• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford & Moore enter the Draft

I'll admit I'm stumped. Here are some guesses:

1) "Other jerseys in the rafters to *choose* from"
[Not sure what it means, but "choose" is a common autocorrect for "come"]

2) "Other jerseys in the rafters to come *down*"
[Also, a sensible autocorrect, jerseys coming down from the rafters is a possible follow up to the boards' "Daniel Green: Hang it" joke because several posters have recently suggested with some seriousness that we take down CP3's retired number. This would be a decent joke]

3) RJ may have left out a word: "Other jerseys in the rafters to come from _____."
[Not sure this one is very plausible because the full stop is pretty clear and RJ usually only leaves out verbs in sentences where they are syntactically foregrounded. Not sure what that's called linguistically.]

Ok, RJ, I give up! Which is it? Or can you backform an entirely different explanation in retrospect?

I was in a discussion recently where I discussed reasons I felt his jersey perhaps should not have been retired. I never suggested it be taken down and I have never seen anyone else suggest that... Perhaps I missed it?

I was in a discussion recently where I discussed reasons I felt his jersey perhaps should not have been retired. I never suggested it be taken down and I have never seen anyone else suggest that... Perhaps I missed it?
Wasn't referring to any one person or argument in particular. Just trying to derive any possible sense from RJ's post.

I left out word(s) just so that you (09) could feel good about yourself as you correct me. I am doing it as a public service on your behalf. I want you to continually buttress your feelings of self-worth by being able to correct others.

I am looking after your happiness and will continue this effort.

You're welcome.

Ffs, just proofread and don’t be so dramatic

Even in Naples, which isn’t exactly provincial, we went to restaurants with no English menus or speakers (in a relatively tourist area too). Obviously you can get by for a few days with google translate but it would be a frustrating to live that way.

Off topic, but your posted reminded me of one of the best meals and most enjoyable evenings I've ever had. My wife and I were in Tarifa Spain, right on the Med near Gibraltar. We walked into this hole in the wall looking restaurant that only had about a dozen tables in the entire place. With what my wife refers to as my "restaurant and hotel Spanish" (truly horrible Spanish) we were able to determine that the chef was the owner and the waitress was his daughter. They were the only two people working there..

There was no menu; you ate what they were serving that night. Five different courses, three wines, and the best espresso I've ever tasted. We were there for three hours and I would have guessed it was half that had I not looked at my watch when we paid. I have never enjoyed being around two strangers whom I barely understood as much as that chef and his daughter. Just delightful people and an incredible experience.

I've had similar experiences, but there is a big difference between being a tourist and actually living in a foreign country for any extended period of time. Europeans who work in the tourist industry all speak English. It's a job requirement. And people who work for the State Department and take river cruises tend to be more educated people, most of whom speak English as well.

Try relying only on English in a local grocery store, on a city bus, or at a gas station if you have car problems. And it's a bigger problem in southern Europe than it is in Germanic-speaking countries. And an even larger problem in Asian countries. I've eaten at many restaurants in China and Japan where none of the staff speak English and there is no English on the menus. Just local script and pictures. Anyone who actually lives overseas and doesn't at least learn some of the basics of the language is lazy.

Most of your 2nd paragraph has no bearing on what I said. I was speaking of being all around Europe, not around Asia. I have been in many a small town in Austria, Germany & Italy and been able to get things ordered in a restaurant and bought things in a small store. Having the correct currency certainly helps at times but most places take good old U.S. dollars!

Austria and Germany wide spread use of English. Italy it depends. Spain in the smaller towns very limited English. Greece and Russia much hard since you can't read signs etc. and can't look for words (i.e. food on menus) that you may know when spoken.

The point of this is not that, we as infrequent visitors staying in hotels or on cruise ships, can't get by, but that if you are living in place where you don't have a basic working knowledge of the local language it can get frustrating very fast. If you have a basics understanding of Spanish, French, Italian or whatever other language you can take at Wake you are probably better prepared for spending time overseas than if you attended a school that has not foreign language requirement.

I've been to Scotland and those people supposedly speak English but I generally can't understand a god damn word. In other important news, very few people in Nicaragua speak English but in Costa Rica English is pervasive. Weird, right?

Rj is attack and many incorect are in direction

I've been to Scotland and those people supposedly speak English but I generally can't understand a god damn word. In other important news, very few people in Nicaragua speak English but in Costa Rica English is pervasive. Weird, right?

Very funny, but accurate, observation about the English in Scotland. I’ve played golf there several times. I understood very little of what the caddies said when they were talking amongst themselves. But it seemed like they had a different linguistic gear they used when they were talking with the American tourist golfers. That wa at least borderline understandable.

Very funny, but accurate, observation about the English in Scotland. I’ve played golf there several times. I understood very little of what the caddies said when they were talking amongst themselves. But it seemed like they had a different linguistic gear they used when they were talking with the American tourist golfers. That wa at least borderline understandable.

I should add that the same could be said for much of Alabama and Mississippi. I can’t understand a single word from folks in Lochapoka Alabama.

Most of your 2nd paragraph has no bearing on what I said. I was speaking of being all around Europe, not around Asia. I have been in many a small town in Austria, Germany & Italy and been able to get things ordered in a restaurant and bought things in a small store. Having the correct currency certainly helps at times but most places take good old U.S. dollars!

You’re right. I should not have quoted your post. I was speaking to how hard it can be for a young athlete to live anywhere overseas, not just in the European countries you’ve visited as a tourist.

ESPN posted their top 100 prospects for the draft. Doral and Crawford NOT in the top 100. If either of them stay in they are not getting picked. Will be a waste when they could stay here and develop for one more year.

They aren’t getting drafted next year either. And could probably develop more if their sole focus was basketball.

I want them to stay too, but let’s not act like Wake is their only or best option for continued development.

They aren’t getting drafted next year either. And could probably develop more if their sole focus was basketball.

I want them to stay too, but let’s not act like Wake is their only or best option for continued development.

It is by far their best option for life development. Finished degree + exposure + better facilities + having fun .... they might not choose it, but if they don't it is a poor choice.

Crawford & Moore enter the Draft

Thinking they are going to develop in turkey or Israel or Greece is laughable. Those teams want Americans that are ready to go from day one. Those teams do not exist to develop American players with potential. Now the G league does exist for that very purpose if that is what they interested in

Thinking they are going to develop in turkey or Israel or Greece is laughable. Those teams want Americans that are ready to go from day one. Those teams do not exist to develop American players with potential. Now the G league does exist for that very purpose if that is what they interested in

BINGO!!

Gary Trent Jr. entering draft and signing with an agent. Excellent. Duval already went, as did Bagley. Just need Carter to declare the inevitable, and Duke will have lost their top 5 players.

Carter is gone. He has moved up the most over the past month. In Jan/Feb, some had him as low as 16-20. Now. I've seen him as high as #6.

The G League is about developing you into a potential NBA role-player. The G League is not some AAA baseball club harboring future all-stars, its a place where teams look for guys that can play for 2 weeks until their regular guys come back healthy. Lets not make the G League out to be some great opportunity in the scheme of professional basketball, its a place for NBA rejects to hold on to their dream.

Back