• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: Offseason

I mean, shit man, no offense, but someone just wrote on here they'd prefer to play Lane Adams in RF for super cheap. Lane fucking Adams! We've all just accepted that the Braves are gonna be #20 in payroll and so therefore we can't sign a guy like Bryce Harper because we won't have any money for anyone else. Same franchise that just got like $400m in public funds to build SunTrust Park.

That was me. I believe the Braves have money, but I don’t believe it should be spent on Harper. If they are going to go spend a bunch of money, then spend it on a starting pitcher than can make it past the 4th inning and some bullpen guys that don’t walk the lead off guy every outing.

The comparison that came to mind for me was the O's signing Albert Belle. I predicted he would be a cancer and the results were not good.

HIGH FIVE for your 1999 prediction !

belle-celebration.gif

That was me. I believe the Braves have money, but I don’t believe it should be spent on Harper. If they are going to go spend a bunch of money, then spend it on a starting pitcher than can make it past the 4th inning and some bullpen guys that don’t walk the lead off guy every outing.

Yeah but saying that you'd want Lane Adams as your starting RF is idiotic. There is not a need to spend on starting pitching, especially with is being a mediocre SP FA class IMO.. That need can be answered through trades and prospects. The answer to RF (or LF if Acuna moves to RF) is not on the roster. Riley hasn't played a single out of professional baseball in the OF and he shouldn't be trusted to do adequately out there for a team that is looking to repeat division titles. Money or prospects will be spent on a corner outfielder. Most of our moves this offseason will be done through trades, not the FA market.

Is everyone forgetting that we have have touted corner OF Adam Duvall!?!?!? I kid I kid.
The one move so far that is still pissing me off is that we extended Flow and not Zuk. We don’t need both most likely and I much prefer Zuk. I hope we can sign Grandal or Ramos personally. I don’t want to sell the farm for Realmuto.

Yeah but saying that you'd want Lane Adams as your starting RF is idiotic. There is not a need to spend on starting pitching, especially with is being a mediocre SP FA class IMO.. That need can be answered through trades and prospects. The answer to RF (or LF if Acuna moves to RF) is not on the roster. Riley hasn't played a single out of professional baseball in the OF and he shouldn't be trusted to do adequately out there for a team that is looking to repeat division titles. Money or prospects will be spent on a corner outfielder. Most of our moves this offseason will be done through trades, not the FA market.

Just because there aren’t any good pitchers available in FA doesn’t change the way I feel about spending a fortune on Harper.

Just because there aren’t any good pitchers available in FA doesn’t change the way I feel about spending a fortune on Harper.

Probably better to spend whatever spare change is available on guys for the bullpen.

Probably better to spend whatever spare change is available on guys for the bullpen.

Already hearing we’re the top landing spot for Britton. He apparently is close with Kakes and has been sold on Atlanta as a city and the team for a while.

We need to let Nick walk. The first half of the season was his best ever. Then his second half, he became what we all expected him to be. No thanks.

We need to let Nick walk. The first half of the season was his best ever. Then his second half, he became what we all expected him to be. No thanks.

I like Kakes but agree to an extent. IF the Braves go the FA route to get a starting OF & don't pursue Harper, then I think Kakes is as good as any of the other FA options (for about the same $$$). I'd rather see the Braves find a long term OF option through a trade.

Any idea who might be available/targeted via trade?

Snitker extended two years with a club option for 2021.

It has been a long time since any top free agent could see a reason to sign with the Braves. This off-season could be very interesting. For the record, I'm no on Harper and yes on Machado.

I also think we take a stab at J.T. Realmuto and an OF through trades.

We also fired pitching coach Chuck Hernandez.

An interesting FA name I saw us connected to today is McCutchon. I could get behind that. It would be a much shorter and cheaper deal and he still had a good year this year.

Trading a a package of young pitching for a cOF and signing Grandal would be a nice offseason, although I think Grandal is coming to get offered more than we are comfortable with. Get a cOF, upgrade the pen and bench, and hold money for a midseason splash.

Best bat on the market that won't cost you $300 million. Just give us the same 113 games you gave Toronto in 2017. Good thing is we have multiple 3b to protect us against injuries and I'm sure Camargo will get 400 abs either way.

Yeah, don't think Camargo is going anywhere. He can play 4 infield positions and will work some in the OF during spring training. Austin Riley will get some OF work as well.

Back