• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters

Yes, there are more people than 1965.

And you are right, my family didn’t get to go to the Masters. I built all the stuff myself and I’d be damn embarrassed to be a man I ever took a penny of inheritance from anyone.

Stop.

Completely not humble brag - I have Berckmans Place badges for Saturday this year. Looking forward to making a fool out of myself trying to putt the replica 7, 14 and 16 greens. I'll say hi to Condi for all of you.

Very nice! Let's meet up for a beer.

Rose is going to win this Masters.

Ugh. I hope not. He is so boring.

ETA: I hope the winner comes from this list with at least one of the others in the top 3 and two in the top 5.

Tiger
Phil
JT
Speith
McIlroy
Rahm
Fowler

Epic Masters if that happens.

Last edited:
Damn, Gary Player is in great shape at 82.

Would you expect otherwise? Dude was the original fitness freak on the tour. He probably still has more energy than I have.

As for rooting interests, while I hope Tiger does well, I'm not rooting for him and am definitely not rooting for Phil. Mostly just want to see a great tournament and am probably rooting for Rory more than anyone else. I'd like to see him get his career slam.

Nicklaus in tears after watching his grandson make that ace gave me the feels... Also the kid's first hole in one, pretty great.

Watson finishes as the leader. He is three shots up on Ryan Moore who only has two holes left.

First question to Watson - "Don't you wish you'd putted like that on the 18th hole of the 2009 Open?"

Nicklaus, Player, and Watson playing together in the par 3. How cool.

Saw them today. On the second hole none of their shots was further than 10 ft from the hole.
Another big threesome was Fowler, Speith and JT.
One very unfortunate thing happened. Tony Finau, who had is wife and 3 small kids 'caddying' for him, had a hole in one and then seriously injured his ankle celebrating. Dislocated it, I think. Shades of DJ last year.
Saw Ian Poulter in the pro shop after playing. He was buying stuff just like everyone else. Told him nice putt on Sunday.
The new merchandise shop is unreal. It's very easy to spend a lot in a hurry there.

Nicklaus in tears after watching his grandson make that ace gave me the feels... Also the kid's first hole in one, pretty great.

Trust me, that hole in one on that course on national t.v. and in front of that grandpa, aces (see what I did there?) any 1-swing made on hole #15 on a Saturday with your usual foursome. But I was curious if there's such thing as an "official" hole in one, so according to the USGA:

Rule Misc.

Validity of Hole in One

Q. What constitutes the validity of a hole in one?

A. The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole-in-one. It is up to the Committee to determine whether a hole-in-one is valid. The USGA recommends that a hole-in-one be considered valid:
a. If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole-in-one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed.
b. If the player is playing one ball; a hole-in-one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable.
c. If attested by someone acceptable to the Committee.
d. If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate.
e. If made in a "scramble" competition, which is played as follows: A side comprises four players. Each member of a side plays from the teeing ground, the best drive is selected, each member plays a second shot from where the best drive is located, and so on.

So note to self when I make my inevitable first hole in one:: rather than picking my ball out of the cup and heading straight to the clubhouse bar, I need to finish out the round and card my blistering 95 or whatever, and THEN go whoop it up.

You are correct about the hole in one.
It was not official. Also, for the Par 3 tournament Tom Watson won with a -6 (a great score for anyone) and Nicklaus was listed in the scoreboard as -4 and tied for fourth. However, per a member, Nicklaus's score won't count since his grandson hit for him.
Regardless, it was a great event and there were 3 aces. Also, the closest to the pin contest was on the second hole. John Rahm won with 1".

Still doesn't feel quite right without Arnie as an honorary starter...

Happy Masters everyone.

Back