• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

But that sentiment nags at every corner of this program. I don't know that a single player has loved playing at Wake Forest since Skip died. Sure, we've had some fleeting moments of success or excitement, but there's been something hollow about them. There's no "I wrestled with the idea of leaving Wake because I love it" talk out of Doral. Out B-level players have no interest in a light 3rd year of playing time to get a chance of being a senior contributor like Mitchell. Manning wears zero Wake gear in front of a national audience. The best we can do is replay the Childress crossover again and again and again while he sits stoically on the bench watching the guards he coaches struggle with the fundamentals.

Ish Smith, LD Williams, and Dream Weaver loved Wake. Granted, they overlapped with Prosser, but the bulk of their career at Wake was after his passing. I got the sense that CJ Harris was a big Wake guy, but that could be revisionist history. I imagine McKie must have loved something if he stayed under [Redacted] for four years.

Curse of the Nut Punch continues...

However, I will say that John Collins seems like he really enjoyed his Wake experience and really loves his Deacs...at least judging from his interviews here in ATL and when he was in attendance for the Tech\Wake game. But I do think there is an "enthusiasm" deficiency with respect to the program right now, and it lacks momentum due to the constant uncertainty, player turnover and overall absence of continuity.

Curse of the Nut Punch continues...

However, I will say that John Collins seems like he really enjoyed his Wake experience and really loves his Deacs...at least judging from his interviews here in ATL and when he was in attendance for the Tech\Wake game. But I do think there is an "enthusiasm" deficiency with respect to the program right now, and it lacks momentum due to the constant uncertainty, player turnover and overall absence of continuity.

This last sentence sounds like something from a business consultants report but it's pretty accurate.

I can't imagine the summary if an actual consultant came in and observed this shit show.

Wake is a place that is not right for everybody. Those who "get" Wake really do love the place and embrace it. Skip "got" Wake and embraced it. So did Favr Odom. None of the three coaches since Skip seem to have done so. To them, Wake was simply the result of a "birdman" calculation. Really good coaches have a palpable passion both for the game and for their own team.

Uh yeah, DC. That’s why many of us are sick and tired of the direction of the program you keep defending.

Everyone is sick and tired of the outcomes over the past 8 years. That doesn't mean any argument for change is correct and any defense of any aspect of the program is wrong.

Manning has positives and negatives, I get that I'm labeled a defender yet I was very critical of him last year. I find the "just fire him and a new coach fixes everything" to be a simpleton's argument.

I find the "just fire him and a new coach fixes everything" to be a simpleton's argument.

I can't say I disagree. You wake up tomorrow with reports DM is gone. Who ends up the coach? Lets say Pat Kelsey coaches this team next year. What becomes the result needed for satisfaction? is it still NCAA birth? I get the excitement of potential change, but it wouldn't take much to bring back the dark clouds once Kelsey loses in Myrtle Beach to Western Kentucky.

How can anyone realize this is either a sinking ship or one that is water logged and will never sail, but think it might be wrong to make a change.

How risk averse can anyone be?

How can anyone realize this is either a sinking ship or one that is water logged and will never sail, but think it might be wrong to make a change.

How risk averse can anyone be?

I mean, what if the life raft sinks too? Why risk it? I'd rather just rearrange the deck chairs here on the Titanic.

Last edited:
I love the people who believe that giving a coach another year to suck (and another year to suck at recruiting) is going to somehow make us more attractive to coaches. As if we just wait 1 more year, then Brad Stevens will be ready to leave the Cs and come to Wake.

We have people saying we need to hire UNCG's coach, for crying out loud. That is how fucking low we are.

I love the people who believe that giving a coach another year to suck (and another year to suck at recruiting) is going to somehow make us more attractive to coaches. As if we just wait 1 more year, then Brad Stevens will be ready to leave the Cs and come to Wake.

We have people saying we need to hire UNCG's coach, for crying out loud. That is how fucking low we are.

We just need to give Wes a 30-year contract.

I don't guess there is a rule against it but have there been many transfers between ACC schools?

I don't guess there is a rule against it but have there been many transfers between ACC schools?

There isn't a rule against it but the ACC puts some difficult conditions on undergraduate transfers between league schools. No scholarship first year, loss of a year of playing time in addition to NCAA transfer sit out requirement.

These do not apply if the student graduates before transferring.

The ACC intraconference transfer rules are part of the reason Mahktar Ndiaye went to Michigan, then transferred to uNC when Wake was forced to release him.

There isn't a rule against it but the ACC puts some difficult conditions on undergraduate transfers between league schools. No scholarship first year, loss of a year of playing time in addition to NCAA transfer sit out requirement.

Doug Doughty's column in the Roanoke Times today says UVa is possible landing spot for Woods. He points out the Cameron Johnson case as the precedent for intra-conference transfers. Doughty is the UVa beat writer so I'll give his report credence. After UMBC, Bennett may finally see the value in instant offense off the bench.

Is Key graduating?

Good for Key if he finds a good landing spot. I don't begrudge him a bit as he is doing what is best for his career. He has graduated from college, and he is making a business decision. Hooking up with a Virginia or Louisville could very well afford him opportunities that Wake might not be able to offer next year (particularly Virginia). I don't feel any need to cheer for his career, but there is plenty of evidence to argue for his plan of action. The same can't be said for our former center.

Doug Doughty's column in the Roanoke Times today says UVa is possible landing spot for Woods. He points out the Cameron Johnson case as the precedent for intra-conference transfers. Doughty is the UVa beat writer so I'll give his report credence. After UMBC, Bennett may finally see the value in instant offense off the bench.

Wow. That would shock me. Not because of the ACC connection, but you don't play for Bennett unless you are 100% focused on defense at all times. Not exactly a Keyshawn strength. Would be a fascinating case-study, because if Key thrives and plays good defense under Bennett, that forever any eliminates any argument that personnel was the primary issue for WF's recent defensive struggles. Can't see Key playing for UVA (even though UVA could use his offense).

Good for Key if he finds a good landing spot. I don't begrudge him a bit as he is doing what is best for his career. He has graduated from college, and he is making a business decision. Hooking up with a Virginia or Louisville could very well afford him opportunities that Wake might not be able to offer next year (particularly Virginia). I don't feel any need to cheer for his career, but there is plenty of evidence to argue for his plan of action. The same can't be said for our former center.

If I was him I think I would make the same decision. The chance to win a Natty next year with Virginia, or stay another year playing in an empty arena, apathetic fanbase, and the worst guards assistant coach in P5 basketball? I would take a hard pass on playing with Danny and the boys.

Back