• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

What do you mean?

I guess I meant that I am surprised that was the best he could do. It also just seemed like a random destination.

Kind of confirms that he wasn't going to be a contributor at the ACC level. But it is also disappointing because we probably shouldn't have recruited him to begin with.

IIRC, he wasn't viewed as a project coming in... More of an athlete that could help immediately on defense and then improve on offense after a couple of years. I mean, BloggerSoDear even published an article that he could surprise this year. Turns out... Nope.

I guess I meant that I am surprised that was the best he could do. It also just seemed like a random destination.

Kind of confirms that he wasn't going to be a contributor at the ACC level. But it is also disappointing because we probably shouldn't have recruited him to begin with.

IIRC, he wasn't viewed as a project coming in... More of an athlete that could help immediately on defense and then improve on offense after a couple of years. I mean, BloggerSoDear even published an article that he could surprise this year. Turns out... Nope.

Yeah I agree with all this. I thought he might be able to contribute too, was just curious what you meant.

It was the best he could do also because not many schools are in the position to take transfers during the first week of the season. Seems like he was desperate to leave.

It was the best he could do also because not many schools are in the position to take transfers during the first week of the season. Seems like he was desperate to leave.

My impression was that he was finishing the semester academically at Wake, so I doubt he'll be at Arkansas State immediately.

Let's see where some of these other first week transfers end up... My guess is the more talented ones will find a landing spot much better than Arkansas State.

And it isn't like they need an open scholarship right away... As far as I know, Melo is still enrolled at Wake Forest.

My impression was that he was finishing the semester academically at Wake, so I doubt he'll be at Arkansas State immediately.

Obviously. But he would need to join a team without a full roster come January.

Obviously. But he would need to join a team without a full roster come January.

Is that really even an issue w/ the massive number of transfers in college basketball?

The primary reason you would transfer at the beginning of the season is because you see the writing on the wall about your playing time... I guess that means you are desperate to leave, but I don't think it means you have to settle on your next destination.

Let's see what happens to Micah Potter from Ohio State... That's a good example of a player w/ more talent than Melo that should be able to land a spot at a pretty good program. I know RJ isn't a fan, but he seems like a player we could use.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20181105/ohio-state-mens-basketball-days-before-season-micah-potter-says-hes-transferring

They had an exhibition against a team that we played in the regular season last year? Is that allowed?

The proceeds were donated for flood/hurricane relief. Either there is no restriction on who you play in an "exhibition" or there is a charitable exception. Tech played the Gamecocks last year in a similar exhibition. Nothing like having a legitimate test before you start playing games that count.

Can you imagine how easy Arkansas State is going to be academically after three semesters at Wake ?

Can you imagine how easy Arkansas State is going to be academically after three semesters at Wake ?

They require you to learn an Ozark mountain dialect for your foreign language requirement.

3b04e10b5600921201722552c7d16009.gif

How does this work relative to his eligibility?

He’s only used one year at Wake, and if he joins a new program in January (without using any eligibility at Wake this fall) does that mean he’ll play his final game in December? Or would he only get 3.5 years of eligibility (plus the transfer year he’ll sit out).

How does this work relative to his eligibility?

He’s only used one year at Wake, and if he joins a new program in January (without using any eligibility at Wake this fall) does that mean he’ll play his final game in December? Or would he only get 3.5 years of eligibility (plus the transfer year he’ll sit out).

You can be eligible one year from the date you enroll at the new school.

So this transfer overall will cost him a semester of playing time. His five year eligibility window began in fall 2017 and ends in spring 2022. He chose not to play while enrolled at Wake this fall. He will sit for one year at his new school and then be eligible to play in games. Looks like that will be late December of 2019 or January 2020.

So this transfer overall will cost him a semester of playing time. His five year eligibility window began in fall 2017 and ends in spring 2022. He chose not to play while enrolled at Wake this fall. He will sit for one year at his new school and then be eligible to play in games. Looks like that will be late December of 2019 or January 2020.

Which is why the timing is odd w/ these early season transfers. Why not just play out the semester? At the very least, you still get to practice against D1 competition.

I can't find a list yet, but I can think of at least 3 P5 players that announced a transfer within the last few weeks:
Melo
Micah Potter (OSU)
Anthony Oliver (Clemson)

I am sure there are more.

MB tournament is a sellout. How are people getting tickets?

StubHub has $25 best way for session 1 might be to get on Session 2 team boards for first day then buy from losers of game 2 after we beat St Joes. Rotelli is nice Italian restaurant in strip center just across 501 from Horry Tech bldg close to campus.

StubHub has $25 best way for session 1 might be to get on Session 2 team boards for first day then buy from losers of game 2 after we beat St Joes. Rotelli is nice Italian restaurant in strip center just across 501 from Horry Tech bldg close to campus.

Thanks!!

How many WF fans are making the trip? Maybe we could get a group up for drinks at Rotelli’s.

Back