• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boards Loading Slowly & Acting Weird

Sometimes I need to try loading another site to see if it’s my internet or OGBoards loading slowly. Pretty much always the latter.

Yeah, OGB has been very slow lately.

We had nearly 3 straight months of no performance issues fwiw... Saturday was bad but again ended up being an issue with routing on our hosts side I think. Was able to resolve via a ticket w/ them.

I'm sure the 3 mos with no issues is quantifiable. Anecdotally this site takes longer to load than any other site I visit. Doesn't matter if it was my several year old phone, my new phone on 5G, laptop, my wifi, or any other source.

I'm sure the 3 mos with no issues is quantifiable. Anecdotally this site takes longer to load than any other site I visit. Doesn't matter if it was my several year old phone, my new phone on 5G, laptop, my wifi, or any other source.

All the time though? or just some threads? or what? I'd be really interested to see you post the output on your network perf tab in dev tools on Chrome/FF.

Loading this thread on this board just now, I got 1.5 seconds load, finished all assets in about 2 seconds.. comparing with another forum I sometimes read.. that loaded in 1.7 seconds, 2.5 overall for all assets. So we're in the same ballpark. Pulled up a subreddit and it took 1 second to load DOMcontent (after it had been cached, 3 seconds first time around), 2 seconds for full load. Twitter was 1.5 load, 4 second total. I can keep going but I think you get the point.

When this site is going slow, it is usually a routing issue to our hosts OR the machine itself they have our server on having issues with CPU/memory (and, I think, sometimes ultra mega big threads will just load much slower because they're having to pull so much from the DB). I can usually get those things fixed but there is a lag time for reporting/having them look into it. In an ideal world we'd be self-hosted on AWS running all the best CDN via cloudfront so you don't have to make a roundtrip around the world to fetch an avatar PNG, but that's more time than any of us have to manage and maintain that setup. The alternative is finding a new host, which I'd like to do, but man that is one of the shittiest parts of the internet trying to figure out which ones are legitimate and will provide high uptime plus responsive service.

fair. and, for the record, its not every single time i suppose. obviously the large threads but enough others that it feels... random-ish but regular enough to be noticeable.

fair. and, for the record, its not every single time i suppose. obviously the large threads but enough others that it feels... random-ish but regular enough to be noticeable.

The large threads definitely cause loading problem. Maybe we need to set a thread size limit as a performance stop gap?

I just clicked around a bunch and I think like 1 out of every 5 requests was hanging.. so it feels like a network thing (more on our hosts than us) more than a machine thing, but if I keep noticing it I'll try and kick things a little.

Back