• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods Leaving Basketball Program

That’s a good article by Conor. Different players, over different years, under Manning are committing the same errors. These include getting fouls on moving screens, getting fouls on defensive hedges far from the hoop, fouling when the shot clock is about to expire, the offense failing in the final minutes of the game, and (this year) flagrant fouls on rebounds. These errors have not been corrected and I don’t think they will be.

Nice article by Conor, but it still doesn't make up for that bizarre and awful article praising [Redacted] as a misunderstood basketball genius what Bz retired from the NBA this past summer.

The loss of Woods, Moore, & Crawford (not in that order - Donovan as well) killed us! All of them have holes in their games, but their athleticism, skills, and experience are impossible to replace. If all of them stayed we are definitely a tourney team with a chance to make a run to Sweet 16, IMO. Coaching us to there is another thing...

Nice article by Conor, but it still doesn't make up for that bizarre and awful article praising [Redacted] as a misunderstood basketball genius what Bz retired from the NBA this past summer.

Yeah that was a really strange article. He’s done a lot of good work both before and after that piece but it’ll take a while to wash away that stench.

Keyshawn plays 35 minutes with 10 assists as Buckeyes trounce UCLA.

6-4-10 line on 3-11 / 0-4 shooting.

Played the most minutes on the team.

What OSU is doing so far is incredible with their lack of talent (according to recruiting rankings) and depth.

Holtmann is good. Coaching matters.

The loss of Woods, Moore, & Crawford (not in that order - Donovan as well) killed us! All of them have holes in their games, but their athleticism, skills, and experience are impossible to replace. If all of them stayed we are definitely a tourney team with a chance to make a run to Sweet 16, IMO. Coaching us to there is another thing...
Lol.

I'm not sure what's funny?? You don't think w/these 4 guys we are a tournament team? Please share...

I'm not sure what's funny?? You don't think w/these 4 guys we are a tournament team? Please share...

something was very, very wrong with the team last year - you have to really work at it to be as dysfunctional as that team was

if all those guys are still on the team and they retained the dysfunction, they weren't going anywhere

No. I don't. We weren't anything close to a tourney team when they were here. You do remember last season, right?

No. I don't. We weren't anything close to a tourney team when they were here. You do remember last season, right?

Not arguing - just bored and need a distraction from the kids. I do remember last year... I suffered through 90% of their games and it was incredibly frustrating. The team was dysfunctional, poorly coaches, inconsistent, yadda, yadda, but the talent was evident as well. A "good" coach would have had a lot more success last season and a great coach would have taken these guys deeper into the NCAA's this season. Hoard, Wright, and Muscius are the nice additions.

Crawford is averaging close to 20 PPG in Israel, Key is an integral part of a good OSU team, and Moore is playing well. How could these 3 guys NOT put us in a better position this year??

I like Danny and wish he would have succeeded here. But, so much of coaching these days is relational, motivating guys to play at higher levels, and having them buy into the team's philosophy. Manning, obviously, struggles in a lot of these and more areas and is in the deep end of the pool. Therefore, all of his flaws are much more magnified. I've coached many years and the nice thing is every season is a fresh start. Early success is paramount and thus breeds more success and sometimes takes teams to a much higher than expected level. IMO, Last season's start doomed this team from the gate and they never recovered.

I agree w/99% of the people here that something is very wrong and we need a quick and immediate change. But, I still love Wake basketball and everyone that is putting in work each and every day to make us more successful. It's a genetic flaw.

6-4-10 line on 3-11 / 0-4 shooting.

Played the most minutes on the team.

What OSU is doing so far is incredible with their lack of talent (according to recruiting rankings) and depth.

Holtmann is good. Coaching matters.

Agreed.

Update: Keyshawn is currently averaging 6.9 PPG overall and just 5.1 PPG in Big Ten play (11.9 at Wake last year), 3 Rebounds (2.5 last year), and is shooting %28 from 3 (%37 last year). I got my first glimpse of him in an OSU uniform last night as he stunk it up with a 1-6 shooting (0-3 from 3), and 4 turnovers for 2 total points against Michigan. I'll always root for former Deacs, but for a guy who has transferred twice now, I wonder if he's figured out that it just may be him. I wish he would have just gotten healthy and stayed here to be a highly utilized 6th man.

Also, OSU as a whole has hit a huge skid since starting Big Ten play, losing 6 of their last 7 (including a loss @Rutgers) and 5 of those 6 by double digits.

Last edited:
Update: Keyshawn is currently averaging 6.9 PPG overall and just 5.1 PPG in Big Ten play (11.9 at Wake last year), 3 Rebounds (2.5 last year), and is shooting %28 from 3 (%37 last year). I got my first glimpse of him in an OSU uniform last night as he stunk it up with a 1-6 shooting (0-3 from 3), and 4 turnovers for 2 total points against Michigan. I'll always root for former Deacs, but for a guy who has transferred twice now, I wonder if he's figured out that it just may be him. I wish he would have just gotten healthy and stayed here to be a highly utilized 6th man.

BINGO!!!!

Watched Woods last night v Michigan. He's the same player he was at Wake, very slow footed, totally unaware of defensive responsibilities. He's basically filling a spot on the floor for OSU that they obviously don't have any young talent for. He would've filled the same role AGAIN this year at Wake if he was still here. Too small to be a 3, too slow to be a 1 or 2. Only useful if he makes a few shots in a game and doesn't have to play anybody man to man. Crawford and Moore would've definitely helped this year. Woods not so much except to give Brandon or Crawford a little break. I'd rather give those minutes to the young guys, Wright, Wynn, even Mucius.

Not sure what has happened to Keyshawn's shot.

In 2017, he was a weapon because if he was open he would reliably knock down the 3. I assumed that he shot a little worse last season because of his knee injury, but this season, when he is presumably healthy, Key's shooting percentage from behind the arc has dropped like a rock:

- 2015 at Charlotte 47% (14th in the nation)
- 2017 at WF 44% (83rd in the nation)
- 2018 at WF 37%
- 2019 at tOSU 25%

He has made a TOTAL of three 3-point shots in 9 Big 10 games. He is simply a non-factor. Wonder who Key's dad is blaming now.

To somehow think that he would not have helped a team that can't throw it in the ocean is insane. The second best shooter on our team is shooting under 30% and we only have one player averaging more than one made three a game.

Back