• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

So, is there any reason for hope this season? Any reason to think we could move up and finish at least in the top 10 of the league this year? I know the freshman class is supposed to be good, but most predictions have us 2nd to last I think.

Plenty of very good ACC players have played on bad teams. It’s quite possible for Hoard to be a standout player and we still hover around .500 overall.

Plenty of very good ACC players have played on bad teams. It’s quite possible for Hoard to be a standout player and we still hover around .500 overall.

I'd take .500 in league play right now in a heartbeat.

So, is there any reason for hope this season? Any reason to think we could move up and finish at least in the top 10 of the league this year? I know the freshman class is supposed to be good, but most predictions have us 2nd to last I think.

We finished 10th at 9-9 with Collins in what has been held up by certain posters as a success. Obviously, we know less about Hoard now than we knew about Collins then, but I struggle to think that a non top-10 freshman is going to come in and carry a team on his back...it could happen, but doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I don't see us getting there. I think we'll be at 15-17 wins and that's optimistic.

Sure would be nice to be better than the experts predict for once. Man I miss Wake hoops being relevant.

This is the first year where Manning will actually have size and athleticism on the perimeter. If the D sucks this year, there is a real issue. But I think we have a shot to really improve in that area.

Sure. But that hope has to rest far more on Hoard’s supporting cast than on Hoard. If he’s not one of the 20 best freshman in the country then the conversation is a non-starter. Even if he is, we need to see big leaps from Sarr and Brown, better decision making and leadership from Chill, and ACC-level play from at least 3 of Mucius, Johnson, Lewis, Wright, Smart, Eggleston, Wynn, and Sunday.

If all of that happens we could easily be a top 40 team. That’s a lot of ifs though.

We finished 10th at 9-9 with Collins in what has been held up by certain posters as a success. Obviously, we know less about Hoard now than we knew about Collins then, but I struggle to think that a non top-10 freshman is going to come in and carry a team on his back...it could happen, but doesn't seem likely.

We haven’t had a successful season since 2004 (our only one since 1996). All other seasons have been equally miserable. Odom, Skip, Dino, [Redacted], Manning, they’re all the same.

We haven’t had a successful season since 2004 (our only one since 1996). All other seasons have been equally miserable. Odom, Skip, Dino, [Redacted], Manning, they’re all the same.

I would much rather this team go 16-0, be rankied #1 in the country and lose to Cleveland St in the first round than open the season with losses to GA Southern, Liberty, & Drake.

I enjoyed winning the league by two games in the last year of the double round robin (throw some more ice on the floor, Pack fans!) a hell of a lot more than anything over the past 8 years

We haven’t had a successful season since 2004 (our only one since 1996). All other seasons have been equally miserable. Odom, Skip, Dino, [name redacted], Manning, they’re all the same.

You can't hide behind a cherry-picked advanced stat on this one...you just straight up outed yourself as a damn moron.

Last edited:
Lol, coming from the guy didactically preaching nuance all summer. Only 5 and a half more months. Enjoy him, folks!

Looking forward to the post where you rationalize that the rest of us need higher standards because we are willing to accept anything less than the Sweet 16 as a good season...followed up by a post explaining why we don't give Manning enough credit for the amazing run to the First 4!

When I read this statement the word that immediately came to mind was "obtuse", so I looked it up. "Wilfully obtuse" may be a better description.

I thought that RChill post was obvious sarcasm.

That post contradicts his last 7 months of posting.

Back