• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

Maybe if a player is going to be on the 5 year plan, we ought to stop paying for them to attend summer school so they can graduate after 4 years and transfer out at their peak performance value.

we just need to accept the fact that if we take a transfer, said transfer will probably be able to graduate before using his eligibility and will therefore be an unrestricted free agent before that last season, as Woods is this year

Wish Coach Jones could recruit him back like he did Matt Williams.

Too late Key has committed to Ohio State. At least we don’t have him in the ACC.

Best of luck to him. Don't really blame him.

Very interested to see how he does next year.

Would love to hear some predictions from folks around here.

That article on Ohio State Rivals makes it sound like they expect him to play PG. I guess their other guard is more of a 2.

Good luck with that!

From Rivals:

“There will be the question if Woods will be able to be a true point guard for the Buckeyes with close to a 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Even in Woods' best season, he only averaged 3.5 assists per game, that number was cut almost in half last season.

He will join C.J. Jackson, another guard who is better off the ball, but someone is going to have to run the point with all of Ohio State's primary ballhandlers from a season ago off the team now.”

Very interested to see how he does next year.

Would love to hear some predictions from folks around here.

That article on Ohio State Rivals makes it sound like they expect him to play PG. I guess their other guard is more of a 2.

Good luck with that!

In some ways, this is the best thing for him. He is too short to be a pro SG anywhere so if he develops some PG skills and shows that ability then maybe he lands a nice Euro deal.

From Rivals:

“There will be the question if Woods will be able to be a true point guard for the Buckeyes with close to a 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Even in Woods' best season, he only averaged 3.5 assists per game, that number was cut almost in half last season.

He will join C.J. Jackson, another guard who is better off the ball, but someone is going to have to run the point with all of Ohio State's primary ballhandlers from a season ago off the team now.”

This makes my day. Woods at the point. Maybe that's what his dad told Manning that his son needed to play the point. Now I actually might tune into a few games to see this in action.

not as much as the deacs

I think we’ll be better than OSU.

Matta left the cupboard full for Holtmann last year.

They are losing their best player (Bates-Diop), 4 of their top 6 in minutes, and the best freshman they have coming in is a SG (like Woods).

Holtmann is a good coach, but I think they’ll struggle next year. Manning, of course, is the wild card.

oh man, Woods playing PG. I don't think buckeye fans are going to be happy with those results. Good luck to Keyshawyn, he's gonna need it.

The more I think about this, outside of him staying, this is probably the best outcome. If he had any desire to play PG, it wasn't going to happen at Wake. If Crawford comes back Woods is the #3 option. If he left just to be the 'instance offense guy' at UVA, Clemson, L'ville etc that would be more of an indictment of our program and Manning. Of course I could just be reading too much into this (probably), but it makes a lot more sense if that is what was behind his decision to leave.

Quick perusal of Buckeye message boards and they are elated. Makes me even more piased off about our entire situation.

They are getting a senior guard that is career 47% shooter, 42% from three and 77% from the line. He has averaged 10.9 points, three rebounds and two assists a game while committing 1.5 turnovers during a 93 game career in arguably the toughest conference in college basketball. Imagine the elation of this board if the Deacs were gaining someone with this resume. KW is a big loss. His departure is not addition by subtraction.

It’s pretty clear that Woods point of emphasis was playing time and not the success of the team. At best Ohio State is an even step with Wake next year, but in reality they will be worse and playing time will be more available. My guess is that he saw that Crawford, Chill, and Brown were all locked in for major minutes and that Mucius was a threat (and even hoard potentially at the 3G. He went to the best program he could find guaranteed minutes.

I don’t blame him but he his a Buckeye now, not a Deac. Best of luck to him and I hope Michigan beats him by 30.

Back