• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

It’s called a silver lining for a reason. It sucks overall, and is a net negative, but there are things that might mitigate some of the negative effects. It makes sense to discuss them

Yeah, I get that. I'm just venting because it's a reflection of how shitty our program is right now.

For all the folks who are saying we’re better off without Woods remember our coach wanted him back. That tells me losing him will hurt us.

How do you know that? Seems like there was some talk of Woods' dad being a problem, which I have no idea is true or not.

I know it because DM said it in a TV interview and to Connor who put it in the story in the WSJ

Without knowing the schedule at all or what the final roster will look like:

18-13 (7-11), KP 60

A whole lot of meh

I think that’s about where KP had us to start this season. Depressing that we drastically underperformed that base case.

Agree that a season like that next year would be a whole lot of meh. Especially because Manning probably keeps his job under that scenario.

I think that’s about where KP had us to start this season. Depressing that we drastically underperformed that base case.

Agree that a season like that next year would be a whole lot of meh. Especially because Manning probably keeps his job under that scenario.

If Wellman is still here probably. I’m not convinced he will be, though.

I know it because DM said it in a TV interview and to Connor who put it in the story in the WSJ

I don't doubt it, but I just looked at the Journal and saw two articles about Woods leaving and all I saw regarding Manning was him thanking Woods and wishing him the best. Maybe I missed another article.

Last big athletics and sports building projects should conclude in a yesr. Wellman could retire shortly theteafter and dsy he was leaving Wake great facilities. A good note on which to go out.

I’ll take the over on the first two and under on the last. Winner gets to pick avatar for the following basketball season. No nudity/sexuality or foul language (don’t want my kids looking over my shoulder and asking me an awkward question.

Deal? I have to win all three to win the bet. That means:

7-11 or better in ACC
Above .500 overall
KP under 100.

Sure sounds good. Im not a big KP dork so point taken. I hope you win (i think?).

What else is Manning going to say except he wanted Woods to stay and he wishes him well?

I don't doubt it, but I just looked at the Journal and saw two articles about Woods leaving and all I saw regarding Manning was him thanking Woods and wishing him the best. Maybe I missed another article.

I recall the quote. Perhaps from Les because I rarely read anything from the WSJ.

It will be interesting to see what schools Keyshawn ends up looking at. I'm torn between Keyshawn would really help us next year and whats up with a dude transferring twice with ample playing time at each place. But I wish him well.

I don’t think Manning necessarily wants to play a four guard lineup. The problem from early on this season is he only trusted 5 guys on the roster (chaundee as the 6th to a much lesser extent due to his youth and getting a bit lost off the ball on d) and the ones he trusted most were those four guards. As bad and as inexperienced as we were at the three and four that makes sense. Thompson (ugh), Mitchell (unproven esp at start), sarr and eggleston (not ready early) forced that a little too. It’s a bit of stubbornness around only playing who he can trust bigger minutes, which can be a positive with a deep, well-rounded, experienced roster. See Duke/Syracuse as a couple programs with more talent than us that are obviously run in that manner. The downside to it with less talent: TVH plays over bad/inexperienced scholarship players.

As it pertains to this year, the four biggest issues with it were 1) this is Manning’s roster; 2) he demonstrated a continued pattern of being too slow to develop that trust; it’s got to be faster when situations dictate; 3) not trusting Doral until 4-5 Games may have cost us some of our 1-4 start; and 4) most importantly, playing four guards that can’t guard or rebound at the same time clearly wasn’t working, and it cost us dearly in so many late game situations.

I doubt we play 4 guards much next year and hopefully a more balanced roster makes avoiding this easier. Woods absence will remove at least one more guard he trusts. Hopefully we don’t have gaping holes at consecutive positions next year which should provide a lot more flexibility. It was a huge defensive hole at the 2-3 for the better part of the three years prior to this one, and an overall void at the 3-4 that killed us this year. At the least we should avoid having that issue next year, and we better start winning once we have a bunch of pieces that finally fit together.

Good post. And part of Manning’s problem is that he trusts the wrong players or at least trust them too much while not trusting others enough.

