• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

It’s pretty clear that Woods point of emphasis was playing time and not the success of the team. At best Ohio State is an even step with Wake next year, but in reality they will be worse and playing time will be more available. My guess is that he saw that Crawford, Chill, and Brown were all locked in for major minutes and that Mucius was a threat (and even hoard potentially at the 3G. He went to the best program he could find guaranteed minutes.

I don’t blame him but he his a Buckeye now, not a Deac. Best of luck to him and I hope Michigan beats him by 30.
lol

They are getting a senior guard that is career 47% shooter, 42% from three and 77% from the line. He has averaged 10.9 points, three rebounds and two assists a game while committing 1.5 turnovers during a 93 game career in arguably the toughest conference in college basketball. Imagine the elation of this board if the Deacs were gaining someone with this resume. KW is a big loss. His departure is not addition by subtraction.

Not only all these things, but Woods was also the closest thing WF had to being a true student athlete, as he was the only All ACC Academic Deac. BlackjackMc, your posts are normally amongst the most level headed and intelligent of anyone who posts on any of these boards, congrats to you. Meanwhile, ever since Woods said he was leaving, the Manning supporters have continually told us that he wasn't any good anyhow.

lol or meh all you want, but look at their roster for next year and tell me how they are going to be a good team.

I have no insight into why Key decided to leave, of course, but I do agree that he absolutely expects to play 25+ mpg... That wasn't going to happen at UVA (or probably even Louisville).

FWIW, I don't think Woods is making a bad decision in going to Ohio State... Holtmann knows him well, having recruited him 3 separate times now. Holtmann is not a bad coach, and Woods will have an opportunity to become a more complete player... Probably good for his post-college prospects.

They have a coach that knows how to coach defense, which helps withstand departures. Wake doesn't. Everything needs to go perfectly for us to even be a bubble team. That's why. It's as simple as that. Wasn't OSU predicted in the preseason to finish in the bottom half of the B10 last year? Wesson, Jackson, Woods is a decent core.

Last edited:
Matta "leaving the cupboard full" for Holtmann is pretty misleading. They progressively got worse and worse from 2013 on, and were T10 in the lowly B1G (and lost to Rutgers in the B1G tournament) in Matta's final year. They had several transfers out, and only one proven player on the roster last year in KBD. I thought they'd finish near the bottom of the conference (so did the media), yet Holtmann took them to 15-3.

Despite their apparent roster deficiencies next year I'd give them a much better chance of making The Dance, primarily due to Holtmann and a weak conference.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180107/mens-basketball--izzo-holtmann-heap-credit-praise-on-former-ohio-state-coach-matta

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball/2018/01/90115/chris-holtmann-tom-izzo-give-credit-to-thad-matta-for-ohio-state-basketball-resurgence

JaQuan Lyle was shown the door by Matta (or he quit, depending on who you ask)
Matta recruited Bates-Diop, Tate, and Williams... The seniors from last season that had the biggest impact on OSU's performance
Big Ten POY Bates-Diop was injured in Matta's final season... The only season where he didn't win 20 games at OSU
Tate was out the year before that for the end of the season (including the B1G & NCAA tourneys)

No question that Holtmann did a great job last year, but Matta had some shit luck the last couple of years at OSU. He didn't do himself any favors, but OSU was left with plenty of talent on the roster for 2017-18 after Matta was fired.

When people say Matta left the cupboard bare, they were referring to 2017 & 2018 recruiting. Holtmann improved 2017 by bringing in Kyle Young (had originally committed to Butler). 2018 recruiting ended up OK... They missed on most of their targets and aren't bringing in anyone expected to make an immediate impact (with the possible exception of Luther Muhammad, who plays SG like Woods).

I understand giving them the benefit of the doubt this year, given OSU has been an elite program for over a decade now... But I think they will struggle next year (or at least be worse than Wake Forest). 100% agree that Holtmann is a good coach and can get his guys to exert effort on defense... but I'm not sure the roster this year is good enough for them to make the NCAAs.

Just my opinion.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180107/mens-basketball--izzo-holtmann-heap-credit-praise-on-former-ohio-state-coach-matta

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball/2018/01/90115/chris-holtmann-tom-izzo-give-credit-to-thad-matta-for-ohio-state-basketball-resurgence

JaQuan Lyle was shown the door by Matta (or he quit, depending on who you ask)
Matta recruited Bates-Diop, Tate, and Williams... The seniors from last season that had the biggest impact on OSU's performance
Big Ten POY Bates-Diop was injured in Matta's final season... The only season where he didn't win 20 games at OSU
Tate was out the year before that for the end of the season (including the B1G & NCAA tourneys)

No question that Holtmann did a great job last year, but Matta had some shit luck the last couple of years at OSU. He didn't do himself any favors, but OSU was left with plenty of talent on the roster for 2017-18 after Matta was fired.

When people say Matta left the cupboard bare, they were referring to 2017 & 2018 recruiting. Holtmann improved 2017 by bringing in Kyle Young (had originally committed to Butler). 2018 recruiting ended up OK... They missed on most of their targets and aren't bringing in anyone expected to make an immediate impact (with the possible exception of Luther Muhammad, who plays SG like Woods).

I understand giving them the benefit of the doubt this year, given OSU has been an elite program for over a decade now... But I think they will struggle next year (or at least be worse than Wake Forest). 100% agree that Holtmann is a good coach and can get his guys to exert effort on defense... but I'm not sure the roster this year is good enough for them to make the NCAAs.

Just my opinion.

How fun would it be if we got them in the ACC/Big10 challenge

Matta "leaving the cupboard full" for Holtmann is pretty misleading. They progressively got worse and worse from 2013 on, and were T10 in the lowly B1G (and lost to Rutgers in the B1G tournament) in Matta's final year. They had several transfers out, and only one proven player on the roster last year in KBD. I thought they'd finish near the bottom of the conference (so did the media), yet Holtmann took them to 15-3.

Despite their apparent roster deficiencies next year I'd give them a much better chance of making The Dance, primarily due to Holtmann and a weak conference.

Will be interested to see how tOSU does next year. tOSU loses Bates-Diop who was the best player in the B10 last year, and they also lose three other seniors. Agree that the B10 is weaker than the ACC, but that does not necessarily make it easier to make the NCAAs as only 4 teams from that conference made the NCAAs last year, and the other 3 that made it were really good (Michigan, MSU and Purdue). As Nebraska can attest a strong conference record (13-5) does not mean an NCAA bid is a lock.

That said, tOSU was the #16 team last year. WF was #89. WF has a looooong way to go to be better than tOSU. Can't agree that WF has a better chance to dance next year than tOSU.

Point guard?

No, no, not at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't even consider Woods a combo-guard. Pretty much a straight up two guard. His physical abilities and skill set just doesn't lend itself to him being the primary ball handler and creator.

Woods is a scorer. When he is on, he can light the scoreboard.

I think GT not getting the ask is a real possibility if Okogie stays in the draft. They are going to be terrible next year.

If Robinson & Bowman stay in draft, BC is also going to be garbage.

Woods at point guard would be quite the experiment. Woods did not show the quickness usually associated with point guards while at Wake. His strengths were shooting threes and driving for layups using his strength to score through contact.

I think GT not getting the ask is a real possibility if Okogie stays in the draft. They are going to be terrible next year.

How many times do we play GT and Pitt next season? The fight for 13th continues!

Back