• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So we won't be the first ever 1-seed to lose to a 16

There’s no arguable. I can’t think of any two close to Chaminade and a #16 seed.

I said arguably because I wasn’t sure what upsets may have happened back in the stone ages of college basketball, but those would be hard to top in any era.

re: chaminade. UVA played a tourney in Tokyo in the middle of the season for some strange reason (Sampson missed both games in Japan because of intestinal distress) and they flew home with a quick stop in Hawaii where for some reason they scheduled another game. Sampson played but was clearly ill. Also, UVA had played Chaminade twice the previous two years so there was a bit of familiarity between the two of them. So yes, a huge upset but it was the last stop in a brutal travel schedule for the Cav's that never should have been scheduled in the first place.

I don’t remember growing up hearing about any major upsets from before I was born. The big upsets I’ve always heard about where Chaminade over Virginia and NC State and Villanova’s unlikely NCAA Championships.

I don’t remember growing up hearing about any major upsets from before I was born. The big upsets I’ve always heard about where Chaminade over Virginia and NC State and Villanova’s unlikely NCAA Championships.

I can't think of any either but there wouldn't have been any upsets of that magnitude in the tournament until the lesser conferences started having tournaments and teams such as UMBC and Radford started getting automatic bids.

re: chaminade. UVA played a tourney in Tokyo in the middle of the season for some strange reason (Sampson missed both games in Japan because of intestinal distress) and they flew home with a quick stop in Hawaii where for some reason they scheduled another game. Sampson played but was clearly ill. Also, UVA had played Chaminade twice the previous two years so there was a bit of familiarity between the two of them. So yes, a huge upset but it was the last stop in a brutal travel schedule for the Cav's that never should have been scheduled in the first place.

This is top rate excuse-making. You should go into politics.

This is top rate excuse-making. You should go into politics.

Let's be honest, UVa should've been able to not play any starters and still beat an NAIA school. I mean yes UMBC was an overwhelming underdog, but they are still a division 1 team. Losing to Chaminade would've been like losing to Guilford College.

Let's be honest, UVa should've been able to not play any starters and still beat an NAIA school. I mean yes UMBC was an overwhelming underdog, but they are still a division 1 team. Losing to Chaminade would've been like losing to Guilford College.

Or Queens ?

Hell, we probably would have lost to Queens this year if the game had been on Queens stately Myers Park campus.

The Michigan State team from 2 years ago although a 2 seed was the favorite to win it all. Middle Tennessee has to rank up as one of the all timers, but their success after that win has made it seem less of an upset than it actually was at the time.

Here's the scenerio still open for us. By the time we get a #1 seed again, the tourney will probably have expanded to at least 128 teams and we can still be the first #1 to ever lose to a #32 seed. The dream isn't dead.

Back