• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

High Point U commits to basketball

donaldross

Reaction score
After hiring Tubby Smith, High Point has committed 120 million to a new on campus arena that seats only 4500 people.

The school is 165 Million in debt. It thinks it is worth the investment even though HPU is in the lowly Big South and has no real history of basketball success. HPU has used business means (& leverage) to enhance its product unlike the more typical Wake Forest method of paying cash. It is unknown at this time whether the new HPU building will be structured for winning with the students on the floor.

The AD at High Point, Dan Hauser, spent 7 seasons in the Wake Forest Athletic Department.

Wake Forest last broke ground on a new basketball stadium in 1934. We have appeared in 1 Sweet 16 and 0 ACC tournament championship in the last 22 seasons. Wake is 1-2 in the post expansion era in the ACC tournament quarterfinals--by far the worst record in the 15 team league.

High Point feels this investment is worthwhile. Wake Forest does not. It will be interesting to see the results of this decision in the coming years.

In other news today, Pitt hired Jeff Capel and Louisville hired Chris Mack. Pat Kelsey is likely to be hired by Xavier tomorrow--all spent time with the Wake Forest program during their lives. None were ever offered the job at Wake Forest.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/scho...cle_27cc49a1-4417-5cce-90cb-2cee8e3fa473.html

You are correct as my whole post was fact rather than opinion.

It's not fact to assert nonsensically that "Wake Forest does not [think the investment of hiring Tubby Smith as head coach and building a 4500 seat on-campus arena is worthwhile]."

Before my time, but when did Capel spend time with Wake Forest? You're including the time he spent as a teenager while his dad was an assistant under Staak?

And when should we have offered Mack?

Every year since 2007. Every single one. Just like we should be offering Wes Miller now. Before it's too damn late and he's at a major school kicking our ass and going to Sweet 16s--like all 3 of these dudes will be doing going forward.

Before my time, but when did Capel spend time with Wake Forest? You're including the time he spent as a teenager while his dad was an assistant under Staak?

He was the ballboy when his dad was an assistant coach.

After hiring Tubby Smith, High Point has committed 120 million to a new on campus arena that seats only 4500 people.

The school is 165 Million in debt. It thinks it is worth the investment even though HPU is in the lowly Big South and has no real history of basketball success. HPU has used business means (& leverage) to enhance its product unlike the more typical Wake Forest method of paying cash. It is unknown at this time whether the new HPU building will be structured for winning with the students on the floor.

The AD at High Point, Dan Hauser, spent 7 seasons in the Wake Forest Athletic Department.

Wake Forest last broke ground on a new basketball stadium in 1934. We have appeared in 1 Sweet 16 and 0 ACC tournament championship in the last 22 seasons. Wake is 1-2 in the post expansion era in the ACC tournament quarterfinals--by far the worst record in the 15 team league.

High Point feels this investment is worthwhile. Wake Forest does not. It will be interesting to see the results of this decision in the coming years.

In other news today, Pitt hired Jeff Capel and Louisville hired Chris Mack. Pat Kelsey is likely to be hired by Xavier tomorrow--all spent time with the Wake Forest program during their lives. None were ever offered the job at Wake Forest.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/scho...cle_27cc49a1-4417-5cce-90cb-2cee8e3fa473.html

Should Wake hire Eddie Payne? He's a Wake alum and about the same age as Tubby.

eh, Tubby went to High Point and in the twilight of his career, so it seems like a good fit to take High Point up a notch while they upgrade facilities

eh, Tubby went to High Point and in the twilight of his career, so it seems like a good fit to take High Point up a notch while they upgrade facilities

Why do you need an old alum to coach while you upgrade facilities ? Is he a general contractor too ?

seems like Tubby Smith is the opposite kind of hire than what you typically advocate for

Yea, you're exactly I don't like the hire--nor did I say I did. Even this extreme example is one I do not think will work. Smith not likely to have the fire for the job. But we shall see.

Tubby Smith is 66 years old. The new basketball arena was announced over a year ago, but they are just now unveiling more details. High Point currently plays in a 1750 seat on-campus arena with the students on the floor, and they are replacing it with a 4500 seat arena that their president described as "elegant." They currently do not sell out their 1750 seat arena - their last game of the year was a 13 point home loss to Longwood in the first round of the Big South tournament. The announced attendance was 813. This is not going to end well.

Back