• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Thread

FWIW, WF replaced Tacy with Bob Staak, who had been the coach for.... Xavier. Yes, Xavier. Staak was the first coach to take Xavier to the NCAAs. At Xavier, Staak was followed Pete Gillen, then Skip, then Matta, then Sean Miller, then Chris Mack. Pretty good roster of coaches after Staak. BTW, Staak is currently on the Miami Heat payroll as a scout. Staak is now 70.

Yep. Xavier did well. Taking Skip off their hands was a huge boon to the program. I don’t know why some X fans are so mad about losing Mack. Each coach has gotten progressively better.

Yep. Xavier did well. Taking Skip off their hands was a huge boon to the program. I don’t know why some X fans are so mad about losing Mack. Each coach has gotten progressively better.

One of these times, it isn’t going to go so well.

I’m thinking they take a step backwards over the next few years.

I have nothing to support this opinion... I just think they are (over)due for a shitty hire.

Taking Skip off their hands???? They hated losing him to us.

One of these times, it isn’t going to go so well.

I’m thinking they take a step backwards over the next few years.

I have nothing to support this opinion... I just think they are (over)due for a shitty hire.

Especially if you keep hiring internally. As we saw with Grobe some dudes aren't up to the jobs they get promoted to

If I could short sell Xavier basketball, I would do it. Mack left a job where he essentially was set for life for a reason. There is a ceiling there, and they hit it this year with 4 quality seniors. Really hard to hit the sweet spot with great college players that stay for 4 productive years. Xavier is going to drop next year, and recruiting there is never easy. Will be interesting to see how the next 5 years turn out for that program.

Mack could have kept X chasing Wright for years to come. He's made them a top program.

Even in the Emmert era, I can't see the NCAA not coming down on L'ville. Will players want to go there over the next few years if they are on probation?

Arthur Larkins
Mike Scott
Paul Diebert
"Hot" Rod Watson
Cal Boyd (only because Tulane got the death penalty)
Clay Dade

Not as stellar as the Danny Moses/Tim State/Dan Moody-type classes I had the pleasure to watch, but not bad.

Did you know Star/Dandy/Moses were roomies?

Dandy played on our intramural softball team. He had gone home to the hills of TN the weekend before one of games. He returned with his pet 'coon and several jars of the "good stuff"- moonshine that was aged overnight in the barrel and had caramel coloring.

The last things he told Stare and Moses were "not to play with the 'coon" with him around and not to take more than one shot of the shine during the game. Famous last words.

After the game, I went back with their room to get Stare to come to a radio station meeting. Approaching the room, we saw drops of blood. He pushed the door open to see a pile of formerly white towels that were soaked in blood and Moses with a blood-stained towel around his hand. Moses told us he had simply tried to pet the coon.

We saw that one of the Mason jars had 1/3 missing. It took Stare at least three attempts to stand-up. He still wanted to go to the WFDD meeting. About five minutes after getting there, all 6'9 of him passed out on the station floor. When he came to at about midnight, he had no idea where he was or how he got there.

:)

Did you know Star/Dandy/Moses were roomies?

Dandy played on our intramural softball team. He had gone home to the hills of TN the weekend before one of games. He returned with his pet 'coon and several jars of the "good stuff"- moonshine that was aged overnight in the barrel and had caramel coloring.

The last things he told Stare and Moses were "not to play with the 'coon" with him around and not to take more than one shot of the shine during the game. Famous last words.

After the game, I went back with their room to get Stare to come to a radio station meeting. Approaching the room, we saw drops of blood. He pushed the door open to see a pile of formerly white towels that were soaked in blood and Moses with a blood-stained towel around his hand. Moses told us he had simply tried to pet the coon.

We saw that one of the Mason jars had 1/3 missing. It took Stare at least three attempts to stand-up. He still wanted to go to the WFDD meeting. About five minutes after getting there, all 6'9 of him passed out on the station floor. When he came to at about midnight, he had no idea where he was or how he got there.

:)

Knew all 3 well; also think we may have played you guys in the softball playoffs that year: my uncle owned a John Deere Deere dealership so we all wore JD hats if that rings a bell. We were pretty damn good; made it to the semifinals and lost to John Gelich and (I think it was ) "The Poteat Assholes" (Gelich was the Curt Flood of intramural softball: would switch teams every year to go with the best shot of winning a title; I figured the only reason he went to grad school was to get a few more years of "glory" in the circle).

The top of our line-up was as good as any, but the bottom not so much. Our infield was really good.

Played in the Big 4 tournament once. It was sort of an intramural tourney of non-league sports.

Arthur Larkins
Mike Scott
Paul Diebert
"Hot" Rod Watson
Cal Boyd (only because Tulane got the death penalty)
Clay Dade

Losing Kenny Green was the beginning of the end. Then Thomas flunked out the next year and left Bogues and Cline to carry the load.

Back