• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB PLAYOFFS Thread (Cubs free)

Of course he will still get a massive contract but Machado feels like a safer bet.

Is he still going to get a $400 million contract?

A lot of season to go, and all it takes is one team to overpay, but Harper is costing himself big-time.

A couple of other elements have hurt the Harper market:

- Naturally, the Nats were expected to be players in the Harper sweepstakes, but because the Nats offense has struggled (largely due to Harper), they brought up Juan Soto who has demonstrated he can play at 19; Nats really don't need to pay massive dollars on an OF as the Nats now have two MLB top 10 OF prospects in Juan Soto and Victor Robles (and Adam Eaton is under Nats control through 2021);

- The Yankee's acquisition of Stanton took them out of the Harper market.

- Dodgers are expected to focus on re-signing Kershaw; will they be willing to dole out two $300 million contracts in the same off season?

- In addition to his lack of offensive production, Harper's defensive metrics are poor. Harper is simply not the all around star that Mike Trout or even Manny Machado are.

Harper is only 25 and even if he struggles for all of 2018; there will be teams (Atlanta, Phllly, Cubs) willing to give him a massive deal, but absent a major rebound; don't think he is getting the 10 year $400 million+ payday that some were predicting a few months ago.

Last edited:
Even with his recent surge, JHey is stuck and not leaving his 5/$105 left - that would mean the Cubs would have to either trade Schwarber, move Harper to left full time OR trade Almora, move JHey to center. I would guess they trade Schwarbs if he can keep hitting and get his stock higher.

Even with his recent surge, JHey is stuck and not leaving his 5/$105 left - that would mean the Cubs would have to either trade Schwarber, move Harper to left full time OR trade Almora, move JHey to center. I would guess they trade Schwarbs if he can keep hitting and get his stock higher.

Harper has played some Center field this season. Both Taylor and Eaton were hurt, so Harper got the middle spot.

How good is Nats phenom Juan Soto? He hit a HR for the Nats five days before he was called up to the majors.

You read it right.

Last night, the Nats continued a suspended game from May 15. Soto hit a HR.

Here's a question for the rules guys (Pilch)- since he is credited with playing on May 15, do those extra days get added onto his service time towards free agency?

A lot of season to go, and all it takes is one team to overpay, but Harper is costing himself big-time.

- Naturally, the Nats were expected to be players in the Harper sweepstakes, but because the Nats offense has struggled (largely due to Harper), they brought up Juan Soto who has demonstrated he can play at 19; Nats really don't need to pay massive dollars on an OF as the Nats now have two MLB top 10 OF prospects in Juan Soto and Victor Robles (and Adam Eaton is under Nats control through 2021);

- Dodgers are expected to focus on re-signing Kershaw; will they be willing to dole out two $300 million contracts in the same off season?

- In addition to his lack of offensive production, Harper's defensive metrics are poor. Harper is simply not the all around star that Mike Trout or even Manny Machado are.

Harper is only 25 and even if he struggles for all of 2018; there will be teams (Atlanta, Phllly, Cubs) willing to give him a massive deal, but absent a major rebound; don't think he is getting the 10 year $400 million+ payday that some were predicting a few months ago.

Sure seems like Philly's problem is in the infield rather than the outfield, which would mean they target Machado over Harper. Especially with the former O's guys in their FO.

can't wait for him to sign a year deal with the rays to rehab his value!

His rough year is setting up for the Nats to re-sign him on one of their bullshit deferred money deals.

Sure seems like Philly's problem is in the infield rather than the outfield, which would mean they target Machado over Harper. Especially with the former O's guys in their FO.
Although outfield takes a hit if you put your LF back where he really belongs.

Roberto Osuna has been suspended for 75 games.

Any teams interested?

Hanley Ramirez may have been involved in a Hernandez type situation...

Phils signed Danny Espinosa as a fiil in for the infield while guys heal up. Can't hit much but still can field.

Dodgers are expected to focus on re-signing Kershaw; will they be willing to dole out two $300 million contracts in the same off season?

I'd be real cautious if I were the Dodgers. Kershaw remains a great pitcher, but he's had so many injuries the past couple years that I wouldn't be comfortable giving that much to a pitcher who's got a pretty problematic back. I think they (or whoever signs him) will get 2, maybe 3, good seasons out of him then fully regret the follow 4 or 5 seasons.

How good is Nats phenom Juan Soto? He hit a HR for the Nats five days before he was called up to the majors.

You read it right.

Last night, the Nats continued a suspended game from May 15. Soto hit a HR.

Here's a question for the rules guys (Pilch)- since he is credited with playing on May 15, do those extra days get added onto his service time towards free agency?

they do not

Jose Ramirez is having a monster enough season that he's going to steal another Trout MVP. A guy who I assume never appeared on a top 100 prospect list and with his contract is definitely a top 5 asset.

I'd be real cautious if I were the Dodgers. Kershaw remains a great pitcher, but he's had so many injuries the past couple years that I wouldn't be comfortable giving that much to a pitcher who's got a pretty problematic back. I think they (or whoever signs him) will get 2, maybe 3, good seasons out of him then fully regret the follow 4 or 5 seasons.

Does Kershaw even bother to opt out at this point, given the perceived collusion of last off season?

God I hope not. The Braves are so fun to watch and the chemistry with the young guys is great. Harper is an asshole. There are people who call his antics "passionate" or "competitive" but he is just a jerk. Freeman is a great example of a veteran leader. Harper just don'ts fit there.

Does Kershaw even bother to opt out at this point, given the perceived collusion of last off season?

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't opt out but there's a team out there that will give him a seven or eight year deal push $30 million annually.

Back