• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford & Moore enter the Draft

This all begs the question - what would our kenpom be if our equipment manager was able to get us the best Nike socks for every player? Maybe Danny is only 26 pairs away from greatness.

Jaybone and RJ were both longtime Buzz supporters. Not surprising they are fans of letting Danny run our program into the ground now. Not that we aren't pretty much close to rock bottom anyway.

What was the quote from Wellman/Bzzz?

Reporter- "Is this rock bottom"
Bzzz- "No, this is not rock bottom" ---- responding after coming off a 12 game losing streak and getting throttled by 30+ at home

One of the many classic bzzz responses.

link to testimonials of Wooden spending "hours" (as in plural) on putting on socks.

There are hundreds of links. Here are some quotes:

"Walton related the shock that he and other new players felt when the first thing Wooden did was sit them down and teach them how to put on their shoes and socks. Doing this properly, Walton said, was the initial lesson for "everything we would need to know for the rest of our lives."

""You know, basketball is a game that's played on a hardwood floor," Wooden said. "And to be good, you have to ... change your direction, change your pace. That's hard on your feet. Your feet are very important. And if you don't have every wrinkle out of your sock..."

Wooden: "Now pull it up in the back, pull it up real good, real strong. Now run your hand around the little toe area ... make sure there are no wrinkles and then pull it back up. Check the heel area. We don't want any sign of a wrinkle about it ... The wrinkle will be sure you get blisters, and those blisters are going to make you lose playing time, and if you're good enough, your loss of playing time might get the coach fired."

To audience laughter, Wooden pulled out an athletic shoe.

"Now put it in wide, now pull it up," he told Robert. "Now don't grab these lines up here, go down, eyelet by eyelet ... each one, that's it. Now pull it in there ... Tie it like this... "

The coach teased Robert gently as he explained why this was so important.

"There's always a danger of becoming untied when you are playing," he said. "If they become untied, I may have to take you out of the game — practice, I may have to take you out. Miss practice, you're going to miss playing time and not only that, it will irritate me a little too."

Clearly these two are abandoning the Clemson ship because Brownell is lost as a coach because that is the only reason that a college junior would test the waters... :willynilly:

Clearly these two are abandoning the Clemson ship because Brownell is lost as a coach because that is the only reason that a college junior would test the waters... :willynilly:

Big different between juniors from a good team testing the waters vs. juniors from a bad team testing the waters.

If Crawford and Moore return, I suspect Manning will have a hard time not making the Tourney. If we are not close it would be hard to argue to keep him, of course Wellman could fall on his sword again, but was Manning the hand selected replacement that Bzz was? I didn't think so, I think the issue is that Manning is very well liked across the NCAA so Wellman put himself in a corner. You can't just disrespect Manning in this process. When he was dealing with Dino and Bzz, who really care, a couple of no name coaches get canned barely sends a ripple, but if Manning gets fired, it better be clearly justified, or there will be a backlash in the media (except for Dan Collins).

Not buying any of this. First of all Danny is plenty capable of shepherding a talented team to a losing record.

To your second point; if firing Manning will be harder than firing another coach, the original choice was even worse than it appeared.

Just more losing all around.

There are hundreds of links. Here are some quotes:

"Walton related the shock that he and other new players felt when the first thing Wooden did was sit them down and teach them how to put on their shoes and socks. Doing this properly, Walton said, was the initial lesson for "everything we would need to know for the rest of our lives."

""You know, basketball is a game that's played on a hardwood floor," Wooden said. "And to be good, you have to ... change your direction, change your pace. That's hard on your feet. Your feet are very important. And if you don't have every wrinkle out of your sock..."

Wooden: "Now pull it up in the back, pull it up real good, real strong. Now run your hand around the little toe area ... make sure there are no wrinkles and then pull it back up. Check the heel area. We don't want any sign of a wrinkle about it ... The wrinkle will be sure you get blisters, and those blisters are going to make you lose playing time, and if you're good enough, your loss of playing time might get the coach fired."

To audience laughter, Wooden pulled out an athletic shoe.

"Now put it in wide, now pull it up," he told Robert. "Now don't grab these lines up here, go down, eyelet by eyelet ... each one, that's it. Now pull it in there ... Tie it like this... "

The coach teased Robert gently as he explained why this was so important.

