• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB PLAYOFFS Thread (Cubs free)

What are the chances that Edwin Diaz wins the AL Cy Young award if his numbers hold? Relievers, I'm sure, don't normally even get mentioned but he is having an insanely good year so far.

I have a great idea of how baseball works. You sound like a delusional Dodgers fan.

Just saying "I have a great idea of how baseball works" doesn't mean that you do - teams trade for rentals EVERY YEAR, its literally the way the game is played. And Machado is a rental to any team he goes to, if you think otherwise, you are just being dumb.

Not sure why I am even responding here to this nonsense.

I just don't see the Dodgers giving up a big ransom here.

"I have a great idea how ______ works"

Sounds familiar to somebody in politics

If the season ended right now the playoffs would be fascinating:

Yankees-Mariners in a winner take all wildcard game (two of the top four records in all of baseball) and Astros, Red Sox, Indians as division winners.

NL would just be bizarre:

Cubs-Braves in a wildcard game and Phillies, Brewers, Diamondbacks as division winners.

Wildcard chase in NL should be great to watch down the stretch as will AL East and AL West battles.

Bruh. You didn't even post the best one...

The five AL teams in the playoffs seem pretty well set. Just which teams gets division titles and which ones are wildcards needs to be decided over the next 80 games.

NL is more wide open. Today's division leaders may not even make the playoffs at the end of the season

The A's have cut 4 games into the Mariners WC lead over the past week; they are now 6.5 games back. M's have won a ton of one run games, which usually catches up to a team over a full season. That said, the A's are probably playing above their ability.

The five AL teams in the playoffs seem pretty well set. Just which teams gets division titles and which ones are wildcards needs to be decided over the next 80 games.

NL is more wide open. Today's division leaders may not even make the playoffs at the end of the season

Yeah the Nationals (47.1%), Cubs (73.1%), and Dodgers (74.6%) still have the best chances in their respective divisions per Fangraphs' odds.

Makes sense given the run differential/record in one-run games. Phillies are 19-7 and Braves are 13-7 (Nats 9-16 in one run games) while the Phillies only have a +20 RD yet are 11 games over .500. Neither Phillies or Braves are above 50% to make the playoffs.

In the Central, the Brewers are 21-11 in one-run games.

Cubs, Dodgers, and Braves have the top RD in the NL.

This is a great article.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...t-every-way/6gq0GyH9X01dtuJQZgblAM/story.html

I used to love baseball. Probably watched around 80% of the Red Sox games from start to finish every night and caught at least some portion of like 95% of their games for a good 10-15 years of my life growing up. Those numbers have dropped a lot the last few years. The average time between balls in play being 3 minutes and 45 seconds is just insanity.

Looking forward to the snarky responses from guys like deacphan and Cheese.

Good take, I think this part is dumb though:

"Analytics are out of control. Even commissioner Rob Manfred agrees. Manfred recently told The Athletic, “There is a growing recognition that analytics have produced certain trends in the game that we may need to be more proactive about reversing. There are owners that feel that way. There are fans that feel that way.’’

This is a great article.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...t-every-way/6gq0GyH9X01dtuJQZgblAM/story.html

I used to love baseball. Probably watched around 80% of the Red Sox games from start to finish every night and caught at least some portion of like 95% of their games for a good 10-15 years of my life growing up. Those numbers have dropped a lot the last few years. The average time between balls in play being 3 minutes and 45 seconds is just insanity.

Looking forward to the snarky responses from guys like deacphan and Cheese.

Stopped reading at the byline. Shaughnessy is the absolute worst. Of COURSE these takes are his.

Shaughnessy usually does suck but definitely not on that one. Even diehard baseball OWGs are agreeing with him.

Also, I can't stop watching this:

Back