• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

CharlotteDeac1

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this anywhere so I just created one for this post.

Tweet came out this morning from Matt Sarzyniak (apparently he does CFB and MBK for some kind of tv - never heard of him) and said UNC may have inadvertently released next season's ACC MBK conference play opponents. It has since been deleted but he Google cached it if anyone wants to take a look.

Here are Wake's supposed opponent for next year:
HOME/AWAY: Duke, NC State, Florida State, Miami
HOME: Boston College, Louisville, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
AWAY: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech

I'll post the tweet separately.

Last edited:
Well, shit, that looks like 18-0 to this guy.*

*prediction subject to change based on roster turnover, potential Tuesday games, and lack of available drugs

I don't see a road conference win on that schedule besides maybe GT.

Yeah Clemson should be good again next year. How is Notre Dame going to be with Colson and Farrell gone? Still have Gibbs and Pfleuger with a top 10 class coming in.

Miami is another possibility. They probably won't be very good next year. Bruce Brown hired an agent yesterday, so he's gone. Walker already went. Huell, like Crawford and Doral, entered the draft but has not hired an agent (yet). But who am I kidding, Wake doesn't do road games.

Had a similar thought. Though I think you could also look at it from the perspective that other than wins @ Duke & UVA having about a zero probability, each of the remaining road games could be winnable (depending on how the rosters shake out). "Winnable" means ~25-33%, imo. We'll pull a few (more than one) of those out.

GT is the worst team we'll play on the road, but we never win in Atlanta. And they'll have Devoe, who will probably destroy us in a Tyrese Rice type scenario.

The good news is the home schedule is pretty "easy"... Could make the argument for 7-2.

Prediction: "too many transfers" and/or "roster is too young" are the top two excuses from the blindly Pro-Manning crowd for why we suck.

Prediction: "too many transfers" and/or "roster is too young" are the top two excuses from the blindly Pro-Manning crowd for why we suck.

I'm semi-pro Manning right now and there are zero excuses for next season. He could take 4 scholarship players into next year and he better make the tourney. If not, he'll lose the rest of the boards who are still somewhat behind him.

I predict "there was no way to assume that _______ freshman would have so under performed his ranking" will be up there as well.

Sounds like we need a poll for most likely expected excuse for next year.

I predict "there was no way to assume that _______ freshman would have so under performed his ranking" will be up there as well.

Sounds like we need a poll for most likely expected excuse for next year.

Who are you guys thinking will be making excuses? Every single poster that's willing to give Manning another shot has gone on record for next year being put up or shut up no matter what. I doubt you and the told ya so squad will be hearing too many excuses on these boards.

Excuses are what comes after “Wait till next year” and “No excuses.”

Who are you guys thinking will be making excuses? Every single poster that's willing to give Manning another shot has gone on record for next year being put up or shut up no matter what. I doubt you and the told ya so squad will be hearing too many excuses on these boards.

Maybe so. What is so magical about that 5th year? Will we get real defense of some sort? Will there be logical substitution patters? Will Manning start playing 2-3 guards at a time? Will late game collapses suddenly end?

I just don't get the logic that a 5th year will somehow fix what was wrong for the previous 4. I would feel a little more hopeful had Manning seemed remotely like a guy who was willing to change when facing repeated failure. This is the guy that started TT every game of the shit show that was last year.

Excuses are what comes after “Wait till next year” and “No excuses.”

I guess there may be less excuses as some of the guys are self imposing posting exiles if Manning fails. Seems like it would be more courageous to stay and face the music.

I'm semi-pro Manning right now and there are zero excuses for next season. He could take 4 scholarship players into next year and he better make the tourney. If not, he'll lose the rest of the boards who are still somewhat behind him.

Yep, this.

I guess there may be less excuses as some of the guys are self imposing posting exiles if Manning fails. Seems like it would be more courageous to stay and face the music.

I'm not going anywhere and will take the full force of the "told ya" that I'll assuredly get if we suck next year.

I will not be making excuses, and I don't particularly think I've been making many (if any) "excuses" to this point. Excuses and reasons aren't the same thing to me, and I went into the Manning tenure with the mindset of giving him five years to turn around the Bzzaster. Next year is it for me, and even if we do perform to standards there are other factors that could cause me to still be incredibly skeptical of Manning (namely our 2019 recruiting class).

Back