• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The demise of Wake Forest Basketball

To be clear, I have 0 info on Manning’s hours. My hunch is based exclusively on watching him on the sidelines and my attention to the work ethic of everyone else I know who has banked 50 mil.

So by watching him on the sidelines you can tell he doesn't work 40 hours/week? Ok. Just admit that part of your comment was BS. There are plenty of valid criticisms to be made without making crap up.

People that are hugely successful in life are often different. I personally know several people who have made more money than I ever will and more than they can spend. And yet they continue working their asses off. I don't really understand it - I would be playing golf everyday until I got bored of that and then I would travel and then I would play more golf and then I might work on a few fun projects or something... But that is one of the reasons why I don't have that kind of money and never will - they are different. I won't guess which bucket Manning falls into because I don't know - but I won't assume he's not working hard just because he made a lot of money.

Has this been posted elsewhere? Is the university trolling me with these wake will campaign emails telling me to change my socks?

If Georgia can hire a legit corch like Tom Crean...what is Wake doing?

To be clear, I have 0 info on Manning’s hours. My hunch is based exclusively on watching him on the sidelines and my attention to the work ethic of everyone else I know who has banked 50 mil.

Note to self. DR hasn’t banked 50 mil yet.

Stay hungry.

Manning wasn't a bad hire. He was a worthwhile risk and actually improved the program from Bz, but he's not the guy and we need to move on.

Manning wasn't a bad hire. He was a worthwhile risk and actually improved the program from Bz, but he's not the guy and we need to move on.

I thought he was a bad hire. Wellman should attend games or watch tape. Manning's demeanor would have been obvious. Maybe he did and Plastic Ron liked Plastic Manning.

I also said at the time no successful (50+ mil) NBA vet could successfully coach in college. That has proven itself to be true. He is lazy.

I predict Penny Hardaway will fail too. College hoops coaching is an 80 hour a week gig. Very, very hard to do sitting on that much coin with your legacy already secure.

Need blue collar guys looking to create their legacy and go all in to make it happen. K, Dean, Odom, Wes Miller, Kelsey. Those types.

4 years ago I had a conversation at Over dinner with John Feinstein about Wake basketball. Before we got up to leave I asked John if Danny Manning was the guy and he said absolutely. I spent 10 minutes with John tonight and reminded him of our conversation and asked if he still felt that way.

John joked that he’s rarely wrong but in this case he was. Said he believed Danny would rise to the occasion but hasn’t and not much would change now. Said he doesn’t follow us closely but can’t understand why so many players have left the program.

john isn't self aware. he's wrong quite often.

FWIW, I asked Brad Stevens in early November 2016 (the Celtics were off to a relatively slow start) if he had any interest in coaching Wake Forest. Stevens paused for a second and then replied, "You already have a good coach."

I also add that there is hearsay evidence out there that Bill Self is one of the biggest cheaters in cb and the FBI investigation lends support to this assertion.

I thought he was a bad hire. Wellman should attend games or watch tape. Manning's demeanor would have been obvious. Maybe he did and Plastic Ron liked Plastic Manning.

I also said at the time no successful (50+ mil) NBA vet could successfully coach in college. That has proven itself to be true. He is lazy.

I predict Penny Hardaway will fail too. College hoops coaching is an 80 hour a week gig. Very, very hard to do sitting on that much coin with your legacy already secure.

Need blue collar guys looking to create their legacy and go all in to make it happen. K, Dean, Odom, Wes Miller, Kelsey. Those types.

Avery Johnson is doing a pretty good job in Alabama.

One part of coaching that I think Danny is still learning is what to do, as a coach, with less than elite/superior talent. To elaborate, Danny trained as a college coach under Bill Self at Kansas, one of the acknowledged "blue blood" programs, where elite (top 50 type HS players) talent is the norm. So he learned to coach with a lot of really good players to work with. At Tulsa, he ended up with a bunch of guys who were better than their conference opponents and got to the NCAA tournament.

At Wake he is dealing with talent that is neither elite nor even superior to the opponents. In fact, he is dealing with players that in general have talent levels below much of the opposition. He recognized the situation, and I suspect some of the unusual lineups and substitution patterns were a result of him tinkering without much of a knowledge base on what to do in that kind of situation. He did pretty well coaching when he had an elite talent in John Collins.

It looks like he wants to play a "switch everything" man to man defense. However, this only works well when the players are able to handle the switches. With the Wake lineup, it ended up having Doral trying to guard a 6 foot guy on the perimeter, and BChill getting worked by a center or PF on the low blocks, with predictable results. He has been reluctant to go away from that, although it would seem the zone would be better with the players at Wake this past season. 2018-2019 team looks to have more players who are suited to defending multiple different opposition players. We will see if the improved personnel leads to improved performance and record.

I get your theory, but what happens next season that prevents Moore from guarding a 6 ft guy on the perimeter or Chill getting bodied in the paint by a big guy?

One part of coaching that I think Danny is still learning is what to do, as a coach, with less than elite/superior talent. To elaborate, Danny trained as a college coach under Bill Self at Kansas, one of the acknowledged "blue blood" programs, where elite (top 50 type HS players) talent is the norm. So he learned to coach with a lot of really good players to work with. At Tulsa, he ended up with a bunch of guys who were better than their conference opponents and got to the NCAA tournament.

At Wake he is dealing with talent that is neither elite nor even superior to the opponents. In fact, he is dealing with players that in general have talent levels below much of the opposition. He recognized the situation, and I suspect some of the unusual lineups and substitution patterns were a result of him tinkering without much of a knowledge base on what to do in that kind of situation. He did pretty well coaching when he had an elite talent in John Collins.

It looks like he wants to play a "switch everything" man to man defense. However, this only works well when the players are able to handle the switches. With the Wake lineup, it ended up having Doral trying to guard a 6 foot guy on the perimeter, and BChill getting worked by a center or PF on the low blocks, with predictable results. He has been reluctant to go away from that, although it would seem the zone would be better with the players at Wake this past season. 2018-2019 team looks to have more players who are suited to defending multiple different opposition players. We will see if the improved personnel leads to improved performance and record.

It's pretty easy to coach when you have superior talent. Where a coach proves his mettle is when he has equivalent or slightly deficient talent.

Not looking competent on that front.

Back