• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino to Louisville

That you, buckets?

DaW1uGxXkAI2sFE.jpg

People talk about the curse of the nut punch. I think it's just karma for fucking Dino over the way that we did. I remember thinking at the time that firing Dino was a good move, because I am a fucking moron. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Last edited:
People talk about the curse of the nut punch. I think it's just karma for fucking Dino over the way that we did. I remember thinking at the time that firing Dino was a good move, because I am a fucking moron. I'm sure I'm not alone.

It was a good move until we hired [Redacted].

Dino was never the long term answer as WF's basketball coach, but as Ph said, the mistake was not firing Dino (he never would've been considered for the WF job or any even remotely comparable job if not for the Skip's unexpected death in mid-Summer 2007), but in turning the program over to []. FWIW, John Wooden assisted by Brad Stevens and Coach K could've coached the WF 2010-2011 team (the year after Dino was terminated -- 8-24; 1-16; #259), and that team would've sucked big time; Wellman saved Dino's coaching reputation by firing him before that season. The program was trending in the wrong direction. Wellman just made it worse with the asinine [] hire.

Dino is well-suited as an assistant, and would think he will recruit at high level at L'ville. Just shows how far the program has fallen when we pine for the days when Dino was the head coach.

Dino was never the long term answer as WF's basketball coach, but as Ph said, the mistake was not firing Dino (he never would've been considered for the WF job or any even remotely comparable job if not for the Skip's unexpected death in mid-Summer 2007), but in turning the program over to []. FWIW, John Wooden assisted by Brad Stevens and Coach K could've coached the WF 2010-2011 team (the year after Dino was terminated -- 8-24; 1-16; #259), and that team would've sucked big time; Wellman saved Dino's coaching reputation by firing him before that season. The program was trending in the wrong direction. Wellman just made it worse with the asinine [] hire.

Dino is well-suited as an assistant, and would think he will recruit at high level at L'ville. Just shows how far the program has fallen when we pine for the days when Dino was the head coach.

Disagree. The team would have been good defensively under Dino. The record would have been normal for a down Wake team.

Now it’s Wooden, K, and Stevens???

Disagree. The team would have been good defensively under Dino. The record would have been normal for a down Wake team.

This roster would win 18 games?

No. Name Pos Ht Wt Yr Ppg Rpg Note
0 J.T. Terrell G 6-3 175 Fr. 11.1 2.1 Second-leading scorer started 18 games
1 Tony Chennault G 6-2 195 Fr. 4.5 2.5 Played in 14 games in return from broken foot
2 Gary Clark G 6-4 200 Sr. 10.9 2.2 Led country with 55% mark from 3-point range
11 C.J. Harris G 6-3 185 So. 10.3 3.4 Top 10 in ACC in assists, FT pct., min. played
20 Ari Stewart F 6-7 205 So. 8.5 4.4 Team’s second-leading rebounder with 4.4 rpg
25 Nikita Mescheriakov F 6-8 215 R-Jr. 4.5 1.8 Averaged 9.8 points over last four games
30 Travis McKie F 6-7 205 Fr. 13.0 7.7 Freshman All-America & ACC All-Freshman
33 Carson Desrosiers C 7-0 235 Fr. 4.0 3.2 Most blocks for Wake freshman since Duncan
40 Ty Walker C 7-0 230 Jr. 3.6 3.5 Ranks 6th on school’s single-season blocks list
41 Brooks Godwin F 6-5 210 Jr. 0.2 0.3 Pulled down 4 rebounds in 13 games this year
43 Aaron Ingle G 6-0 175 Jr. 0.2 0.1 Emergency point guard played in 16 games
45 Ryan Keenan F 6-4 195 Jr. 0.5 0.3 Played in 12 games, including 14 min. at BC
52 Denmore McDermott F 6-5 235 Sr. 0.3 0.4 Sang the national anthem on Senior Day

