• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford & Moore enter the Draft

Ah, Dan didn't have the balls to stand up to Wellman when it mattered, if you only do it when it's convenient that doesn't say much about you.

Manning is going to be here next year, he either gets it done or he'll be gone. Its gonna be a long 6-7 months on the boards.

I was actually the guy the HIGHEST (at the time of hire) on Bzd than anybody here. In a nutshell, because when I was NBA obsessed and using the NBA ticket for a year or two 15+ years ago, Bzd was doing amazing things in Denver (pre-Melo). For some dumb reason, I watched probably 30 Coach Bzd-led Nugget games. I probably watched Joe Wolfe suck at NBA basketball more than his parents.

I am not running away from that. I actually stopped posting for a year, two years as result. Self imposed exile. I was also wrong on Dwayne Wade. I thought he was a bad lottery pick, a classic tweener who would never make it in the NBA or make it into a Jay-Z song. I was wrong on both those predictions too.

As it turns out, Bzd is a pretty good NBA assistant coach whom you was a terrible leader of a college basketball program. I have a feeling he'd be a bad head NBA coach too. For all the reasons he failed at Wake. I think my post there 4 years ago was fairly accurate.

But anyway, as for Manning. I haven't posted much on him. He has super long arms that look funny when he crosses them in front of his blazer, usually double-breasted. I have been critical of his in game management, especially substitution patterns. In theory, his narrative should be pretty compelling. Especially for 4-star + kids with NBA aspirations and who live with parents that were basketball fans or players - folks who remember Manning as a college player and maybe a little bit of his NBA days. That narrative, however, doesn't make him a good basketball coach. I do think his big man training has been what we expected - solid to exceptional. He undermines that somewhat with stupid substitution patterns, but if I was a borderline NBA prospect 6'9" or taller, I would give Wake a long long look.

I am high on Chaundee Brown, more than most on here. I consider him a 4-year player with 3 years of double digit scoring and 6+ rebounds ahead of him. I consider Sarr a future borderline NBA player and I think Hoard could be a 1-and-done or a 2-and-done. I think Mucius is going to be great. So ... I am of the opine that this team is going to be really really talented next year and that it is NCAA tourney or bust. If I was Wellman, I'd make that emphatically clear to Manning. I might even consider giving Manning a quick yank next year if we, for example, lose Moore and start off the season losing to Mercer and Bumfuck State like last year. If you want to test Childress, he'd need 20+ games to be fair to him. That is where I am at with Manning. I want to like him, but I am truly bored by his personality. Despite his narrative. The guy could do a Quentin Tarantino script read out loud and make it sound like an accountant giving an S-corp presentation.

Last edited:
I was actually the guy the HIGHEST (at the time of hire) on Bzd than anybody here. In a nutshell, because when I was NBA obsessed and using the NBA ticket for a year or two 15+ years ago, Bzd was doing amazing things in Denver (pre-Melo). For some dumb reason, I watched probably 30 Coach Bzd-led Nugget games. I probably watched Joe Wolfe suck at NBA basketball more than his parents.

I am not running away from that. I actually stopped posting for a year, two years as result. Self imposed exile. I was also wrong on Dwayne Wade. I thought he was a bad lottery pick, a classic tweener who would never make it in the NBA or make it into a Jay-Z song. I was wrong on both those predictions too.

As it turns out, Bzd is a pretty good NBA assistant coach whom you was a terrible leader of a college basketball program. I have a feeling he'd be a bad head NBA coach too. For all the reasons he failed at Wake. I think my post there 4 years ago was fairly accurate.

[Redacted] only coached the Nuggets for one season pre-Melo. They were 17-65, tied with the Cavs for the worst record in the NBA. They had the worst offense in the NBA, by far.

would rather not do this again. I was impressed with him as a coach. His first year team was had the worst talent in the league and it wasn't even close. I guess the year they were good was Melo's rookie year. I am not a Melo fan so I must have suppressed that. His teams played good defense and were professional. That is as far as I'd like to go on it.

would rather not do this again. I was impressed with him as a coach. His first year team was had the worst talent in the league and it wasn't even close. I guess the year they were good was Melo's rookie year. I am not a Melo fan so I must have suppressed that. His teams played good defense and were professional. That is as far as I'd like to go on it.

what about their socks?

