• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

If he has visited Ohio St, Ville, & UVA is it assumed they all have offered him a spot? Do coaches bring in grad transfers to visit and then turn around & decide the kid isn't a good fit?

If he has visited Ohio St, Ville, & UVA is it assumed they all have offered him a spot? Do coaches bring in grad transfers to visit and then turn around & decide the kid isn't a good fit?

No idea. Good question.

You'd think w/ a player like Woods, you'd know what you are going to get (from playing against him or watching game footage). And you could just talk over the phone about what kind of role you'd expect that player to fill. I'd assume the visit would be to check out the facilities and get a better feel for the vibe (for lack of a better term) of the program... I guess the coaches could decide they just don't think a player is a good fit personality or culture -wise.

Wow. That would shock me. Not because of the ACC connection, but you don't play for Bennett unless you are 100% focused on defense at all times. Not exactly a Keyshawn strength. Would be a fascinating case-study, because if Key thrives and plays good defense under Bennett, that forever any eliminates any argument that personnel was the primary issue for WF's recent defensive struggles. Can't see Key playing for UVA (even though UVA could use his offense).

that's the lazy argument to begin with

If he can really get a xfer to UVA I wouldn't feel as bad about him leaving (i.e. really upgrading his situation), if he winds up a UNC-W that would say something completely different.

In fact, I'd like to see him on a better team with a better coach to see if his flaws are his own or Wake's.

I don't get the sense that Key is angry with Wake or Manning. He got plenty of PT, I think he just wanted to be on a winning team.
This apparently wasn't his motivation at the time of his first transfer.

I think not starting had to play a big role in his frustration at Wake. Its one thing to not start on a top 25 team that makes a deep run in the tournament. Its another to not start when you are 11-20 and struggle to win close games. Combine that with getting disciplined for one game, and the dad/Manning issue and it is not a shock that he chose to move on for his final year. If he transfers in conference I will root for him to flop big time, but if he transfers out of conference I will probably root for him a bit. I can't bring myself to rooting for a former Wake guy who is playing in our conference. That might be shallow, but that is just my visceral reaction.

I think not starting had to play a big role in his frustration at Wake. Its one thing to not start on a top 25 team that makes a deep run in the tournament. Its another to not start when you are 11-20 and struggle to win close games. Combine that with getting disciplined for one game, and the dad/Manning issue and it is not a shock that he chose to move on for his final year. If he transfers in conference I will root for him to flop big time, but if he transfers out of conference I will probably root for him a bit. I can't bring myself to rooting for a former Wake guy who is playing in our conference. That might be shallow, but that is just my visceral reaction.

It's very shallow. KW represented Wake and himself well. I'll be rooting for him regardless of where he ends up transferring.

It's very shallow. KW represented Wake and himself well. I'll be rooting for him regardless of where he ends up transferring.

Bullshit. Such a LOWF attitude. You think UNC fans would politely cheer for a kid who transferred to Duke? This kind of thinking is where you end up when someone like redacted murders your program I guess.

Bullshit. Such a LOWF attitude. You think UNC fans would politely cheer for a kid who transferred to Duke? This kind of thinking is where you end up when someone like redacted murders your program I guess.

I used to have you on ignore...now I remember why I did.

Using UNC fans as a benchmark on how to treat former players is a poor idea, and we don't really have a rival school no matter how much we'd like to pretend we do so it's kind of a moot point regarding where KW transfers to. And despite the fact that you pump more sunshine into your posts than most, (except for maybe Charlotte and RChil) you calling treating a former player with respect LOWF is pretty funny. This coming from the guy that has been pro-Bzzz and pro-Manning because of the 'progress' they've shown over their tenure.

And one more huge distinction to make is the difference between criticizing players and coaches. The coaches, AD, BOT, etc...get paid a lot of money to make important decisions. My desire to support a former player who is leaving with his reputation intact has nothing to do with the ill will I hold against those at the top that have, how'd you put it...murdered our program.

Anyway, carry on.

oooooh.gif

Meh, I am not obligated to cheer for anyone, particularly someone who chooses on their own to leave my alma mater. I don't begrudge him, but I am not under moral obligation to cheer for him.

Using UNC fans as a benchmark on how to treat former players is a poor idea, and we don't really have a rival school no matter how much we'd like to pretend we do so it's kind of a moot point regarding where KW transfers to. And despite the fact that you pump more sunshine into your posts than most, (except for maybe Charlotte and RChil) you calling treating a former player with respect LOWF is pretty funny. This coming from the guy that has been pro-Bzzz and pro-Manning because of the 'progress' they've shown over their tenure.

And one more huge distinction to make is the difference between criticizing players and coaches. The coaches, AD, BOT, etc...get paid a lot of money to make important decisions. My desire to support a former player who is leaving with his reputation intact has nothing to do with the ill will I hold against those at the top that have, how'd you put it...murdered our program.

