• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters

Horrible to treat your parents and sister like that.

It really does sound awful and he's probably truly an ass but I hate standing on the outside and judging a very personal situation without all the facts. None of us really know the story.

Reed played some fantastic golf today. Had to imagine as he began the day that it was basically a Match Play event against a four time major winner (Rory) whose game was peaking.

He dispatched McIlroy and then, halfway thru the backside from Amen Corner on, he had to contend with the surging Spieth and Fowler on the leaderboard. He withstood the incredible numbers being posted as well as the bedlam of the crowd.

He handled it. He didn’t fold. He finished like a veteran. Hats off to him. He is Masters Champion.

Wasn't quite that majestic. McIlroy dispatched himself. Reed shot -1. Birdied neither of the back nine par 5s.
He basically had too big of a lead to lose it. His Sunday was meh. But his TH - Saturday were terrific.

Wasn't quite that majestic. McIlroy dispatched himself. Reed shot -1. Birdied neither of the back nine par 5s.
He basically had too big of a lead to lose it. His Sunday was meh. But his TH - Saturday were terrific.

I don't know if you have ever played golf under pressure but "meh" is pretty good under the pressure of winning your first major.

I don't know if you have ever played golf under pressure but "meh" is pretty good under the pressure of winning your first major.

I'm not saying he did poorly. But to make it seem like he went out and grabbed the bull by the horns just isn't true. It was a solid round of golf under a lot of pressure. But they are very, very high level tour professionals. I'm not.
Rickie and Jordan had far better rounds. And Rickie was trying to win his first major too.

Last edited:
It really does sound awful and he's probably truly an ass but I hate standing on the outside and judging a very personal situation without all the facts. None of us really know the story.

Agreed. Maybe his parents really were horrible growing up. Maybe they didn't and this is overblown on his part. There are reasons to love him or hate him far beyond this story. My opinion of him changed for the better after this Ryder Cup performances. I wasn't a fan of his "top 5 player in the world" comment. The crowds reaction on 18 was definitely more subdued then in the past.

On another note, watching him and Spieth battle it out on the Wyndham 4 years ago was really cool at the time. Now it feels really special considering how much success they have had. Grateful I got to see it in person.

Good post above. Sure he can be abrasive, but I like how he gives a shit during the team competitions and at least has some personality on the course even if he doesn't as much off it. Who really cares what his personal circumstances are

Agreed. He played and putted well enough and deserved the W. Also agree with the earlier comment that Rory took himself out. He hit a few wayward drives, but it was his putting that really did him in. And that's what is always the issue with Rory, and he missed a handful of 4-7' putts yesterday after putting well Thu-Sat.

As for Reed, when he initially hit the tour, I liked his game but then read about all of his personal issues. I won't comment on the family shite because we're only getting 1 side, and I'm a bit estranged from a couple of my family members. Family shite can be messy, and I get public figures wanting to keep their private life private. But from all I've read, Reed is quite the asshole, and apparently Justine is also a piece of work. She was apparently giving that rules official shite in addition to Reed in that video from a few weeks ago. As I said earlier, I view him as our asshole/Poulter when the RC rolls around but otherwise don't root for him.

I also don't get the yuge amount of love for Ricky. Okay, he's a nice guy, but he ain't no Arnie. Arnie actually won something. Check that, he won 62 times and 7 majors. I view Ricky as this generation's Andre Agassi - a guy that brought a whole lot of attention to himself before he did anything in the sport. It wasn't till later in Agassi's career that he started winning majors, and maybe it'll be the same way with Ricky. He's 1 of the 5-6 most popular golfers on the tour (off the top of my head, the list is probably Tiger, Phil, Spieth, Rory and Ricky). But he's been on the tour almost a decade now and only has 4 Ws to show for it. If you look at the resumes of those 5 guys, 1 of those names doesn't belong.

Agreed. He played and putted well enough and deserved the W. Also agree with the earlier comment that Rory took himself out. He hit a few wayward drives, but it was his putting that really did him in. And that's what is always the issue with Rory, and he missed a handful of 4-7' putts yesterday after putting well Thu-Sat.

As for Reed, when he initially hit the tour, I liked his game but then read about all of his personal issues. I won't comment on the family shite because we're only getting 1 side, and I'm a bit estranged from a couple of my family members. Family shite can be messy, and I get public figures wanting to keep their private life private. But from all I've read, Reed is quite the asshole, and apparently Justine is also a piece of work. She was apparently giving that rules official shite in addition to Reed in that video from a few weeks ago. As I said earlier, I view him as our asshole/Poulter when the RC rolls around but otherwise don't root for him.

