• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

I Hoard it's about those evil one-and-done type players that aren't at Wake to be serious about their academics.

LOL. Yes, I suppose you're correct. Maybe we adopt the old Johns Hopkins model where everyone is 5'5", wears horn-rimmed glasses and is in pre-med. I know many in Section 106 would be delighted with this approach.

Today’s Twitter message from Manning is that ole cliche that we’re going to be a “hard hat team.” I wonder if he’s going to add that we’re going to grab our lunch pails and give 110%.

Maximum effort is a good rallying cry - I certainly don’t want to watch a lazy, listless team - but that’s the bare minimum. He’s being paid to get maximum effort from his guys so it shouldn’t be a remarkable characteristic. It’s what he does with the team’s combination of effort + skill that will ultimately make or break the season.
Well, even if we're a hard hat team that brings our lunch pails every day, hangs our (hard) hats on defense, and wears perfect socks, if we don't have some guys who are willing to chop some wood then it'll be deja vu all over again.

More practice video from Les. J.Lewis has a nice stroke!

Opening round is St. Joes. RJK will have scouting report up anon.

I don’t want to judge anyone based on a few iPhone practice videos, but I think I understand why Melo didn’t play much last year. His jump shot is broken. Doesn’t bode well for him getting valuable minutes this year.

Broken is an understatement. That jump shot is UGLY. Lewis, Wright, and Hoard have nice shots though. I remember posting after I went to see Wright in kernersville that even though he wasn’t known for his jump shot, it looked really smooth so there was hope that it would come along. Still looks good to me, even if it is practice.

Manning prefers outsized players who can possibly shoot to players with size who can possibly play D.

I don’t want to judge anyone based on a few iPhone practice videos, but I think I understand why Melo didn’t play much last year. His jump shot is broken. Doesn’t bode well for him getting valuable minutes this year.
Whoa, I hadn't watched the ones Les posted today. My goodness, Melo.

(From Les)

Manning prefers outsized players who can possibly shoot to players with size who can possibly play D.

That seems like a huge oversimplification/generalization.

I feel like he talks about wanting length and athleticism, but then defers to shooting (regardless of size) above any kind of “junk yard dog” kind of players.

I don’t 100% disagree with it, considering I think a lot of D is energy and hustle. But, yeah, his rotations with 3-4 undersized “shooters” aren’t producing wins.

Size shouldn’t be an issue this year. Shooting probably will be.

I imagine we’ll look a lot different this year, even more so than just having different players.

Who’s 33 in that video? Kid can stroke it

Agree with Ayo on Melo. Terrible form. Just ugly.

33 is Blake Buchanan. I did a pretty big story on the walk on back when he committed. Enjoyed talking with him and remember liking the story. Let me know if you need/want the link. I've been told by others who have seen more practice than I that he's been pretty good. It's early tho.

That seems like a huge oversimplification/generalization.

I feel like he talks about wanting length and athleticism, but then defers to shooting (regardless of size) above any kind of “junk yard dog” kind of players.

I don’t 100% disagree with it, considering I think a lot of D is energy and hustle. But, yeah, his rotations with 3-4 undersized “shooters” aren’t producing wins.

Size shouldn’t be an issue this year. Shooting probably will be.

I imagine we’ll look a lot different this year, even more so than just having different players.

How is that different than what I said?

Who is #2?

Sharone Wright Jr. He's shot the lights out both times I've been there. He honestly wasn't known as a prolific shooter in high school, so perhaps this is a small sample size situation. But he's looked great live so far to me.

#2 is S.Wright. He and J.Lewis have both shot pretty well in the 4 videos. Brandon has been the best shooter by far.

Back