• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

It's almost like something like that could create lower morale and a lot of locker room discord, huh.

Seems like people trying to prop up a poor coach could blame the injured player too.

Not trying to call out anyone but..... weren't you a founding member of the sunshine brigade back in the day?

The sunshine brigade has existed long before either of us were born. But, sure, if we're holding each other accountable for posts we made six years ago, then sure. I made a lot of shitty posts when I really wanted to believe that there was hope/a plan/competence.

Seems like people trying to prop up a poor coach could blame the injured player too.

Yep. And these same assholes pretend like they care about the kids/student-athletes.

The sunshine brigade has existed long before either of us were born. But, sure, if we're holding each other accountable for posts we made six years ago, then sure. I made a lot of shitty posts when I really wanted to believe that there was hope/a plan/competence.

Yep. And these same assholes pretend like they care about the kids/student-athletes.

But do you think we will be good again? And if so, what is your predicted year?

I agree. Feels like he was rushed back and never healed.

Yep. I posted this last year. We played him 2-3 weeks too early. I thought it was especially dumb that we rushed him back to play Duke,.

Strick, we all have our own Come to Jesus moments when it comes to fan-hood. Some learn quicker than others. But I think we all start out with rosier shaded lenses when we start out. I'd be willing to guess that the % of folks who went to school at Wake in the halcyon mid-90's (like myself) probably reached their threshold much sooner than others after 2009-2010, perhaps even sooner. There's only so much absurdity one can take without developing defense mechanisms. So there is definitely a majority here who like to take the frustrations out on a message board.

But do you think we will be good again? And if so, what is your predicted year?

This may be a controversial take, but we'll never be good again as long as Randolph Childress is on our staff. Childress may be a good assistant coach, but that whole situation just reeks of the rotting flesh of the [Redacted] years and he will always be a human shield to deflect any notion of accountability from the fan base.

We're probably 5 years away from being good again after we fire Danny Manning. Whoever comes in will have to build up recruiting relationships from scratch (Manning's shortcuts have yielded absolutely nothing outside of a murder charge) and our competition gets better every year.

Pat Kelsey would be in good shape with recruiting contacts.

Pat Kelsey would be in good shape with recruiting contacts.

I can't imagine Wellman hiring a Prosser staff member. My sense is that the AD would consider that to be admitting that the strategy of breaking ties with Gaudio was a mistake. An insider can confirm or deny, but when I still kept in touch with AD/basketball folks this was my sense.

I would love to hire Kelsey, though, and agree with you RJ that he would be in good shape with recruiting contacts.

This may be a controversial take, but we'll never be good again as long as Randolph Childress is on our staff. Childress may be a good assistant coach, but that whole situation just reeks of the rotting flesh of the [Redacted] years and he will always be a human shield to deflect any notion of accountability from the fan base.

We're probably 5 years away from being good again after we fire Danny Manning. Whoever comes in will have to build up recruiting relationships from scratch (Manning's shortcuts have yielded absolutely nothing outside of a murder charge) and our competition gets better every year.

Our #1 assistant coach is still in his first coaching job. Ever. Let that sink in. He’s my favorite player of all time but there’s no way he should have been hired and promoted.

Our #1 assistant coach is still in his first coaching job. Ever. Let that sink in. He’s my favorite player of all time but there’s no way he should have been hired and promoted.

Nothing wrong with him starting as 3rd assistant at Wake. But he needs to go elsewhere and get a different perspective on coaching if he wants to be a really good coach. He needs some time under one of the better training coaches out there. Would love for him to have a few years working for Jay Wright or someone like that.

I can't imagine Wellman hiring a Prosser staff member. My sense is that the AD would consider that to be admitting that the strategy of breaking ties with Gaudio was a mistake. An insider can confirm or deny, but when I still kept in touch with AD/basketball folks this was my sense.

I would love to hire Kelsey, though, and agree with you RJ that he would be in good shape with recruiting contacts.

Who says Wellman will be doing the hiring?

I want Kelsey. That dude will bring an unrivaled passion to Wake to restore the program to the glory days of his mentor Skip.

Nothing wrong with him starting as 3rd assistant at Wake. But he needs to go elsewhere and get a different perspective on coaching if he wants to be a really good coach. He needs some time under one of the better training coaches out there. Would love for him to have a few years working for Jay Wright or someone like that.

yeah, Chill's experience as an assistant coach has been under DM and you know who; he needs to work under somebody really good

WF must hire the best available coach. If he has a past connection to WF, that is great, but it should not be a selection criteria, at all.

One of the contributing factors to the 10 years basketball program spiral has been the athletic director's insistence on keeping WF players/coaches (Dino, Battle, Rusty, Chill) on the staff. When WF has selected the best available coach, he has to be free to name his staff without restriction or favoritism to former players/coaches.

Keyshawn with an Ofer in 16 minutes yesterday in a blow out W against a non-P5 South Carolina school. Given our lack of guard depth/experience, have to think he would have been gotten more productive minutes here compared to that.

Back