• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

They have to EARN the Deacon head at the middle of the court.

helpful

according to whom?

I’m presuming that the top 40 teams in the country can be determined objectively, so it wouldn’t be “according” to anyone.

The 40th best team in the country would lose a majority of its games against 39 teams in the country given a large enough sample size, and would win a majority of its games against everyone else.

We had zero players that could do that in the last 4 years.

My initial thought as well. Isaiah is going to be a competitor, no doubt about that. We've been needing some competitive attitude for a while (not the general attitude of say, a B. Crawford).

Still, my expectations are still incredibly low at this point.

It took five minutes and supports my general overall point re: Manning and [Redacted]. I still have scars inflicted by the sunshine brigade that are reopened by any revisionist history of that era, serious or not.

I like Manning much better than Bz.

But my patience is wearing very thin.

And sucking less is still sucking.

I’m presuming that the top 40 teams in the country can be determined objectively

well, objectively speaking, there were 64 teams with a chance to win the national championship as of the first Thursday morning of the NCAA tournament

WF was not one of those teams

of those 64 teams, 40 were seeded #10 in their region or better

first and third sentences here probably shared by 99% of posters here, yet they must be repeated

It's hard not to like anybody better than Bzzz. Bzzz was a disaster as a coach here and made no attempt to endear himself to the fanbase, bad combination. At this point, I'd be fine with having a coach I don't like (as long as he's not violating NCAA rules), but is successful.

well, objectively speaking, there were 64 teams with a chance to win the national championship as of the first Thursday morning of the NCAA tournament

of those 64 teams, 40 were seeded #10 in their region or better

Wake was ranked* #43 by a committee of athletic administrators who are casual basketball observers at best. That’s about the worst rating you’ll find for them that year. Given a sample size of 350 teams, no human can possibly watch enough games to accurately rate those teams. Predictive models based on box score statistics aren’t perfect, but they are better than subjective rankings based on the eye test of a few people.

*the committee can’t even agree that this is their task.

Wake was ranked* #43 by a committee of athletic administrators who are casual basketball observers at best. That’s about the worst rating you’ll find for them that year. Given a sample size of 350 teams, no human can possibly watch enough games to accurately rate those teams. Predictive models based on box score statistics aren’t perfect, but they are better than subjective rankings based on the eye test of a few people.

*the committee can’t even agree that this is their task.

again - according to whom was WF a "top 40 team"?

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/arch/compare2017-19.htm

and - losing 19 games in 3 of 4 years (or winning less than 30% of ACC games in 3 of 4 years) - is that (please choose one):

A. sucking
B. not sucking

Wake was top 40 acc to Kenpom, which has always been Rchill's go to. Not sure why he's evading that now besides just being a weirdo

Getting to the time of the year where schools are starting to schedule closed scrimmages. Would assume Wake would play one, but haven't heard any news. Anyone have any insight?

I think we can take Maryland this year. Or is it UGA that we usually play?

Either way, I feel pretty strongly that we’ll dominate a closed door scrimmage.

Back