• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Redacted: keep it like a secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old is too old to put these in your place?

il_570xN.380160499_gd9j.jpg
\\
91C4IENLcrL._SY679_.jpg

Good point. The simultaneity of opposites is such a weird grad school phenomenon. The work gets both easier and harder as you go coursework>dissertation. Your time gets both less structured and more structured. You party less while perhaps drinking more. You get deeper into academia while increasingly considering leaving it forever. You make more new friends and colleagues while losing touch with old ones. You write for a living while feeling like you've forgotten how to write entirely. You become an expert by learning how much you don't know.

Gotta spread rep. That's extremely well put. I met some undergrads from a different university who asked me about grad school and that's what I wish I had said. Mind if I quote this?

Congrats TK! Make sure to pick up a Terrible Towel ASAP before the locals give you a noogie.

Survived a day of drinking and walking in the cold rain of Dublin. On to Liverpool this afternoon. Gonna meet up with a group of random middle aged men and go watch some darts tonight.

Last edited:
Grats, Kory. Let me know when you can write prescriptions.

A couple moves ago I was nicely told there was nowhere for this to go anymore so I gave it to my brother in law. It's in black and white - very artistic

ZMP3100Z__22916.1479391314.1280.1280.jpg

Gotta spread rep. That's extremely well put. I met some undergrads from a different university who asked me about grad school and that's what I wish I had said. Mind if I quote this?
Haha, sure, go for it. Doing a PhD is really tough to describe to someone who hasn't done it. So different than doing a professional degree or even a two- or three-year MA or MS. And the truth of the whole thing is it's rarely the very smartest or the most capable or the most networkable who will thrive and eventually make it. You've got to have a crazy mix of fortitude, ideas, delusion, and luck.

You may attribute it to wakephan, random guy on the internet who I simultaneously know really, really well but have never met in person. Appropriate, really.

Walked 18 this morning, 40 degrees when I teed off. Sore now.

You may attribute it to wakephan, random guy on the internet who I simultaneously know really, really well but have never met in person. Appropriate, really.

The concept of regularly reading what somebody writes to the extent that you feel like you know them even though you don’t isn’t hard to explain to grad students and other academics.

Kory will also get to witness all the great Jay Vidovich soccer he wants.

John Mayer has done the nearly impossible. He's gone from teen star to excellent grown up player.

john mayer has always been an awesome guitar player

Moving this week, so I guess I need to put all contraband in a single box and move that myself. It would be funny if I had it in my car and crashed and died and the paramedics are like, “wow, check out this shoe box. This guy partied.”

Is this like the time RJ confused the Welches? I am super confused about what teen John Mayer he's talking about, dude's first big single came out when he was like 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back