• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: Offseason

Is Carter Stewart really not going to sign? That would be awful.

Seems dumb on his part, although if we really wanted him we'd pay the few hundred thousand dollars. The wrist injury noted during his physical must be pretty serious.

I need a full explanation of this Carter Stewart debacle. WTF man?

I need a full explanation of this Carter Stewart debacle. WTF man?

He had a bad physical exam. Teams can't get results from those until after the draft. This also kept us from signing Hess (34th round but top 3 round talent) because if you don't sign your first rounder, full slot value counts against your overall pool. We do retain a pick next year as long as we offered Stewart 40% of slot so we will have the 9th pick and another first round pick.

Edited to add that this pick is protected. So even if we sign a Free Agent we cannot lose this 9th overall pick.

We also theoretically have $5 million more for this year.

Last edited:
AA did the same thing with Brady Singer. He is terrible at signing his top picks. Get used to it.

These throwback Brewers jerseys are one of my all time favorites. Their RF is a friggin mammoth, can;t believe that beefcake made a catch like that.

He had a bad physical exam. Teams can't get results from those until after the draft. This also kept us from signing Hess (34th round but top 3 round talent) because if you don't sign your first rounder, full slot value counts against your overall pool. We do retain a pick next year as long as we offered Stewart 40% of slot so we will have the 9th pick and another first round pick.

Edited to add that this pick is protected. So even if we sign a Free Agent we cannot lose this 9th overall pick.

We also theoretically have $5 million more for this year.

I read that it was due to ligament damage in his pitching wrist & Braves offered 2m of the 4.3m slot.

I read that it was due to ligament damage in his pitching wrist & Braves offered 2m of the 4.3m slot.

It was definitely wrist related. I hadn't seen that number but it is over 40% so we are good for the pick next year. That's a big decision for the kid, eapecially since he's not going the JUCO route and will now have to wait 3 years to be drafted again. A total of 3 first rounders did not sign. The big winner in all of this is Mississippi State as 2 of them, including Stewart, are headed there.

There are many more holes on this team than it initially appeared. Inciarte and Swanson are barely playing better than replacement players while our starting rotation has hit a wall. The bullpen is obviously shit. Tonight we lost because of defense which has been our one guaranteed strength. If we don't make moves soon I could feasibly see us not buying because we don't have a real shot at a run.

I like Franceour but I REALLY don't enjoy him in the booth. The occasional Glavine appearance is ok because I actually value his insight, but Joe and Chip are all I need. Three in the booth is too much.

I fear the magic has worn off. This is not a good team right now.

They were bound to hit a cold streak. Let’s hope that it happened in time for them to get it fixed before the playoff push.

Bullpen is trash--Sam Freeman (mr. base on balls) sucks--need to give him his "walking " papers

Andruw in 05. Also saw on twitter that a Brave has never made it out of the first round.

Back