• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino to Louisville

that final dino class was well regarded.

The conventional wisdom when Bzzz came in was what a great situation for a new coach to come in on. 4 top 100 recruits including two top 50 level, Woods, Stewart and Harris returning.

Last edited:
Dino isn't the Louisville AHC (neither are the other two assistants), and he was the third assistant hired, but that doesn't mean he's the third most important assistant coach. We won't really know his relative importance until the salaries are released. I would be beyond shocked if he is the lowest paid Louisville assistant though.

Last edited:
With what they are paying, do you really think he wouldn't look? Also schools reach out for people they want. It didn't happen.

So, you don't know. You are making an assertion, based on an (unverified) assumption or two, and stating it as if it is a fact supporting your argument that firing Dino, when we did, was the right move. I supported the firing at the time too. I thought Dino was disappointing and was frustrated, but within two years I realized it was a huge mistake. I still agree that he was not a good enough coach to be an HC in ACC long term, but he'd done ok to that point and deserved another season at least. If you think Manning deserves another season but that Dino was fired at the right time you have significant cognitive dissonance.

So, you don't know. You are making an assertion, based on an (unverified) assumption or two, and stating it as if it is a fact supporting your argument that firing Dino, when we did, was the right move. I supported the firing at the time too. I thought Dino was disappointing and was frustrated, but within two years I realized it was a huge mistake. I still agree that he was not a good enough coach to be an HC in ACC long term, but he'd done ok to that point and deserved another season at least. If you think Manning deserves another season but that Dino was fired at the right time you have significant cognitive dissonance.

You have repeated, serious, growing anger issues towards someone you don't know and have never even spoken with.

I promise RJ has never kicked your dog nor fucked your wife/girlfriend.

If you can be this angry with him in a non-real world situation, I shudder to think how you react to things in real life. You need serious and immediate professional help.

Since when do you name call? That's below you.

In the instant info age, it is virtually impossible to hide who has shown interest and who is interested in a specific HC job.

Could one fall through? Sure.

Could more than over over an eight year period? That's extremely unlikely.

Add to the above, he's been on ESPN for years. They would bring it up.

Further, you can't bring scientific or mathematical probability to situations like this. Hell, even Pat Kelsey signed with UMass and then backed out. It happens and you can't plan for it.

In no way am I defending Wellman, but I telling you about reality.

Last edited:
tumblr_inline_mtjd4guFZ81r0pk4w.gif

Since when do you name call? That's below you.

In the instant info age, it is virtually impossible to hide who has shown interest and who is interested in a specific HC job.

Could one fall through? Sure.

Could more than over over an eight year period? That's extremely unlikely.

Add to the above, he's been on ESPN for years. They would bring it up.

Further, you can't bring scientific or mathematical probability to situations like this. Hell, even Pat Kelsey signed with UMass and then backed out. It happens and you can't plan for it.

In no way am I defending Wellman, but I telling you about reality.

What name did I call you? Cognitive dissonance? Holding two contradictory opinions is cognitive dissonance; its not meant to be insulting, it is meant to be descriptive.

You have repeated, serious, growing anger issues towards someone you don't know and have never even spoken with.

I promise RJ has never kicked your dog nor fucked your wife/girlfriend.

If you can be this angry with him in a non-real world situation, I shudder to think how you react to things in real life. You need serious and immediate professional help.

He didn't seem angry at all.

What name did I call you? Cognitive dissonance? Holding two contradictory opinions is cognitive dissonance; its not meant to be insulting, it is meant to be descriptive.

It's totally inaccurate. Each of my positions has merit. I know there is no way to convince you of this, but they are totally independent and each stands on its own.

It's totally inaccurate. Each of my positions has merit. I know there is no way to convince you of this, but they are totally independent and each stands on its own.

I could be convinced but the two propositions seem contradictory to me. Why was it clearly time for Dino to go and Manning deserves more time?

Dino's head coaching record before getting the WF job:

Army:

4 years 36-72 (.333 losing percentage). Fired.

