• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

I mean, sure, with everyone back, maybe our freshmen don't play like freshmen, everyone makes the jump we hope they make, the pieces align and we find ourselves in the tournament. But, holy hell, that's a long way from the forgone conclusion some of you pretend it to be now that there's no way for you to be proven wrong.

It's like Moore and Crawford (and everyone else) deciding they no longer wanted to play at Wake has caused some of you to strangely overestimate how good we were last season. Y'all remember that we won 11 games last year and lost to some atrocious teams, right?

Would have been nice to have seen Melo practice. Hoping he’s improved enough to contribute this season. His shooting stroke is my main concern.

Would have been nice to have seen Melo practice. Hoping he’s improved enough to contribute this season. His shooting stroke is my main concern.

I think he could be a defensive asset. I wish he had played more as an disturber on the wing or at the top of a zone.

I mean, sure, with everyone back, maybe our freshmen don't play like freshmen, everyone makes the jump we hope they make, the pieces align and we find ourselves in the tournament. But, holy hell, that's a long way from the forgone conclusion some of you pretend it to be now that there's no way for you to be proven wrong.

It's like Moore and Crawford (and everyone else) deciding they no longer wanted to play at Wake has caused some of you to strangely overestimate how good we were last season. Y'all remember that we won 11 games last year and lost to some atrocious teams, right?

Strangely familiar to the argument that was made last year, except substitute Crawford/Moore with Dinos.

Strangely familiar to the argument that was made last year, except substitute Crawford/Moore with Dinos.

Unfortunately in both cases the outcome of the other scenario is unknowable and will remain speculation. We know how Wake 2017-2018 without Dinos and Collins turned out. We will see how Wake without Moore and Crawford but with the 2018 entering recruits and transfers turns out. We will never know what 2018-2019 Wake with Moore and Crawford would have done.

Hard to gather too much from this video, but I do like seeing Smart shouting instructions from the sideline towards the end of the video. The team is desparate for veteran leadership, and hopefully his experience can provide some needed maturity.

Hard to gather too much from this video, but I do like seeing Smart shouting instructions from the sideline towards the end of the video. The team is desparate for veteran leadership, and hopefully his experience can provide some needed maturity.

I guess the video is supposed to convey intensity, urgency and hard-work. I don't think many on here have ever questioned those attributes. I certainly haven't. I'm sure we sweat as much as the next ACC team.
What concerns me is talent in both player personnel and coaching. A one-minute video doesn't fix those problems.

I guess the video is supposed to convey intensity, urgency and hard-work. I don't think many on here have ever questioned those attributes. I certainly haven't. I'm sure we sweat as much as the next ACC team.
What concerns me is talent in both player personnel and coaching. A one-minute video doesn't fix those problems.

Were there any sock issues?

Man after seeing that defensive drill, I think we may shut some team out! :rolleyes:

I'd like to see these qualities once in a while from our head coach.

I'd like to see these qualities once in a while from our head coach.

Today’s Twitter message from Manning is that ole cliche that we’re going to be a “hard hat team.” I wonder if he’s going to add that we’re going to grab our lunch pails and give 110%.

Maximum effort is a good rallying cry - I certainly don’t want to watch a lazy, listless team - but that’s the bare minimum. He’s being paid to get maximum effort from his guys so it shouldn’t be a remarkable characteristic. It’s what he does with the team’s combination of effort + skill that will ultimately make or break the season.

Today’s Twitter message from Manning is that ole cliche that we’re going to be a “hard hat team.” I wonder if he’s going to add that we’re going to grab our lunch pails and give 110%.

Maximum effort is a good rallying cry - I certainly don’t want to watch a lazy, listless team - but that’s the bare minimum. He’s being paid to get maximum effort from his guys so it shouldn’t be a remarkable characteristic. It’s what he does with the team’s combination of effort + skill that will ultimately make or break the season.

"Hard hat team" is hilarious. That would describe to me a team that work hard on the defensive end of the floor. We haven't played a lick of defense since Manning got here. Save all the "Hard hat team" garbage for the locker room.

"Hard hat team" is hilarious. That would describe to me a team that work hard on the defensive end of the floor. We haven't played a lick of defense since Manning got here. Save all the "Hard hat team" garbage for the locker room.

So sad and so true.

I guess it just took 4 years for Manning to finish the job that [Redacted] started and weed out all of the culture problems, thus the max exodus. After 8 years of improving our culture, we're finally ready, in year 9, to see what a hard working, dedicated bunch of players looks like. Give it another 4-5 years and we might even translate that into a couple tournament wins.

I guess it just took 4 years for Manning to finish the job that [Redacted] started and weed out all of the culture problems, thus the max exodus. After 8 years of improving our culture, we're finally ready, in year 9, to see what a hard working, dedicated bunch of players looks like. Give it another 4-5 years and we might even translate that into a couple tournament wins.

I guess we are left conclude that culture problems are only isolated to the men's basketball program? I've not heard Clawson mention "culture issues" nor socks while managing a staff and team 6-7 times that of Manning. I guess football teams just don't have to deal with such complicated, high-brow matters.

I'm sure a Sunshiner can enlighten us on just why this is the case.

I guess we are left conclude that culture problems are only isolated to the men's basketball program? I've not heard Clawson mention "culture issues" nor socks while managing a staff and team 6-7 times that of Manning. I guess football teams just don't have to deal with such complicated, high-brow matters.

I'm sure a Sunshiner can enlighten us on just why this is the case.

I Hoard it's about those evil one-and-done type players that aren't at Wake to be serious about their academics.

Have not played any real defense since Gaudio. Prior to Gaudio we had to go back to Odom for some defense.

Not exactly Wake's calling card.

Back