• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Atlanta neighborhoods

doubledeac

Reaction score
Moving there in a little over a year - was hoping to get some info from the best source about neighborhoods for a family. Will be working at Emory medical center.

Moving there in a little over a year - was hoping to get some info from the best source about neighborhoods for a family. Will be working at Emory medical center.

Is public school quality a concern?
How long of a commute are you willing to do?
What kind/age/type of house? Historic, not historic, new etc.?

Is public school quality a concern?
How long of a commute are you willing to do?
What kind/age/type of house? Historic, not historic, new etc.?

No concern about schools, young kid. Would prefer to be </= 20 min but will be working at Grady occasionally. Prefer to be closer to North Druid Hills as that's where a majority of the time will be spent. Open to anything with 3+ bedrooms that allows a 50lb dog.

Any help is appreciated as we know nothing about Atlanta.

Decatur, morningside are both good. Remember just because your kid is young now doesn’t mean you want to move into city of Atlanta schools. You’ll need schools soon.

No concern about schools, young kid. Would prefer to be </= 20 min but will be working at Grady occasionally. Prefer to be closer to North Druid Hills as that's where a majority of the time will be spent. Open to anything with 3+ bedrooms that allows a 50lb dog.

Well first of all, it sucks.

This prompts me to ask renting or buying?

Sounds like you are looking for a house to rent. Price range you would prefer to be within?

Emory has a housing referral system. You should check with them as well. CDC has similar.

This prompts me to ask renting or buying?

Sounds like you are looking for a house to rent. Price range you would prefer to be within?

Emory has a housing referral system. You should check with them as well. CDC has similar.

Will be renting. Probably <3.5K/month. I will look into the referral system.

If there's nothing on Lullwater, check this place out.

DSC_0204-e1510722297666.jpg

I live in Brookhaven and like it a lot. But I work in Buckhead, so my commute is less than 10 minutes... That's the main draw. Our neighborhood has improved a lot in the 5+ years since we moved in. Lots of families.

I'm on the other side of I-85 from North Druid Hills, so I can't really speak to your situation. I know people like Virginia Highlands... I have no issues w/ most of what I've seen in North Druid Hills area.

Feel free to PM me if you have some more specific questions, but I think ease of getting to work would be your main priority given that area sucks for traffic.

Some friends of mine did the same thing -- she was working at Emory Hospital and Grady, they had a young kid -- and they found two nice places: first in Decatur, and then in Edgewood/Kirkwood. I visited both and dug both areas and their places in both. She never had a problem with the commute as far as I heard, and my buddy found plenty of stuff to do within short distances of both, though could manage an easier walk (though longish) from Edgewood/Kirkwood - two miles to little five points, two to East Atlanta Village.

Honestly where you live is going to depend greatly on if you are talking Emory main, Emory midtown, Emory St. Joesph, and so on. Most schools kinda suck ITP, hence why the white flight. Additionally I’ll make the assumption that you are talking Emory main and in that case you can pretty much live in a circle encompassing the entire east side of Atlanta split by 400/85-75 merge and have the exact same drive, 10-15 min to Clifton corridor and 20-40 minutes to go 2 miles to your final destination.

Feel free to PM me, would be happy to meet for lunch or a coffee if you're down here. North Decatur possibly? What's your budget?

DD, when you say emory medical center, do you mean the hospital in midtown or the main campus facilities?

Emory Ambulatory Surgery Center at Executive Park and Emory Sports Complex is where most of my time will be spent though Grady occasionally.

Emory Ambulatory Surgery Center at Executive Park and Emory Sports Complex is where most of my time will be spent though Grady occasionally.

Lakeside might be ideal unless you want the in-town experience.

Ok. If you are single and not sure you will stay here forever, maybe just rent a highrise in Midtown. They are pricey, but you could get a nice 2BR or maybe even 3BR within your 3K/mo budget.

The dog may not like the highrise though, especially if he is used to running amok in a yard. Piedmont park is right there though so that may balance out.

If you want a more traditional house or apt then I'd look in Virginia Highland/Morningside(these are connected -- I live in Morningside), or Decatur. If you want to feel like you live in a city, with some walkability, then Virginia Highland and downtown Decatur are your best bets. If you dont care about restos, bars walkability, then I would expand your search to Brookhaven, Druid Hill, N. Decatur etc.

If you want to BM me some links to specific rentals when you get them, I'd be happy to give you a thumbs up or down.

Going to Atlanta this weekend go check out the new Braves stadium with the wife. Just a quick trip - seeing the 4 pm game, get dinner, spend the night and then back to Charlotte Sunday morning.

Wanted to stay at the battery Omni for convenience and accomplish everything but it’s booked. Anyone have any recommendations of places to stay/eat that fit my schedule or are reasonably along the way?

My family lives up in Suwanee - if you want to move that far outside the city, its a nice burbs area with decent schools.

Going to Atlanta this weekend go check out the new Braves stadium with the wife. Just a quick trip - seeing the 4 pm game, get dinner, spend the night and then back to Charlotte Sunday morning.

Wanted to stay at the battery Omni for convenience and accomplish everything but it’s booked. Anyone have any recommendations of places to stay/eat that fit my schedule or are reasonably along the way?

If you're really looking for convenience, any hotel (pick your favorite chain) that references location as Galleria and you'll be close, but maybe not walking distance close. Then just eat at the Battery post-game.

Back