• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

if Crawford and/or Moore leave early to play in the G League or take some crummy overseas contract, that reflects very poorly on the state of the program

Donovan Mitchell transferring is somewhere on the spectrum between "poor reflection" and "nature of the business"

Woods leaving as a grad transfer, after earning his degree, is pegged all the way to "nature of the business" on that same spectrum

Grad transfers happen just about everywhere that they can happen, and people getting all worked up about this haven't been paying attention to that fact

Keyshawn has absolutely no chance in hell of getting drafted, and he knows that.

Yep. It shouldn't be an incredible surprise that a guy who signs with a school (Charlotte) and then transfers out after one year to Wake after having a great freshman year, would want to transfer again at some point. I am glad that we had him for the 2 seasons he played for us. I don't think he is a big loss for next year, and it really doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of our program. There is a lot of reaching on this thread. Transfers happen, and they especially happen when a player is benched for disciplinary reasons, and then when that same kid is brought off the bench (and he thinks he is a starter). I am glad we will see more mucius next year in place of those Woods minutes.

I just don't understand why Woods would give up on the opportunity to play for @WakeDaNationTBT in a few years. That's the real head-scratcher here. It's not like Justin Gray will be around forever.

I just don't understand why Woods would give up on the opportunity to play for @WakeDaNationTBT in a few years. That's the real head-scratcher here. It's not like Justin Gray will be around forever.

maybe he plans on becoming the #1 fan for that sweet $40k payout when Nikita & Co cut down the nets

Keyshawn appeared to be very unhappy this year. He has one year left to play college basketball. He did the work and got his degree. What would you do?

He had to play with a very selfish Crawford. That would make anybody unhappy I would think. Our offense contained no passing so whoever got the basketball on the inbounds or off the rebound came down court, dribbled, then took a 3 point shot. Very little looking for the open man unless Moore could get a lob dunk.

He had to play with a very selfish Crawford. That would make anybody unhappy I would think. Our offense contained no passing so whoever got the basketball on the inbounds or off the rebound came down court, dribbled, then took a 3 point shot. Very little looking for the open man unless Moore could get a lob dunk.

That's absurd - I bet something like that happened about 1% of the time. In fact, I bet we ended up taking a shot with the shot clock running down more than when someone shot it without a single pass. I'm not saying we were a good passing team. Most of our possessions involved: a guy dribbling some then passing to a guy on the perimeter who then dribbled some before passing to a guy on the perimeter who then dribbled some before passing to a guy on the perimeter, etc. But to say that our offense was just a guard coming down and shooting without a single pass is just false.

That's absurd - I bet something like that happened about 1% of the time. In fact, I bet we ended up taking a shot with the shot clock running down more than when someone shot it without a single pass. I'm not saying we were a good passing team. Most of our possessions involved: a guy dribbling some then passing to a guy on the perimeter who then dribbled some before passing to a guy on the perimeter who then dribbled some before passing to a guy on the perimeter, etc. But to say that our offense was just a guard coming down and shooting without a single pass is just false.

Ball needed to move more quickly on passes so the ball is going one way and the defenders are going the other way. Lots of dribbling between passes gives the defense time to reset.

Dove Men Care endorsements?

Crawford had the 52nd best assist rate in the country this year.

(Crawford Assists / # of Teammates' FGM while Crawford on Court)

What was the rate? What was the top rate?

if the denominator for the stat is number of teammates' made FG, then it doesn't measure unselfishness, as it does not capture how often the PG eschewed the assist opportunity to shoot

and by the way, while the Reff's post was hyperbole, there is no doubt we had a lot of possessions end with the guy who dribbled the ball over halfcourt taking a bad shot with no passes

no doubt

I recall posting on here this very frustration after more than one game

We rarely had a player shoot without any passes-other than on the early fast break. We had the ball get stuck with the dribbler often when we started & reset our sets-most teams do. We were slow getting into our sets-some of that is on us & some of that can be attributed to the opposing defenses. We really struggled when teams “iced” our ball screens.

and by the way, while the Reff's post was hyperbole, there is no doubt we had a lot of possessions end with the guy who dribbled the ball over halfcourt taking a bad shot with no passes

no doubt

I recall posting on here this very frustration after more than one game

As many have said, this almost never happened

The problem with our offenses that the team would stop running its sets through its the last few minutes of the game. That was also compounded by the fact that the team that shot 40% from 3 could never make a clutch one in the last four or five minutes of the game.

The problem with our offenses that the team would stop running its sets through its the last few minutes of the game. That was also compounded by the fact that the team that shot 40% from 3 could never make a clutch one in the last four or five minutes of the game.

This, which to me, is coaching. It's like Manning has failed to create an environ of discipline and preparation that holds when shit happens. When shit happened last year, our offense totally broke down and we made mistakes on defense. I am not a coach, but there has to be a way to create stressful situations in practice to prepare for the last 5 minutes of games. I think some of it is actually counterintuitive - because Manning basically in post game press conferences declares that there are no good loses and no bad wins, he is actually amping up the pressure. I think you have to find some way as a mentor / teacher to enjoy the journey. As long as prepare fully and compete consistently while playing really well, the wins and loses will come. Nobody is going to finish 37-0. Loses happen and that is okay. It is how you lose ...

This, which to me, is coaching. It's like Manning has failed to create an environ of discipline and preparation that holds when shit happens. When shit happened last year, our offense totally broke down and we made mistakes on defense. I am not a coach, but there has to be a way to create stressful situations in practice to prepare for the last 5 minutes of games. I think some of it is actually counterintuitive - because Manning basically in post game press conferences declares that there are no good loses and no bad wins, he is actually amping up the pressure. I think you have to find some way as a mentor / teacher to enjoy the journey. As long as prepare fully and compete consistently while playing really well, the wins and loses will come. Nobody is going to finish 37-0. Loses happen and that is okay. It is how you lose ...

Good post.

I still say shooting was one of our biggest problems. Check out our perimeter players' %.

I still say shooting was one of our biggest problems. Check out our perimeter players' %.

Wilbekin had the highest percentage shooting 3's. However, Crawford (4th in three point shooting %) took the most shots from three, 25% more than Wilbekin who was second in three point shots taken.

Back