• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

When Brandon can begin to shoot a FG% over 40% I'll take his scouting of shooters seriously.

missed-train.gif

Uh oh, netflixnchildres... I think you missed the Wynn hype train.

Maybe you can catch the "Olivier Sarr put on some weight so now he'll be able to finish and play 30 mpg at the 5" hype train.

WTF is that nonsense? Playing conference games in December is bad enough.

Probably should've put my other post in this thread. New KenPom is out. Here are the ACC rankings:

2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Virginia
8. Syracuse
14. Clemson
15. Florida State
21. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
36. NC State
59. Notre Dame
63. Louisville
66. Boston College
91. Wake Forest
92. Georgia Tech
139. Pitt

Probably should've put my other post in this thread. New KenPom is out. Here are the ACC rankings:

2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Virginia
8. Syracuse
14. Clemson
15. Florida State
21. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
36. NC State
59. Notre Dame
63. Louisville
66. Boston College
91. Wake Forest
92. Georgia Tech
139. Pitt

Order makes sense, given returning players. I think Clemson, Miami, and BC will be worse than that. Have questions about Syracuse, FSU, and Louisville... But they get the benefit of the doubt due to coaching and recent history.

ND could probably be worse with their two big losses, but I think the younger guys and frosh step up.

Order makes sense, given returning players. I think Clemson, Miami, and BC will be worse than that. Have questions about Syracuse, FSU, and Louisville... But they get the benefit of the doubt due to coaching and recent history.

ND could probably be worse with their two big losses, but I think the younger guys and frosh step up.

FSU is definitely overrated. They only have 2 good players. Boston College probably overrated too at #66, I doubt they finish over .500. Maybe they thought that Vin Baker and Chris Herren on BC weren't Jr.'s

The ACC Journal just published their ACC preview. Picked WF to go 2-16 in the ACC; 11-19 overall. Ouch.

FWIW, their predictions are ridiculous, they have UNC going 17-1, UVA and Duke going 16-2, and WF and GT going 2-16 and Pitt going 0-18. Talk about separation between the haves and the have-nots!

Ken Pom projects WF to go 12-16 (only projects the opening game from the Myrtle Beach tourney right now as WF's 2nd and 3rd opponents in that event are presently unknown; assuming a split in those two games is reasonable; so, KP projects a 13-17 regular season record), and a 5-13 in the ACC (tied for 2nd to last ahead of only Pitt).
Got to think that any record between or including the records projected by KP or the ACC Journal would be the end for DM at WF.

Last edited:

2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Virginia
8. Syracuse
14. Clemson
15. Florida State
21. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
36. NC State
59. Notre Dame
63. Louisville
66. Boston College
91. Wake Forest
92. Georgia Tech
139. Pitt

Essentially, coincides with head coach rankings in ACC.

Coincidence?

For some reason, nothing tangible of course, I have a feeling we're going to be better than the experts think. Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to overachieve for a change.

If Danny doesn't roll out a starting lineup of Childress, Brown, Mucius, Hoard and Sarr he is too comfortable. Johnson is not an ACC starter, neither is Wynn despite him shooting the piss out of the ball unguarded in practice.

For some reason, nothing tangible of course, I have a feeling we're going to be better than the experts think. Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to overachieve for a change.

Hard not to be. Danny has been such a disaster that being merely really bad will seem like progress. BZ used that strategy to get 4 years. Will see how long that gets Manning.

Wellman is a sucker for bad bets.

If Danny doesn't roll out a starting lineup of Childress, Brown, Mucius, Hoard and Sarr he is too comfortable. Johnson is not an ACC starter, neither is Wynn despite him shooting the piss out of the ball unguarded in practice.

Well, he cannot welch on his promises to all of his grad transfers. If you want to keep that pipeline, you have to honor the promises to start every game.

According to KenPom, our most-likely to least-likely wins are:

11/10, vs. NC A&T, 98%
11/27, vs. Western Carolina, 96%
11/23, vs. Houston Baptist, 93%
12/6, vs. Charlotte, 93%
12/29, vs. Gardner Webb, 90%
1/2, vs. Cornell, 89%
2/5, vs. Pittsburgh, 73%
12/17, vs. Davidson, 59%
11/15, vs. Saint Joseph's, 53%
1/26, vs. Boston College, 52%
1/30, vs. Louisville, 52%
12/1, at Richmond, 44%
1/15, vs. NC State, 41%
1/5, at Georgia Tech, 38%
2/26, vs. Miami, 33%
3/9, vs. Florida State, 28%
2/19, at Notre Dame, 27%
3/2, vs. Syracuse, 23%
2/24, vs. NC State, 19%
1/8, vs. Duke, 17%
2/16, vs. North Carolina, 17%
1/12, at Miami, 14%
1/19, at Virginia Tech, 14%
2/3, at Clemson, 12%
2/13, at Florida State, 11%
12/22, at Tennessee, 10%
1/22, at Virginia, 8%
3/5, at Duke, 6%

Hard not to be. Danny has been such a disaster that being merely really bad will seem like progress. BZ used that strategy to get 4 years. Will see how long that gets Manning.

Obligatory “we weren’t bad two years ago and last year’s team was within the team of bad teams from the Odom/Skip/Dino era” post.

Bonus obligatory “last year’s team would be favored by 3.5 points over the team that earned [Redacted] a fourth year” post.

Back