WF started 3 freshman that year (and 4th was 6th in minutes); with no size other Carson Desroisers, Ty Walker and Nikita Mescheriakov, WF was among the worst rebounding teams in the nation (#319 in offensive rebounding; #272 in defensive rebounding). With frosh Tony Chennault as the only true PG, WF turned the ball over a ton (#272 in TO%). With a young untalented team, WF was #282 in defense. They may have been better defensively under Dino, but the year still would've been a disaster. WF lost to Stetson (#300), Presby (#254), Winthrop (#221) and UNC-W (#204); as bad as this past season was, WF didn't lose to any team ranked 200 or below. NC State (a non NCAA tourney team, coached by Sidney Lowe) swept WF winning both games by more than 20. The 2010-2011 Deacs would've sucked (hard) whomever coached them.

Last edited:
WF started 3 freshman that year; with no size other Carson Desroisers, Ty Walker and Nikita Mescheriakov, WF was among the worst rebounding teams in the nation (#319 in offensive rebounding; #272 in defensive rebounding). With frosh Tony Chennault as the only true PG, WF turned the ball over a ton (#272 in TO%). With a young untalented team, WF was #282 in defense. They may have been better defensively under Dino, but the year still would've been a disaster. WF lost to Stetson (#300), Presby (#254), Winthrop (#221) and UNC-W (#204); as bad as this past season was, WF didn't lose to any team ranked 200 or below. NC State (a non NCAA tourney team, coached by Sidney Lowe) swept WF winning both games by more than 20. The 2010-2011 would've sucked (hard) whomever coached them.

Meh. A hall of fame coach and the greatest bench of all time inheriting 5 Top-100 players probably could have won something closer to 18 games. We wouldn’t have been good, but I feel like our fan base has forgotten what good coaching can do.

Meh. A hall of fame coach and the greatest bench of all time inheriting 5 Top-100 players probably could have won something closer to 18 games. We wouldn’t have been good, but I feel like our fan base has forgotten what good coaching can do.

Great coaches have had awful teams when they had no talent. Coach K faked a back injury when his 1995 Duke team was headed to DFL finish in the ACC. Michigan went 10-22 under John Beilein in 2008. Gregg Marshall went 11-20 (in a crappy conference his first year at Wichita State), Buzz Williams went 11-22 in his first year at VT. The first year of a rebuild, and WF was a rebuild in 2010-2011, is almost always ugly, and WF was a massive rebuild in 2010-2011 after 6 (Ish, LD, Aminu, Chas, David Weaver and Tony Woods) left the 2009-2010 team, leaving only CJ Harris, Gary Clark and the ephemeral Ari Stewart as the only returning players the next year. Also, the incoming frosh in 2010-2011 (Chennault, Terrell, DeRosiers, McKie) were not ready for ACC level basketball (with the exception of McKie).

WF started 3 freshman that year (and 4th was 6th in minutes); with no size other Carson Desroisers, Ty Walker and Nikita Mescheriakov, WF was among the worst rebounding teams in the nation (#319 in offensive rebounding; #272 in defensive rebounding). With frosh Tony Chennault as the only true PG, WF turned the ball over a ton (#272 in TO%). With a young untalented team, WF was #282 in defense. They may have been better defensively under Dino, but the year still would've been a disaster. WF lost to Stetson (#300), Presby (#254), Winthrop (#221) and UNC-W (#204); as bad as this past season was, WF didn't lose to any team ranked 200 or below. NC State (a non NCAA tourney team, coached by Sidney Lowe) swept WF winning both games by more than 20. The 2010-2011 Deacs would've sucked (hard) whomever coached them.

You think that was all a talent problem? BZ was a disaster as a coach. He was too busy running off players and the players were too busy despising BZ.

That incoming class was ranked considerably higher than the one that is supposed to save Manning. Combine that with a defensive system that works. It would have been a down year by Wake standards but Dino would not have let Stetson sniff a win. Wake would have won most of their games on that soft OOC schedule. The ACC was down as well. There would have been some wins within conference.

There is no way to underestimate how badly BZ screwed up that job in every way. Had Dino remained his record would not have been bad enough to justify his firing but it would have at least been a little bit reasonable.

Back