• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

High Point U commits to basketball

Alright John, I’ll bite. A young Wake assistant got a better job than Wakes as a 40 year old. Now he has been promoted to one of the top 7 jobs in college hoops. Another young wake assistant is now 41 and the coach at Winthrop and he is the 2nd choice (by the media) for the Xavier job. The first choice is a 33 year old who has been an X assistant for 9 years.

Miller has been on the media’s list for the job at Georgia, Charlotte, ECU, & Ole Miss this year. I am not going to tell you wherher he has been offered at least one of those jobs.

What exactly is your point?

I’m onboard with hiring a young coach. Statistically, it is probably about as likely to fail as hiring an old guy, but if you hit on it, you’ve may have a Coach K. If you miss, you’re likely no worse off, and just hire another young guy.

I’m onboard with hiring a young coach. Statistically, it is probably about as likely to fail as hiring an old guy, but if you hit on it, you’ve may have a Coach K. If you miss, you’re likely no worse off, and just hire another young guy.

Exactly right. One thing Xavier has with the slightly older Coach Kelsey (only 41) is that X is his job. Hard to imagine him ever leaving—unless it’s a top 5 blue blood job.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQodRzty8

It's not spot-on. I'm heavily involved with HPU as a parent and have served on several boards at the school. I'm not going to spend the rest of the evening discussing how funds are/were raised through
private donations. Dignifying some jackass's statement of "Smoke and Mirrors U" with absolutely no factual basis is not worth my time.

As a Wake alum who holds both an undergraduate and professional degree, I would highly suggest we all take a sobering look in the mirror before pissing on other universities. We have plenty to be fixed!

Thanks for the explanation. I now understand your perspective.

You state Wake has plenty to be fixed. I assume you are referring to issues other than men’s basketball?

“A hungry cat always hunts best.” —Skip Prosser

Ron Wellman and Danny Manning are not hungry. We must move on to the hungry cats.

It's not spot-on. I'm heavily involved with HPU as a parent and have served on several boards at the school. I'm not going to spend the rest of the evening discussing how funds are/were raised through
private donations. Dignifying some jackass's statement of "Smoke and Mirrors U" with absolutely no factual basis is not worth my time.

As a Wake alum who holds both an undergraduate and professional degree, I would highly suggest we all take a sobering look in the mirror before pissing on other universities. We have plenty to be fixed!

Salty.

A thread awhile ago came to a board consensus that sending your kid to Wake at the given price tag was dumb and shouldn’t be done. If that’s the case for Wake, then High point is just like fucking hell no.

Alright John, I’ll bite. A young Wake assistant got a better job than Wakes as a 40 year old. Now he has been promoted to one of the top 7 jobs in college hoops. Another young wake assistant is now 41 and the coach at Winthrop and he is the 2nd choice (by the media) for the Xavier job. The first choice is a 33 year old who has been an X assistant for 9 years.

Miller has been on the media’s list for the job at Georgia, Charlotte, ECU, & Ole Miss this year. I am not going to tell you wherher he has been offered at least one of those jobs.

What exactly is your point?

Taking the bait from Drew is so easy because there is never anything factual coming from the stuff. Just his conjecture of wanting to have locker room passes and the like. My point is that 3 weeks ago you were telling us Drew, that Wes was going to be THE coach at Ole Miss. You also just said a few minutes ago you just said that Pat Kelsey is going to be the new coach at Xavier. You don't have to "tell" me whether Wes was offered one of these jobs or not because you do not know yourself. You are not his agent nor his basketball job lawyer. If he had been offered the Ole Miss job or the UGa job, he would have taken them. Simply based on economics, the challenge of the job and getting out of the Southern Conference and the big money of either of those SEC jobs tells us that. Now I think in another year or so, with another year like Wes just had, he will be ready for a big time job. But one must remember that he was hanging on by a thread just 2+ years ago at UNC-G.

Well why didn't you make your case that endowments don't matter instead of being such a dick.

We would also like to hear why it's a good thing Moody's has HPU debt rated at junk status.

I’m not sure it matters where the debt is rated. They are rolling along.

As for you, Nelms, WTF is a lockeroom pass? Of all the tickets you’ve begged me for through the years, I’ve never heard of those. I’m not anwering your question about my rep of Miller as I’m not allowed to do so. So you didn’t answer the question, other than placing national historic status on the Joel, what do you do about our coaching situation?

And others can also vouch that I was publicly calling for a new arena at the height of the Duncan years as well. I predicted exactly what occurred—a giant failure upon his departure without the right facility—and did so publicly.

Can Confirm

isn't using people's real names a big no-no on here

I think when you’re as pathetic on dr you get a pass.

It’s like when you let the kid with Down’s syndrome score a touchdown when it’s 72-12.

Every year since 2007. Every single one. Just like we should be offering Wes Miller now. Before it's too damn late and he's at a major school kicking our ass and going to Sweet 16s--like all 3 of these dudes will be doing going forward.

LOL if you think Jeff Capel at Pitt will sniff anything close to a Sweet 16. That program (and IMO that hire) are a disaster.

As for High Point, if you think committing to basketball is hiring Tubby Smith who was just run out of town in Memphis for how terrible he had made the program good luck with that going forward. Another awful hire IMO.

Last edited:
I’m not sure it matters where the debt is rated. They are rolling along.

It definitely matters if HPU attempts to tap the debt markets again for capital unless they have no issue paying an astronomical interest rate.

Back