• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino to Louisville

Myth: In the mid-1920s James Buchanan Duke offered Princeton a fortune if it would change its name to Duke. When Princeton refused, he instead gave the money to Trinity College in North Carolina, which soon changed its name to Duke University.

Fact: There is no evidence to support the claim that Duke ever offered any money to Princeton. The origin of the myth may be that Duke had an estate in nearby Somerville and admired Princeton's architecture enough to insist that the new buildings at Trinity be built in the collegiate Gothic style.

Did you do this research or did you plagiarize it from someplace on the internet ? Link ?

Myth: In the mid-1920s James Buchanan Duke offered Princeton a fortune if it would change its name to Duke. When Princeton refused, he instead gave the money to Trinity College in North Carolina, which soon changed its name to Duke University.

Fact: There is no evidence to support the claim that Duke ever offered any money to Princeton. The origin of the myth may be that Duke had an estate in nearby Somerville and admired Princeton's architecture enough to insist that the new buildings at Trinity be built in the collegiate Gothic style.

Jasper Memory, Wake prof while I was at Wake, told this story in a class and I heard him say, that James Duke came to Wake people to offer money, etc. back in the '20s. Wake said, we don't want that tobacco money and declined. Then in the late '40s when Reynolds came offering, this time Wake said, by all means. Memory was a story teller, so is it accurate? He was convincing it was. Tobacco finally won out.

Last edited:
Jasper Memory, Wake prof while I was at Wake, told this story in a class and I heard him say, that James Duke came to Wake people to offer money, etc. back in the '20s. Wake said, we don't want that tobacco money and declined. Then in the late '40s when Reynolds came offering, this time Wake said, by all means. Memory was a story teller, so is it accurate? He was convincing it was.

RJ's personal research would seem to contradict the words of Professor Memory.

Back in the 1920's, those kinds of conversations were carried out face to face in private homes. Once the answer became "no" both sides would generally deny that the topic was part of their conversation. Memories can get fuzzy later in life, and can both subtract details and add things that never actually happened to conversations when recalled.

Post World War II Wake was a different institution, and the NC Baptist Convention was different than what they both were in the early (pre-depression) 1920's. The Reynolds family was obviously more flexible on the name issue than the Duke family appears to have been.

The people who talked to Jasper Memory about these issues may or may not have had totally accurate memories.

Jasper Memory, Wake prof while I was at Wake, told this story in a class and I heard him say, that James Duke came to Wake people to offer money, etc. back in the '20s. Wake said, we don't want that tobacco money and declined. Then in the late '40s when Reynolds came offering, this time Wake said, by all means. Memory was a story teller, so is it accurate? He was convincing it was. Tobacco finally won out.

Wait. I thought it was Jasper ..... memory lane. Now I find out it’s Jasper Memory ....lane.

that's impressive, since Jimmy Graham didn't even play in that game having used his eligibility up the previous year

believe you're thinking of Reggie Johnson
I also find it very hard to believe we were 15-point favorites in that game since they ended up with a higher kenpom rating than we had

somebody warn the louisville coeds.

Put up or shut up. Provide proof or stop perpetuating lies. Convenient that no one heard anything until ronnie needed to deflect attention from his boy [Redacted].

Put up or shut up. Provide proof or stop perpetuating lies. Convenient that no one heard anything until ronnie needed to deflect attention from his boy [Redacted].
The continued desire for some fans to act as Wellman pawns and drag Dino through the dirt is only eclipsed by the weird obsession some have with trying to paint CP3 as a trash human being.

The continued desire for some fans to act as Wellman pawns and drag Dino through the dirt is only eclipsed by the weird obsession some have with trying to paint CP3 as a trash human being.
I'm curious and can't remember: when did Ron Wellman announce that Dino was hooking it with undergrads? Was it a press conference or on one of the radio shows?

I also find it very hard to believe we were 15-point favorites in that game since they ended up with a higher kenpom rating than we had

My Bad! Apparently my recollection of the game is quite faulty. Wake was a 3x point favorite. It was my last ACC tourney game in person. Dino did better than his successors, but he was not the answer.

The urban legend (and most likely true story) is that Wake Tennis Coach (and guitar maker) Jim Leighton was banging a grad student. She was spectacular. So, he got a pass.

He had one of the wildest teams Wake ever had in any sport. The team consisted of Czech defectors Eddie Prybil and Peter Posipisil, Aussies Jim Haslem and Gary Cooper, 6'7 Jamaican Audley Bell and Floridian Dean Mathias. Great team and non-stop fun.

I'm curious and can't remember: when did Ron Wellman announce that Dino was hooking it with undergrads? Was it a press conference or on one of the radio shows?

Or maybe it was a whisper campaign aimed at the big money people and blue hairs to take the heat off ronnie. Of course some people here suck at ronnie's teat and buy anything he sells. Others are contrarian jack asses just for fun. Like my 5 year old.

Or maybe it was a whisper campaign aimed at the big money people and blue hairs to take the heat off ronnie. Of course some people here suck at ronnie's teat and buy anything he sells. Others are contrarian jack asses just for fun. Like my 5 year old.

Or maybe it was just some bullshit someone made up and spread 'round on the internet. I highly doubt Wellman is behind some malevolent conspiracy. The dude does whatever he wants... He doesn't need to engineer a whisper campaign to justify firing somebody.

Or maybe it was just some bullshit someone made up and spread 'round on the internet. I highly doubt Wellman is behind some malevolent conspiracy. The dude does whatever he wants... He doesn't need to engineer a whisper campaign to justify firing somebody.

I'm not sure you understand how these types of situations work. If you honestly believe Ron Wellman rules as he pleases and is apolitical, I'm sure the sky is a different color in your world.

I'm not sure you understand how these types of situations work. If you honestly believe Ron Wellman rules as he pleases and is apolitical, I'm sure the sky is a different color in your world.

Perhaps you know lots about these "types of situations". Idk. But I've got a somewhat informed idea how wellman operates because I've been in the room and witnessed the ongoing processes that led him to eventually terminate more than one AD employee.

I'm not saying this to defend the dude or how he operates. I'm just pointing out that lots of the things we tend to treat as history on the boards were always apocryphal or downright invented. Amazing how Dino getting this new gig has reignited this debate as yet another excuse to hate on Wellman when we all know firing him was the right call.

Back