Am I missing something here? If you actually read jaybone's 2014 post, he doesn't come across as a bz defender. "He needs to be gone though" and "he just doesn't pull off all the non-basketball stuff you pay a head coach to be able to handle without much trouble" aren't something I'd expect a "bz defender" to say, at least.

dv7 #noSAT

Manning is going to be here next year, he either gets it done or he'll be gone. Its gonna be a long 6-7 months on the boards.

People keep saying this like it is true. It's like you guys don't realize Wellman is self absorbed, accountable to no-one, and has a hard time admitting his mistakes.

Manning could suck for quite a few more years as Wake Basketball continues to circle the drain.

People keep saying this like it is true. It's like you guys don't realize Wellman is self absorbed, accountable to no-one, and has a hard time admitting his mistakes.

Manning could suck for quite a few more years as Wake Basketball continues to circle the drain.

If Crawford and Moore return, I suspect Manning will have a hard time not making the Tourney. If we are not close it would be hard to argue to keep him, of course Wellman could fall on his sword again, but was Manning the hand selected replacement that Bzz was? I didn't think so, I think the issue is that Manning is very well liked across the NCAA so Wellman put himself in a corner. You can't just disrespect Manning in this process. When he was dealing with Dino and Bzz, who really care, a couple of no name coaches get canned barely sends a ripple, but if Manning gets fired, it better be clearly justified, or there will be a backlash in the media (except for Dan Collins).

At his camps, John Wooden would spend hours on putting your socks and shoes on properly.

Two reasons for this. One was demonstrating attention to detail. Even the smallest things (proper wearing of socks) needed to be taken care of.
Second, shoes back then were not nearly as well constructed as those of today. Limited padding, arch support etc. Proper socks (usually two, sometimes three pair) made up for some of the lack of padding. However, the smallest wrinkle or crease in the socks could create a rub, then a blister which could keep a player from practicing and playing for a week. A blister could develop in a single practice session and then put the player out for a while, until it healed sufficiently.

Who gives a shit about being nice to Danny if he's well-liked around the NCAA?? I'm sure he's a nice dude and fun to talk to and learn a few things from in practice. But if he can't win basketball games with the talent he has next year -- assuming Craw & Moore come back -- then he needs to be gone. This is a damn business, not a summer camp for aspiring coaches. Get the job done or get out.

Two reasons for this. One was demonstrating attention to detail. Even the smallest things (proper wearing of socks) needed to be taken care of.
Second, shoes back then were not nearly as well constructed as those of today. Limited padding, arch support etc. Proper socks (usually two, sometimes three pair) made up for some of the lack of padding. However, the smallest wrinkle or crease in the socks could create a rub, then a blister which could keep a player from practicing and playing for a week. A blister could develop in a single practice session and then put the player out for a while, until it healed sufficiently.

Brilliant.

This is the most Deaconblue post ever.

If Crawford and Moore return, I suspect Manning will have a hard time not making the Tourney. If we are not close it would be hard to argue to keep him, of course Wellman could fall on his sword again, but was Manning the hand selected replacement that Bzz was? I didn't think so, I think the issue is that Manning is very well liked across the NCAA so Wellman put himself in a corner. You can't just disrespect Manning in this process. When he was dealing with Dino and Bzz, who really care, a couple of no name coaches get canned barely sends a ripple, but if Manning gets fired, it better be clearly justified, or there will be a backlash in the media (except for Dan Collins).

Nobody will care if Manning gets fired. Former great players get fired from coaching jobs almost every year and it's no big deal.

Weren't you a [Redacted] defender until late into year 4?

Can somebody check the record on this guy for me please.

Jaybone and RJ were both longtime Buzz supporters. Not surprising they are fans of letting Danny run our program into the ground now. Not that we aren't pretty much close to rock bottom anyway.

link to testimonials of Wooden spending "hours" (as in plural) on putting on socks.

Back