"There's always a danger of becoming untied when you are playing," he said. "If they become untied, I may have to take you out of the game — practice, I may have to take you out. Miss practice, you're going to miss playing time and not only that, it will irritate me a little too."

so about 5-8 min, then

Am I missing something here? If you actually read jaybone's 2014 post, he doesn't come across as a bz defender. "He needs to be gone though" and "he just doesn't pull off all the non-basketball stuff you pay a head coach to be able to handle without much trouble" aren't something I'd expect a "bz defender" to say, at least.

dv7 #noSAT

Thanks, but I will reluctantly admit I was relieved how well I came off in 2014. I think I spent year 1-3 of Bzd's tenure fully defending him. I can't remember the tipping point for me, but not being able to handle a radio show without pre-screening questions was certainly troubling.

Anyway, it is why I took years off posting. I was embarrassed by how caustic I got which is ironic as yesterday I got as caustic with PH as I have in the two years since I returned to posting, albeit much less frequently.

But it is PH, he can handle it. We've broken bread together

Big different between juniors from a good team testing the waters vs. juniors from a bad team testing the waters.

Don't see it. Juniors seeing where they stand at both programs; the parallels between the ACC juniors Crawford/Moore and Mitchell/Reed are undeniable. Every reason to think Crawford and Moore would be doing the same thing if WF won 20+ games and advanced in the NCAAs; Crawford and Moore are basketball players that would like to be paid to play after 3 years in college. At this point, everything is Manning's fault even when it isn't. To critique DM, we don't need to go beyond what is undisputed: WF went 11-20 (4-15). Blaming EVERYTHING on Manning actually weakens the valid criticisms.

Last edited:
At camps he checked every player...but be an internet dick...it's so becoming.

Jaybone and RJ were both longtime Buzz supporters. Not surprising they are fans of letting Danny run our program into the ground now. Not that we aren't pretty much close to rock bottom anyway.

See my post on the Doral thread. And RJ was Buzz DETRACTOR pretty early, if memory serves.

For the record, I am of the opinion that Danny should be allowed to come back next year with whatever roster he puts together and he MUST make the NCAA tourney to keep his job. I have also stated that no matter who is on our roster next year, if we stagger early, say start 1-3 against inferior competition next year (even if we lose both Doral and Craw or have some injury or academic suspension), I AM IN FAVOR of giving Manning the quick yank and handing the reigns to Chill for the remainder of the season. I don't think it is fair to Chill unless he has 20+ games, but through the first 10 games, I would almost have Manning on an NBA level quick hook, with a bad start that is coupled with the rinse and repeat mess we saw this year: inconsistent D, high turnovers, bad shots, etc...

No. There is actually none. Per the NCAA, there is no "different." Both can come back. In fact, it makes sense to do exactly what all four are doing. Again, it is like getting a free long interview with your ideal employer AND get valued and detailed interview and resume feedback in the process. You'd be stupid NOT to do it.

Don't see it. Juniors seeing where they stand at both programs; the parallels between the ACC juniors Crawford/Moore and Mitchell/Reed are undeniable. Every reason to think Crawford and Moore would be doing the same thing if WF won 20+ games and advanced in the NCAAs; Crawford and Moore are basketball players that would like to be paid to play after 3 years in college. At this point, everything is Manning's fault even when it isn't. To critique DM, we don't need to go beyond what is undisputed: WF went 11-20 (4-15). Blaming EVERYTHING on Manning actually weakens the valid criticisms.

Players testing the waters from a good team probably aren't considering leaving because they don't think they can win in college.

Players testing the waters from a good team probably aren't considering leaving because they don't think they can win in college.

Just give it up. Similarly situated juniors in college want to find out what their professional prospects are. As evidenced by the Clemson juniors, the move makes sense whether your team went 25-9 or 11-20. This isn't a Manning issue; this is a junior considering his options issue. As stated above, there is no need to manipulate reality to go after Danny. The Clemson juniors' declaration for the draft confirm that "winning in college" is not a consideration when a NCAA player opts for professional consideration while not hiring an agent.

Last edited:
The biggest concern is that usually when Wake loses someone to the draft, they don't come back. Granted when we have lost players in the past, they were CP3/Teague/JJ/Aminu/Collins types, but still. I am not that confident either will return to school. This team may be awful again next year.

mannequin-bodiesposes-male-standing-basketball-player-3.jpg

Back