I don’t think Manning necessarily wants to play a four guard lineup. The problem from early on this season is he only trusted 5 guys on the roster (chaundee as the 6th to a much lesser extent due to his youth and getting a bit lost off the ball on d) and the ones he trusted most were those four guards. As bad and as inexperienced as we were at the three and four that makes sense. Thompson (ugh), Mitchell (unproven esp at start), sarr and eggleston (not ready early) forced that a little too. It’s a bit of stubbornness around only playing who he can trust bigger minutes, which can be a positive with a deep, well-rounded, experienced roster. See Duke/Syracuse as a couple programs with more talent than us that are obviously run in that manner. The downside to it with less talent: TVH plays over bad/inexperienced scholarship players.

As it pertains to this year, the four biggest issues with it were 1) this is Manning’s roster; 2) he demonstrated a continued pattern of being too slow to develop that trust; it’s got to be faster when situations dictate; 3) not trusting Doral until 4-5 Games may have cost us some of our 1-4 start; and 4) most importantly, playing four guards that can’t guard or rebound at the same time clearly wasn’t working, and it cost us dearly in so many late game situations.

I doubt we play 4 guards much next year and hopefully a more balanced roster makes avoiding this easier. Woods absence will remove at least one more guard he trusts. Hopefully we don’t have gaping holes at consecutive positions next year which should provide a lot more flexibility. It was a huge defensive hole at the 2-3 for the better part of the three years prior to this one, and an overall void at the 3-4 that killed us this year. At the least we should avoid having that issue next year, and we better start winning once we have a bunch of pieces that finally fit together.

Good post.

Pretty troubling when the best option seems to be to remove options from the coach so that he is less likely to make poor decisions.

Would probably be better to just get a competent coach.

Lol. I can just see Danny saying ‘yeah, we don’t really care if Woods comes back or not’. Of course he wants him back. Doesn’t mean that when the staff gets together they don’t look at each other and say ‘whew, I am actually kind of relieved he is gone’.

We have no idea how Manning feels about Woods departure. 100% speculation.

Good post. And part of Manning’s problem is that he trusts the wrong players or at least trust them too much while not trusting others enough.

Agree...He clearly values older players. Wilbekin amd Thompson simply received too much time on the court. When you are rebuilding you simply can’t do that. Have to play the best players and adjust your coaching. It is a Sign of a young game coach that he wasnt able to do that. This is why it is beneficial to hire coaches that have close to a decade of HC experience. There are things that can only be learned by failing at them. Hopefully Danny will learn from his in game coaching failures in the last 4 years at about the same time his excellent work on the recruiting trail comes to fruition.

Woods' defense was not great but still was about average for a guard under Manning. He was not Wilbekin bad.

He shot pretty well most of his time here minus the last two games. He was also pretty savvy as well, making some shorter pull-ups that guys who are only shooters do not.

No way this does not hurt us and no way this does not say something bad about Manning. At the very least it points to an inability to get players to buy into his program. Woods would have played a lot and had the opportunity to go out on a high note. This is a loss for Wake and likely a poor move for Woods. Something is not right with the program for this to happen.

If Woods Sr. did interject himself into the situation, Woods' transfer actually say at least DM has the balls to stand up to a meddling parent. Good for him.

For all the folks who are saying we’re better off without Woods remember our coach wanted him back. That tells me losing him will hurt us.

Of course any coach doesn't want to lose someone that is a proven shooter, but there is a wide gap between being ok with him staying and wanting him back. Remember Woods said he was still planning to come back before Sr. day. Obviously bs.

I couldn’t agree more. That start set the tone for the whole season...dreadfully damaging to the W/L and the confidence of the team. I was hoping Craw and Woods would lead and take their game to the next level, but it just didn’t happen.

Woods was not leading anything if his father was messing up his mind and meddling in our program.

There were some clear chemistry issues between Brandon, Woods, and Crawford. Definitely felt like one needed to go. That’s ultimately on Manning and the best option would have been for Woods to stay and Manning to figure out the chemistry stuff. But hopefully better chemistry and clearer defined roles will help offset the loss somewhat.

I'm sure Woods' fathers input involved how he was being used relative to the other guards, don't see any developing problems there.

Lol. I can just see Danny saying ‘yeah, we don’t really care if Woods comes back or not’. Of course he wants him back. Doesn’t mean that when the staff gets together they don’t look at each other and say ‘whew, I am actually kind of relieved he is gone’.

We have no idea how Manning feels about Woods departure. 100% speculation.

Exactly.

This entire Woods' father situation reminds me of the Braswell/Rutland girl friend issue. Non-basketball issue screws up the chemistry for the team.

Back