• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

That post contradicts his last 7 months of posting.

At the risk of sounding self important, I am pretty sure it's an attempt at trolling me into an argument, because RC loves to argue. I said a while back that the purpose of following college basketball is to be able to brag about your team/school and any time you are outside the top 25 or so, you really have nothing to brag about, so some people consider those seasons failures. RC ran the numbers and it looks like there are only a few seasons about of the last 20 that we finished in the top 25. It is totally possible that he is trolling someone else, but I'd assert that it is a pretty good assumption that RC107 is usually trying to start an argument.

I would much rather this team go 16-0, be rankied #1 in the country and lose to Cleveland St in the first round than open the season with losses to GA Southern, Liberty, & Drake.

I enjoyed winning the league by two games in the last year of the double round robin (throw some more ice on the floor, Pack fans!) a hell of a lot more than anything over the past 8 years

You can't hide behind a cherry-picked advanced stat on this one...you just straight up outed yourself as a damn moron.

Lol, coming from the guy didactically preaching nuance all summer. Only 5 and a half more months. Enjoy him, folks!

Looking forward to the post where you rationalize that the rest of us need higher standards because we are willing to accept anything less than the Sweet 16 as a good season...followed up by a post explaining why we don't give Manning enough credit for the amazing run to the First 4!

When I read this statement the word that immediately came to mind was "obtuse", so I looked it up. "Wilfully obtuse" may be a better description.

Caught way more than I thought I would.

Are y’all suggesting I can’t just cherry pick a definition of success and then declare all failures equal or similar?

At the risk of sounding self important, I am pretty sure it's an attempt at trolling me into an argument, because RC loves to argue. I said a while back that the purpose of following college basketball is to be able to brag about your team/school and any time you are outside the top 25 or so, you really have nothing to brag about, so some people consider those seasons failures. RC ran the numbers and it looks like there are only a few seasons about of the last 20 that we finished in the top 25. It is totally possible that he is trolling someone else, but I'd assert that it is a pretty good assumption that RC107 is usually trying to start an argument.

I actually didn’t have you in mind when I posted that since I’m pretty sure you agreed during that discussion that there was still a decent amount of gradation between top 25 and the first couple of years of [Redacted], but maybe I’m misremembering.

The second bold is very accurate.

I enjoyed winning the league by two games in the last year of the double round robin (throw some more ice on the floor, Pack fans!) a hell of a lot more than anything over the past 8 years

Since a run of 4 in 5 during the mid 90s, Wake has finished more than a game above .500 in league play just 3 times in the last 21 seasons, everything else has totally sucked.

Those are also the only seasons since Duncan left where we finished in the top third of the league outright.

Since a run of 4 in 5 during the mid 90s, Wake has finished more than a game above .500 in league play just 3 times in the last 21 seasons, everything else has totally sucked.

Those are also the only seasons since Duncan left where we finished in the top third of the league outright.

hmm, I disagree

losing 19 games in a season - now that totally sucks

and doing so in 3 of 4 years, first the first time in forever? that really, totally sucks

hmm, I disagree

losing 19 games in a season - now that totally sucks

and doing so in 3 of 4 years, first the first time in forever? that really, totally sucks

So #allgamesmatter now? I thought it was just ACC games, or Big 4 games, or postseason games, or “real” postseason games, or something. It’s hard to keep track. Glad to see you are making progress though.

So #allgamesmatter now? I thought it was just ACC games, or Big 4 games, or postseason games, or “real” postseason games, or something. It’s hard to keep track. Glad to see you are making progress though.

why did you think that?
why do you have such trouble keeping track?
why do you think I was in a position in need of making progress?

why did you think that?
why do you have such trouble keeping track?
why do you think I was in a position in need of making progress?

The standards seem to always be changing. But it appears we’ve settled on all the games as the appropriate sample size. So next you’re suggesting we count all wins the same and all losses the same and call it a day?

RChill, there plenty of perfectly good Kavanaugh threads on the Tunnels if just want to pick fights.

Well I’m assuming we’ve agreed that all games is the correct sample size since you cited all 19(+) losses in 3 of the last 4 years.

you really shouldn't assume

I cited one statistic and I do think all three of those years totally sucked

I could have also mentioned the sub-.300 record in ACC games for each of those three years, or the defense never being in the top 100

those data points also offer compelling evidence that those years totally sucked

I could have mentioned buys displaying shitty attitudes on the court with no apparent corrections from the coaching staff; more evidence of things really sucking, totally

If not all losses are equal, how do we measure one 19 loss team against another? Or one 7 loss team against another?

that requires some nuanced analysis

however, we don't have a lot of 19-loss WF teams in our history

I do feel pretty safe in saying a 19-loss WF team (or, to the previous point, a 2-16 WF team in ACC play) competing in the ACC in the 2010's is without question a much worse team than a 25-6 (13-3) WF team competing in the ACC a decade/decade and a half earlier

no need for an in-depth analysis there

Oh my god!!! RChill incorporates strength of schedule into his analysis!!! He's so smart!!! Everyone, look at him!!!

you really shouldn't assume

I cited one statistic and I do think all three of those years totally sucked

I could have also mentioned the sub-.300 record in ACC games for each of those three years, or the defense never being in the top 100

those data points also offer compelling evidence that those years totally sucked

I could have mentioned buys displaying shitty attitudes on the court with no apparent corrections from the coaching staff; more evidence of things really sucking, totally

that requires some nuanced analysis

however, we don't have a lot of 19-loss WF teams in our history

I do feel pretty safe in saying a 19-loss WF team (or, to the previous point, a 2-16 WF team in ACC play) competing in the ACC in the 2010's is without question a much worse team than a 25-6 (13-3) WF team competing in the ACC a decade/decade and a half earlier

no need for an in-depth analysis there

Me too! Welcome to the club. Surely you will join me in saying that a top 40 team with an NCAAT appearance is a much better team than that 19 loss team you just mentioned which was a much much better team than the 8-24, outside the top 250 team that most of the board doesn’t regard as rock bottom for Wake.

Oh my god!!! RChill incorporates strength of schedule into his analysis!!! He's so smart!!! Everyone, look at him!!!

Nothing novel. You all do it too, but just aren’t willing to accept the logical consequences of doing so. I’ve maintained for several years that you all agree with me but can’t calm down long enough to admit it.

Me too! Welcome to the club. Surely you will join me in saying that a top 40 team with an NCAAT appearance is a much better team than that 19 loss team you just mentioned which was a much much better team than the 8-24, outside the top 250 team that most of the board doesn’t regard as rock bottom for Wake.

welcome to the club? I was never not in that club

how are you defining "top 40"?

RChill, there plenty of perfectly good Kavanaugh threads on the Tunnels if just want to pick fights.

Fighting with idiots is boring and the “reasonable” rubes left those threads shortly after the hearings. Plus the real world consequences are way more of a bummer.

Most of y’all aren’t idiots and my potential for schadenfreude is somehow higher when it comes to Wake Basketball.

that 19 loss team you just mentioned which was a much much better team than the 8-24, outside the top 250 team that most of the board doesn’t regard as rock bottom for Wake.

oh and I missed this part

the 19-loss team went 2-16 in the ACC

and 16.

they lost with a little more style than the 8-24 outfit, but they still lost a shit ton of games, including some horrific losses

not willing to state they were "much, much better" than...just about anything

New court in this video. Paint is black and the Deacon head is gone.

Back