Loyola of MD (Skip took this team to the NCAA tourney before Dino):

3 years 32-52 (.381 losing percentage) with descending records each year; Dino's third year Loyola went 7-21 (4-14) . Fired.

That is Dino's 7 year record as head coach before getting the WF job; two opportunities; terminated by both former employers for poor performance. Awful.

You think, those records at those schools merited the head job in an ACC program? Yes, in three years at WF with teams with multiple NBA players (all recruited when Skip was head coach), Dino had a 61-31 record. Those NBA players were leaving after Dino's third year, and Dino had replaced them with JT Terrell, Tony Chennault and Carson Derosiers. WF was headed in the wrong direction; just as the other two programs that Dino had coached were headed in the wrong direction after 3 years. Further, each of Dino's WF teams collapsed at the end of each of his three seasons of coach.

Dino has a solid record as an assistant and seems like a good guy, but never would have made the list at WF if not for Skip's untimely passing, and there is a reason, no school has offered Dino a head job over the last 8 years. Our fanbase has gotten so warped by 8 years of bad basketball, that some here really believe that Dino Gaudio is a preferred (or even passable) candidate for the head job at WF. He is not that caliber of a coach; the fact that he did better than subsequent bad hires, does not mean that he was anything other than a stop gap choice to deal with Skip unexpected death.

There is a difference from accepting that Dino was a better alternative than [] or DM, and stating that WF "screwed" Dino by recognizing the obvious: that he was not a long term answer as a coach on the ACC level.

What matters is what he did at Wake. Which wasn't remotely worthy of dismissal. And now we are where we are.

I could be convinced but the two propositions seem contradictory to me. Why was it clearly time for Dino to go and Manning deserves more time?

We have agreed that Dino was a bad HC. He's a good assistant. There were a couple of excellent options to replace Dino that Wellman fucked up.

RE: Danny- he took over at the lowest point of Wake bball in 40+ years. In Year 3, he overachieved. No one had us anywhere the postseason of any form. JC's explosion was not predictable early enough to recruit his replacement. Dinos' decision was even more surprising and much later. We weren't going to have a good year this year barring everything falling into place.

Add to the above, we had Danny's best rated recruiting year coming in and deserved the ability to coach THIS year. I've been steadfast in saying -No Dance- No Job and won't change that.

The ONLY out is a Top 10 recruiting year-which looks highly unlikely.

The Dino firing looks great in RJs fantasy world where the only reason why Brad Stevens isn’t coaching at Wake instead of the Celtics is because Wellman low balled him. (A statement yet to be even remotely proven as a fact and not make believe)

Not that anyone will care, but my brother-in-law works at ESPN. When Dino popped up in their online NCAA coverage (he worked with the espn3 side of things for a while) I mentioned it to him and every now and then he'd give me an update. For anyone not following ESPN lately they went through a purge and basically fired almost everyone making any money. He told me Dino was on the tail end of a few coaching discussions and it was assumed he was doing the el cheapo coverage stuff to boost his prospects for landing a head coaching gig. He met him a few times and announcing didn't seem like a big deal to him. When the purge hit, Dino had both missed any head coaching window and was benefiting from fewer commentators working for ESPN so he started doing a lot more games but still wanted to coach. He had him pegged as eventually giving in to take another assistant position but at a high profile school, which is pretty much what happened. As for the hire, Mack wanted to bring his own 3rd assistant but couldn't, so Dino was very much the last addition to the staff. But he's a great addition and should be hungry to prove himself again on the recruiting trail. Now Louisville gets the head coach Wake would have killed for and they get one of our best assistant coaches along with him.

It's going to be annoying when Dino uses Paul, Teague, Ish, Aminu and Johnson to sell recruits on Louisville.

F ronnie, the bot, and anyone that has given a dime since [name redacted] was hired.

I hope "F" stands for "FIRE" because that is what needs to happen to the BOARD OF TRUSTEES for ruining our beloved basketball program

Back