• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hire Ryan Odom

You numbskulls that think this is just about 1 game with Ryan Odom have not looked at his record. His record is thin but better than any hire wake has ever made (correct me if I am wrong).

You numbskulls that think this is just about 1 game with Ryan Odom have not looked at his record. His record is thin but better than any hire wake has ever made (correct me if I am wrong).

Did you forget that Skip Prosser existed?

lolwut

Skip had a 68% winning record compared to Odoms 64%. Then again the year before Odom got to UMBC they were 7-25.

8 years as a D1 head coach with a 68% win percentage > 2 years as a D1 head coach with a 64% win percentage.

I don't understand how this is even a discussion.

8 years as a D1 head coach with a 68% win percentage > 2 years as a D1 head coach with a 64% win percentage.

I don't understand how this is even a discussion.

I agree with that. That is why I said it was a thin record. The turn around was remarkable and was done pretty much immediately. No 5 year plan necessary.

I agree with that. That is why I said it was a thin record. The turn around was remarkable and was done pretty much immediately. No 5 year plan necessary.

I assumed by record you meant more than the simple win / loss percentage and instead meant more complete resume.

No doubt he has done a good job there. Let's see what he does with his own players. He only recruited 1 of his top 5 players.

We aren’t going to get a coach with several NCAAT appearances at a mid-major like Skip. So his success before Wake isn’t really relevant to this discussion.

I think we should hire Ryan. Perfect record vs the ACC in the postseason! Definitely better than Wes Miller, who has a .000 winning percentage in the NCAAT and has no ACC coaching experience.

Over the past 8 years, there have been three coaches hired by ACC programs who didn't have multiple NCAAT appearances: James Johnson, Jeff [Redacted], and Danny Manning.

We don't need have to hire a one-hit wonder from a low-major conference. Wake is a better program than that.

BarstoolReags
@BarstoolReags
·
1h
SOURCE: Pitt has discussed the open head coach position with Ryan Odom of UMBC. Just initial discussions so far.

I just don't think we get a vote either way. Besides if there was going to be a firing it would have been done by now. Based on this he's getting more time no matter what.

BarstoolReags
@BarstoolReags
·
1h
SOURCE: Pitt has discussed the open head coach position with Ryan Odom of UMBC. Just initial discussions so far.

Pitt can't have Odom- he bleeds black and gold! :thumbsup:

Over the past 8 years, there have been three coaches hired by ACC programs who didn't have multiple NCAAT appearances: James Johnson, Jeff [Redacted], and Danny Manning.

We don't need have to hire a one-hit wonder from a low-major conference. Wake is a better program than that.

Apparently we aren’t. We are the one hiring 3 straight coaches who didn’t have multiple NCAAT appearances.

I’m all for hiring the real Natty O by the way.

Apparently we aren’t. We are the one hiring 3 straight coaches who didn’t have multiple NCAAT appearances.

I’m all for hiring the real Natty O by the way.

Because Wellman doesn't know how to evaluate coaches, not because Wake is a particularly shitty job.

When did everyone become so LOWF?

Everyone isn’t. The basketball program is. Wellman did that.

Let's see who Pitt hires. That should be our floor. Everything about that program is an absolute disaster right now.

probaby a coach that can actually recognize projects consistently, and get them to contribute to a team. Man it must be nice.

Oh, you’re on the Clawson train now after 4 years of dogging him and saying he would never succeed at Wake? Great insight, there. Your take on basketball programs is equally as bad. Wake pays bball coaches more, draws much higher attendance, invests more in bball, has greater financial resources, is a higher rated academic school, has a better bball history, and has more recognizable NBA players than any of the schools you listed and than many other power 5 schools.

Honestly, not all the way. I still think his ceiling was last year, but I hope I'm wrong. I like his fight.

Where did Clawson fail?

Tennessee. He was brought in to save Fulmer's job as a whiz kid OC

Let's see who Pitt hires. That should be our floor. Everything about that program is an absolute disaster right now.

Yea, right now, just like Wake right now. But you're missing the point, if Pitt beats us to Miller or Odom, if that guy truly is the winner we anticipate our window is gone.

But while we are comparing the two jobs let's look at the last 15 years:

Pitt: 5 Sweet 16s, 13 NCAA field of 64 appearances, 2 Big East Tournament Championships
Wake: 1 Sweet 16, 5 NCAA field of 64 appearances, 0 ACC Championships

More importantly all you need to know about Pitt is that when things went bad they are now doing everything to fix it. We "can't" because we'd be known as a school that fires people too soon--since such a consequence on the next hire was last heard in the 70s or so I'm told.

But Pitt is the floor? And we are in such a better place with a better job?

Back