• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford & Moore enter the Draft

Google “my take on whatever” and it’s the first article. I’m not sure I agree with him that it’s a bad sign Crawford and Moore are testing the waters. We want to be a program that produces pro basketball players. What is bad is who our team would consist of without them. And that’s ok Manning. All these guys leaving, while not huge immediate losses, are wastes of resources. Wash SMJ and Mitchell spent a combined 6 scholarship years here, and we have nothing to show for it. That’s not the sign of a successful program.

I love that in the comments section someone referred to Manning as 'Danny Mannequin'. So good.

Clearly a sign this board isn’t attracting the best people. That’s great.

Google “my take on whatever” and it’s the first article. I’m not sure I agree with him that it’s a bad sign Crawford and Moore are testing the waters. We want to be a program that produces pro basketball players. What is bad is who our team would consist of without them. And that’s ok Manning. All these guys leaving, while not huge immediate losses, are wastes of resources. Wash SMJ and Mitchell spent a combined 6 scholarship years here, and we have nothing to show for it. That’s not the sign of a successful program.

We want to be a team the produces NBA players. When guys leave after their junior year to try and scrap out a career overseas that is about as bad a sign as there is of a toxic program.

We want to be a team the produces NBA players after they win at Wake in March. When guys leave after their junior year to try and scrap out a career overseas that is about as bad a sign as there is of a toxic program.

Addendum. We’ve been a program that produces NBA players.

Has Dan done a bit on Woods and his father? Or does he just spout whatever comes to mind now? JC and Dino leaving were not way negative for Wake overall, so not sure why he alludes to that, or leave the impression that it is. Did anyone question JC's decision to leave when he was a first round pick? I don't think so.

Dan is no more than a glorified message board poster right now, he's just giving his opinion and not adding anything new.

Has Dan done a bit on Woods and his father? Or does he just spout whatever comes to mind now? JC and Dino leaving were not way negative for Wake overall, so not sure why he alludes to that, or leave the impression that it is. Did anyone question JC's decision to leave when he was a first round pick? I don't think so.

Dan is no more than a glorified message board poster right now, he's just giving his opinion and not adding anything new.

tenor.gif

Never be the last guy to realize the ship sinking.

Agree with your comments about Dino and JC, but Dan offers a good perspective about how announcements like this one are normally handled in the media. I have a more negative view on the player's odds of returning after reading Dan's comments. Manning has had a few days to break away from the Kansas delegation at the Final Four, and make a supportive comment for the record.

What supportive thing could he say? My two juniors, one who had aspirations of being a lottery pick at the start of the season, and one who was just hoping to get playing time, are going to test the waters. Neither are going to get the information they REALLY want to hear, but neither are going to be surprised either. Crawford needs to make better decisions as a point guard and Moore needs to string two productive seasons together, plus get more demonstrative in the paint. He needs to not just call for the ball, but demand it, like John Collins did. If both make those progressions, then they will be in the draft conversation this time next year. If they are both in the draft conversation next year, then I did my job as coach and we had a great season.

Do you think he should post that???

What supportive thing could he say? My two juniors, one who had aspirations of being a lottery pick at the start of the season, and one who was just hoping to get playing time, are going to test the waters. Neither are going to get the information they REALLY want to hear, but neither are going to be surprised either. Crawford needs to make better decisions as a point guard and Moore needs to string two productive seasons together, plus get more demonstrative in the paint. He needs to not just call for the ball, but demand it, like John Collins did. If both make those progressions, then they will be in the draft conversation this time next year. If they are both in the draft conversation next year, then I did my job as coach and we had a great season.

Do you think he should post that???

Weren't you a [Redacted] defender until late into year 4?

Can somebody check the record on this guy for me please.

February 13, 2014.

This is why so many Buzz outers are the lunatic fringe. You cannot logically make the argument that Bzd is an awful basketball coach or awful in game or late game coach. Because facts and numbes don't back that up. We won 8 games the first year, then 13, 13 and this year probably 16+. That shows an improved trajectory. Based on numbers, it is silly to argue that he's a horrible basketball coach.

What is easy to argue or worthy of discussion is what is Bzd's ceiling? And is he a worthy leader of an ACC program. The answer to the later is no as he just doesn't pull off all the non-basketball stuff you pay a head coach to be able to handle without much trouble - a radio show for example. The answer to the first question seems to be a borderline NCAA tournament program. That is a step back from what we are used and two steps back from where we'd like to be.

It would be great if the billboard collective approached the argument from that logical angle. But I see more "I wish Bzd would die" posts than I do worthy arguments.

But RJ is wrong on this as he has been for a while - you can't be immediately opposed to the Bzd hire and not own the fact that we made it somewhat more difficult for him to succeed recruiting and otherwise. Add to that Bzd is not a personality that takes loathing well ;-) It's a bit of a catch-22. If Bzd had been Skip's right hand man instead of Dino I wonder how the last six or seven years would have played out. Would he have maintained the program? Would we have been more forgiving of his personality faults/traits? Don't know. He needs to be gone though and I would hope an experienced team with two years of eligibility left plus a bunch of schollies to give out after that would be enticing to a young talented coach.

REDACTED left WFU the next month.

Going back to the number of players who declare and don't return. To make it a reasonable projection, you should only include those who are not guaranteed or thought to be guaranteed being a first round pick.

Last year, 138 players declared. 23/24 underclassmen went in the first round. There were 6-9 players who thought they would be 1st Round picks but went in the second round (players like Rabb, Bryant, Jackson). Being conservative, that means about 30 players stayed in because of reasonably good information.

This means of the 108 players remained on the list. At least a dozen were total yokels who might have done it for a thrill.

Even if you use the 108 number, it means about 2/3 of those who were borderline returned. If you get rid of the yokels, it's closer to 3/4.

I think it happened way before Bzzy. jb has definitely done some good shrooms in his time.

Back