Anyway, carry on.

You're calling Wrangor "very shallow" for holding a grudge against a player who leaves Wake for a rival. You want to cheer for UVA or UNC or whatever, by all means, go ahead. Ignore the UNC part, pick Duke or UVA or any other dedicated fanbase of a successful program.

To be clear - we've sucked for a while, if fans bolt that's understandable. But this crap where you trash Wake fans for showing some remnant of what it was like when Wake was good - hating a rival team for example, is garbage behavior. We could use a lot more "very shallow" fans like Wrangor.

Being overly-optimistic on these boards is a sin 100 times worse than being overly-negative.

You're calling Wrangor "very shallow" for holding a grudge against a player who leaves Wake for a rival. You want to cheer for UVA or UNC or whatever, by all means, go ahead. Ignore the UNC part, pick Duke or UVA or any other dedicated fanbase of a successful program.

To be clear - we've sucked for a while, if fans bolt that's understandable. But this crap where you trash Wake fans for showing some remnant of what it was like when Wake was good - hating a rival team for example, is garbage behavior. We could use a lot more "very shallow" fans like Wrangor.

Being overly-optimistic on these boards is a sin 100 times worse than being overly-negative.

A few points:

-KW isn't leaving Wake for a rival because we don't really have one (we also don't even know where he's going yet)
-I appreciate Wrangor's posts, although they sometimes are lazily written
-I'm not trashing any Wake fan(s). I like the fact that there are still some people that show some grit and have decided to 'dig deep' during the failed program building initiative that's occurred for 10 years now. I simply decide to direct any vitriol to the people at the top who have been making program altering decisions and getting paid to do so with little to no accountability. Holding a grudge against a player that wants to transfer to a better team and build their skill set before they run out of time is completely understandable, IMHO. I think it's pretty classless to criticize them on their way out the door instead of trying to understand why they're leaving in the first place and focusing all attention on fixing that problem instead.
-Here's an idea...just be realistic. It's a good balance between the two extremes you're presenting. The reality is that we've been terrible for a while and a lot of the players deserve a tremendous amount of respect for fighting through the bad times. Sorry you see it differently. Go Deacs

I don't view Woods as a typical transfer

He's been at WF for 3 years; he's graduating and he has options

Calling someone "very shallow" is pretty derogatory. You then backed it up with an attack on me, so you seem to be fine directing your vitriol toward Wake fans.

Bottom line is if a Wake fan says "I'm not going to root for a player who leaves Wake for a program in our own conference" and your response is to call them "very shallow" and now "classless" - then it's a garbage statement.

Just a reminder - nobody called you anything for supporting him. Nobody even said you shouldn't support him. This is simply you telling other fans how to act.

Shallow or not, TITCR. There are plenty of schools out there that he could play for - by choosing to play for an in conference rival (whatever some of you want to say, any in-conference foe is a rival to some extent) he is choosing to play against my team - and his former teammates and coaches. He is free to do so. I am also free to pull against him.

I hope he goes somewhere else so I can pull for him - I have nothing against him as a player and he will always be a member of the WF family...

Calling someone "very shallow" is pretty derogatory. You then backed it up with an attack on me, so you seem to be fine directing your vitriol toward Wake fans.

Bottom line is if a Wake fan says "I'm not going to root for a player who leaves Wake for a program in our own conference" and your response is to call them "very shallow" and now "classless" - then it's a garbage statement.

Just a reminder - nobody called you anything for supporting him. Nobody even said you shouldn't support him. This is simply you telling other fans how to act.

Calm down...nobody's attacking you. You said I was being LOWF for supporting a transferring player after Wrangor said ..."If he transfers in conference I will root for him to flop big time." You were pro-Bzzz and you've been pro-Manning because we've shown 'progress'. I think that is more of a LOWF mentality than supporting a transferring player who wants to move on to a better program/overall situation to show off his talents before his time runs out.

It's not like anyone is going to be hoping he drops 30 on us if we play him again, but he's always going to be a member of the WF community so he deserves some respect. Hoping he 'flops big time' is a bullshit comment. Feel free to support it if you'd like to...I don't. Go Deacs

Calm down...nobody's attacking you. You said I was being LOWF for supporting a transferring player after Wrangor said ..."If he transfers in conference I will root for him to flop big time." You were pro-Bzzz and you've been pro-Manning because we've shown 'progress'. I think that is more of a LOWF mentality than supporting a transferring player who wants to move on to a better program/overall situation to show off his talents before his time runs out.

It's not like anyone is going to be hoping he drops 30 on us if we play him again, but he's always going to be a member of the WF community so he deserves some respect. Hoping he 'flops big time' is a bullshit comment. Feel free to support it if you'd like to...I don't. Go Deacs

There are plenty of people here that would love it if Keyshawn dropped 30 on WF next year. Piling on is fun.

Back