• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jordan Brand Classic - 5PM EST on ESPN2, Jaylen Hoard playing

Very pleased with Jaylen’s all around game. 13 points, close to double digit rebounds, good passer, a number of assists, good defense, and 3 for 3 from the line.

Nice all around floor game by Jaylen! The World wins but the future is Bol Bol a future Duck.

Very impressive game from Hoard. Jerry Meyer had only one tweet about the game - "Jaylen Hoard was a dominant complete player in the 4th quarter."

If Keyshawn was watching he might transfer back to Wake.

This was my first time to see Hoard play. He displayed a well-rounded game. He played very intelligently and was arguably the catalyst when the World team broke game open. The TV commentators didn't comment concerning some very good passes resulting in easy baskets for his teammates down the stretch.

If he stays healthy, he may well be the best player we have from game 1, even if we don't lose anyone to the draft.

Hoard was quietly impressive. His points were in the paint and from the line. Decent rebounder. Moves the ball quickly on offense. He can drive and dish. Most impressed with his interior passing for assists. When Darius Garland was hitting three's for the US team and receiving the announcers praise, Hoard answered for the World team with seven points and two assists.

Doral and Hoard on the boards is going to be filthy. Every time a shot went up Hoard was racing in and putting a hip into someone on a box out. With that wingspan he's going to be a great rebounder.

Doral and Hoard on the boards is going to be filthy. Every time a shot went up Hoard was racing in and putting a hip into someone on a box out. With that wingspan he's going to be a great rebounder.

He ended up with 11 pts and 15 rebs.

Yeah. Hoard at PF can give Doral room to work inside. He can get open and hit a three. He can cut to the basket and get a pass. If Moore puts up a shot, Hoard can hit the glass hard and finish or restart the play. Very happy with him. He'll be the best player on the floor for us easily. I just hope his teammates and coaches rise to his level. Hoard's ability to handle and distribute the ball on the perimeter make it much less necessary to play Crawford and Childress together. Go with Crawford/Brown/Mucius/Hoard/Moore. Emphasize size and defense. Let Crawford and Hoard create on the perimeter. Let Brown and Mucius cut to the basket. With the clock counting down, why have the ball in Childress' hands when it could be in Hoard's?

Uh oh. I almost detect a moment of optimism in PH....come back to the light brother. We have a chance to be very good next year. Just need to get Crawford and Moore to finish what they started.

Last edited:
He looked pretty good. i can't wait to see what new and creative way Manning finds to waste his talent.

Uh oh. I almost detest a moment of optimism in PH....come back to the light brother. We have a chance to be very good next year. Just need to get Crawford and Moore to finish what they started.

Haha great autocorrect...

Most pleasing stat to me was that he led both teams with 7 offensive rebounds out of his 15 total, indicates a really good motor attacking the boards

Uh oh. I almost detest a moment of optimism in PH....come back to the light brother. We have a chance to be very good next year. Just need to get Crawford and Moore to finish what they started.

Hard not to be optimistic about Hoard. He’s very good. But unless Manning improves as a coach, the realistic best case scenario is 19-20 wins and we sneak in the tournament. Then Hoard, Crawford, and Moore leave and people think that justifies giving Manning another two years.

Hoard is so smooooooooth. Really handles the ball for his size and has nice court awareness. And though he is on the thin side, he doesn't appear to be weak. He is still able to rebound among the big guys and seems to be able to finish through contact. If he can show a consistent 10-15 footer, he will be a killer. After watching some of these all-star games, I have a hard time believing he isn't one of the top 10 players coming in next year.

Hoard reminds me of Josh Howard, although he is further along than Josh was when he came to Wake.

He’s like a taller senior year Josh Howard.

I used to call Josh elastic man because he could contort his body and use his long arms to finish around the hoop. Jaylen can do that as well. Of course, Jaylen has better range on his jumper than Josh had at the same stage.

I used to call Josh elastic man because he could contort his body and use his long arms to finish around the hoop. Jaylen can do that as well. Of course, Jaylen has better range on his jumper than Josh had at the same stage.

Stylistically, Hoard is somewhat like JoHo. But Hoard's game is much better than that of frosh JH. Also, Hoard is bigger and taller than JH. It's really hard to tell from the all-star games about Hoard's defense. If he is interested in and able to play it like JH did, he truly will be a nightmare for other teams.

Back