• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

I wish Key the best dude balled out, sometimes on one foot.

Key back to Charlotte to play under the new 49ers coach?? That would be some funny shit.

Seems dumb to be criticizing him when we don't even know what his intentions are. Maybe he just wants to start making money now that he has his degree. That's the more likely scenario to me at least.

TITCR

I really hate the relentless #blametheplayers faction on here. We sucked this year. I don’t blame anybody for transferring.

a player's parent injecting himself or herself into a coach's basketball decisions is an undeniable red flag. It's pathetic when high school parents try to do it (it's even pathetic when middle school age parents do it), and college parents must STFU when it comes to basketball (or football or baseball or soccer) decisions that involve your kid. Your son is a man. If Keyshawn has an issue, he should be the one communicating with the coach. Not dad. Ever.

I'm Steve Alford and I approve this message.

If Keyshawn is looking to play more college hoop, he needs to avoid any program that values man to man defensive skills.

BTW, for those that claim Keyshawn transferring twice is not a red flag, a player's parent injecting himself or herself into a coach's basketball decisions is an undeniable red flag. It's pathetic when high school parents try to do it (it's even pathetic when middle school age parents do it), and college parents must STFU when it comes to basketball (or football or baseball or soccer) decisions that involve your kid. Your son is a man. If Keyshawn has an issue, he should be the one communicating with the coach. Not dad. Ever.

The wave of sentiment on this board is to instantly blame Manning for every issue that arises, but if the report is true that Keyshawn's dad is agitating for his kid or otherwise trying to involve himself in the WF program as anything other than a spectator, Keyshawn has to go.

I’m no Manning apologist, but this is the truth.

If Keyshawn is looking to play more college hoop, he needs to avoid any program that values man to man defensive skills.

BTW, for those that claim Keyshawn transferring twice is not a red flag, a player's parent injecting himself or herself into a coach's basketball decisions is an undeniable red flag. It's pathetic when high school parents try to do it (it's even pathetic when middle school age parents do it), and college parents must STFU when it comes to basketball (or football or baseball or soccer) decisions that involve your kid. Your son is a man. If Keyshawn has an issue, he should be the one communicating with the coach. Not dad. Ever.

The wave of sentiment on this board is to instantly blame Manning for every issue that arises, but if the report is true that Keyshawn's dad is agitating for his kid or otherwise trying to involve himself in the WF program as anything other than a spectator, Keyshawn has to go.

I knew a high school coach who told his players that if any parent approached him about playing time, that would be the end of their playing days for him. As far as I know, no one challenged his threat.

This is all part of Manning's grand plan to improve his substitution patterns next season. If all goes well he will only have 5 scholarship players and he will only sub in walk-on's if a starter fouls out or gets injured.

Manning not freely playing walk-ons would be an improvement.

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. He was honored at senior night; anybody paying attention knew he wasn't coming back.

Also, the dude is leaving with a wake forest degree. I'm not going to fault any athlete that wants to use the last bit of their eligibility elsewhere.

You are correct. The red flag is about Key's parent's more than Danny. This is Key's second transfer.

I'm not saying Danny is absolved from anything, but this is more about other factors.

+1

Taught Key and dude is intelligent, friendly, and real. Any criticism of him as a person is not warranted.

Good luck with whatever he chooses to do. He is a great Deac.

Manning needs to be fired. You can not build a successful program at Wake Forest with all this ridiculous roster turnover. He's not recruiting on Dook and Kentucky levels.

Also, good for Keyshawn. Can't blame him for wanting to get away from this mess of a basketball program. If any decent team would take him he should have transferred.

I would guess that Key will test his luck overseas. Guys like him can make a great living with the Euro-style of play...Or old mans game, as some call it.

I echo that I wish Keyshawn nothing but the best in life. By all accounts seemed like a top notch dude who represented us well.

We are point guard shopping, aren't we?

One (phantom) point guard in the 2018 class. Staff looking at one or more additional guys for 2018. Probably will need an announcement before another one will commit. Big difference in competing with a senior who has started three years so far and a junior who has spent his career as a backup so far.

So how many schollies do we have left for 2018?

We have 6 returning players (as of now, if we go under 6 just can Manning immediately) with 4 NLI's signed and coming in, which is 10 total players. NCAA allows 13 scholarships per year, so we can take 3 more people in any permutation of grad transfers/regular transfers/2018 freshman.

Back