I also don't get the yuge amount of love for Ricky. Okay, he's a nice guy, but he ain't no Arnie. Arnie actually won something. Check that, he won 62 times and 7 majors. I view Ricky as this generation's Andre Agassi - a guy that brought a whole lot of attention to himself before he did anything in the sport. It wasn't till later in Agassi's career that he started winning majors, and maybe it'll be the same way with Ricky. He's 1 of the 5-6 most popular golfers on the tour (off the top of my head, the list is probably Tiger, Phil, Spieth, Rory and Ricky). But he's been on the tour almost a decade now and only has 4 Ws to show for it. If you look at the resumes of those 5 guys, 1 of those names doesn't belong.
Agassi won Wimbledon when he was 22. What the hell are you talking about?

My cousin was on the national championship Augusta State teams with Reed. Everything that has been written is 100% spot on. He was a known cheater in qualifiers, stole from other players in the locker room, and was just a grade A asshole. There are a lot of dicks in junior golf and college but he said Reed is a perfect encapsulation of all of them. Just a huge dick.

Agassi turned pro in his mid-teens and was an instant media sensation. He quickly went up the rankings and became the most popular guy in the sport (especially with commercials), but it took him about 5 or so years before he actually won that 1st major.

I put the odds of Reed and his wife being the assholes in this family dispute at about 99.5%

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the Ricky brought attention to himself before the sport. He cannot help it that he stands out from the classic boring boards poster, country club bros, and major league donks. He still brings attention to the sport first, and is bringing young kids who weren't born with CC memberships into the game.

I will say his snap chat game is on point though.

I put the odds of Reed and his wife being the assholes in this family dispute at about 99.5%

Putting aside my earlier comment about not really caring what his personal life details are, I'd say from what I've read today that his parents probably hated his wife when they were dating and didn't want him to marry her; he chose her and that's where we are.

Fat Pat - people who know him don't like him. I feel bad that people aren't talking about how good he was all weekend. Guy may be a total ass but he played amazingly well.

And Rory choking like a dog again was sad to see.

Also, if you love The Masters, save $$ and go. I got to go last year (I actually won the lottery) and it only enhances your viewing experience knowing what the holes look like in real life, 18 is so nasty and mean looking in person, most intimidating tee shot I've ever seen.

Finau's ankle shot is out there now, man, crazy anyone could play golf on that.

Fat Pat - people who know him don't like him. I feel bad that people aren't talking about how good he was all weekend. Guy may be a total ass but he played amazingly well.

And Rory choking like a dog again was sad to see.

Also, if you love The Masters, save $$ and go. I got to go last year (I actually won the lottery) and it only enhances your viewing experience knowing what the holes look like in real life, 18 is so nasty and mean looking in person, most intimidating tee shot I've ever seen.

Eighteen is a totally different looking hole than in the days before ANGC tired to Tiger proof the course. That shute that they tee off out of is forty yards longer than it was twenty years ago. I agree, it’s the last tee shot I’d want to hit under pressure.

Indeed sir, the tee box was most definitely closer to the trees, as you'll see from this 1998 picture here:

masters-woods-gets-18-holes-practice

This caption says 2001 before his Tiger Slam was completed:

And more recently in 2015 when Spieth wired the field (I'm sure those trees on the left give him nightmares now):

They have definitely moved the tee back, but they've also lost many trees on the left it looks like from natural attrition and storm damage. It's definitely an intimidating tee-shot but it's not nearly as hard as Jordan Spieth makes it out to be these days.

And for me, assuming I'm feeling limber and can get my back to cooperate for the hard pull-fade I like to hit, the more intimidating tee shot for me would be the "chute" out of Amen Corner on 13. The proposition of having to sling a hard running hook around those trees with all that trouble lurking left is quite scary to me.

Although I do get some practice with a similarly ridiculous shot (not as long) at a course here in Atlanta called Smoke Rise CC where you have to (as in MUST cuz there's really no other option on this silly target golf par 4) deliver a perfect rope hook with a 3-wood to the fairway and then hope it doesn't spin too much to the left when it lands, thus causing it to shoot further left and run into the junk, where it's totally dead, or a pitch out at best.

So many intimidating tee shots at Augusta, but there are a few at East Lake CC that are pretty damn daunting if you ask me: 4th, 6th, 8th (old 17th) when lined with water left and hospitality tents right, par 3 15th from the back tee (220 yard forced carry over water to what is essentially an island green) and a chute of their own on the par 5 18th. Some of the holes at the Tour Championship can stand up with the scariest at the National.

If you're in the ATL Metro and you haven't gone over to ELCC for the Tour Championship, you owe it to yourself to do so, walk the grounds and see how difficult that course is from the back tee boxes as well.

Last edited:
WtDN, when visiting friends in Atlanta a couple of years ago, I went to a couple rounds at East Lake. Really plush course with perfect fairways and a nice layout. Enjoyed it immensely. And yes, 8 (old 17) is a wicked driving hole. And that 1 par 3 with the island green is pretty daunting as well. Also appreciated how the course owner helped redo some public housing next to the course, which apparently had been 1 of the worst public housing places in Atlanta.

Back