• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comey Interview on 20/20: "Left people in the room stunned"

He’s definitely honest. But he’s also not that bright. He presents himself as a man who had tough decisions but they weren’t that tough. If he just released a brief statement about declining to bring charges against Hillary and waited to see if the Weiner emails were anything new, nobody would have questioned his decision making. He grossly overstepped to appeal to partisan hysteria about Hillary. Treat it like any other investigation and he’s no big deal.

Congressional Republicans wouldn't let him treat it like any other investigation. If they'd found out he was investigating something new on Hillary and hadn't told them, it would be Benghazi 2.0. 3.0?

Congressional Republicans wouldn't let him treat it like any other investigation. If they'd found out he was investigating something new on Hillary and hadn't told them, it would be Benghazi 2.0. 3.0?

But would they have found out? It wasn't something new and that investigation was over in about a week. Either way, it's not the job of the FBI to appease lunatics who don't respect the process.

Friend of mine is doing a local radio interview about Comey. She had this great line: "Comey is a polarizing figure. Everybody hates Comey, but they use him for their own political purposes." She called him a "communications dumpster fire."

i thought we all agreed that the timeline either shattered when Trump won or we just got the shitty ending thanks to some poor choices during the prologue

i thought we all agreed that the timeline either shattered when Trump won or we just got the shitty ending thanks to some poor choices during the prologue

Comey would be the absolute worst Choose Your Own Adventure book reader.

no we're living in a deleted scene and the timeline is going to revert back to the DVD menu in 2018

I think Comey was in some unenviable positions due to the increased political polarization but also believe that he made some poor choices.

As some of already mentioned - by not going rogue and giving a press conference about the server issues and then by simply waiting a few days to determine if the "new" emails revealed anything of substance not many people would question him.

I think he's an honest guy who just made some mistakes. I also believe that he was entrenched in his views that Clinton was going to win so he wanted to be sure that in hindsight the Donald supporters/campaign/alt-right would not be able to latch on to any inaction on his part which would indicate that he handed Clinton the election in partisan fashion. Of course, the irony is that the opposite happened and he essentially handed Donald the election.

Tough positions to be in but he handled them poorly. He definitely comes across as more earnest and intelligent than Donald but that's an extremely low bar. Comey puts his own views on too high of a pedestal as far as his beliefs go that he has some heightened ability to tap into what he thinks are objectively correct morals. Definitely has a savior complex where he views everyone else as driven by partisan motives and he alone is the individual who is able to save us from ourselves. In that regard he and Donald share some narcissistic traits - Comey just comes across as much more self-aware about it than Donald. Donald would never even come close to admitting that he might have made errors.

Last edited:
Probably.

Wasn't the news broken when his memo to the committee leaked?

Yeah. If he hadn't written a memo, nothing would have leaked.

I think Comey was in some unenviable positions due to the increased political polarization but also believe that he made some poor choices.

As some of already mentioned - by not going rogue and giving a press conference about the server issues and then by simply waiting a few days to determine if the "new" emails revealed anything of substance not many people would question him.

I think he's an honest guy who just made some mistakes. I also believe that he was entrenched in his views that Clinton was going to win so he wanted to be sure that in hindsight the Donald supporters/campaign/alt-right would not be able to latch on to any inaction on his part which would indicate that he handed Clinton the election in partisan fashion. Of course, the irony is that the opposite happened and he essentially handed Donald the election.

Tough positions to be in but he handled them poorly. He definitely comes across as more earnest and intelligent than Donald but that's an extremely low bar. Comey puts his own views on too high of a pedestal as far as his beliefs go that he has some heightened ability to tap into what he thinks are objectively correct morals. Definitely has a savior complex where he views everyone else as driven by partisan motives and he alone is the individual who is able to save us from ourselves. In that regard he and Donald share some narcissistic traits - Comey just comes across as much more self-aware about it than Donald. Donald would never even come close to admitting that he might have made errors.

This is a good post. The irony is that Comey views himself as nonpartisan, but he is highly influenced by partisan objectives. He thought he could act because Hillary was up in the polls. He felt he need to protect himself from the partisans. Nonpartisan is all about staying the course and not worrying about the partisan implications.

If Loretta Lynch doesn't meet with Bill Clinton on that tarmac - Comey is never in a position to give that press conference. He still had an option to release a basic statement declining prosecution, and he deserves criticism for not doing that. But the AG should have just recused herself and the Deputy AG, or whatever other appropriate party, could make the statements on behalf of the DOJ about whether to prosecute Clinton.

Maybe it's in the book - I certainly won't read it - but it wouldn't surprise me if Comey released a statement re: the Weiner emails given how leaky the pro-Trump element was at the FBI. He may have assumed that leaks were inevitable and preferred the statement to come from himself.

But I agree with sentiments above; he buckled under the pressure and gave into partisan concerns when the job required that he do it in a non-partisan way knowing that criticism would come regardless of what he decided. And given the stakes, he was rightfully shit-canned for the wrong reasons.

Good points about leaks from pro-Trump folks in the FBI. All the more reason to go over those emails quickly over the weekend.

This is a good point regardless of how you feel about Comey's interview. The normalizing of Trump threatening jail time against political foes and private citizens is incredibly dangerous to our judicial and constitutional norms.

Comey on Trump tweet suggesting he could face jail: ‘This is not normal. This is not OK’

James Comey said in a new interview that while most Americans shrugged off a tweet in which President Trump suggested the former FBI director suggesting he faces jail time, the president threatening a private citizen is "not normal."

In an interview with NPR, Comey warned Americans of what he says is the danger of letting Trump's more outlandish actions become normalized.

"President Trump, I don't follow him on Twitter but I get to see his tweets tweeted, I don't know how many, but some tweets this past couple of days that I should be in jail," Comey says. "The president of the United States just said that a private citizen should be jailed."

"I think the reaction of most of us was, 'meh, that's another one of those things.' This is not normal. This is not OK," Comey added.

Comey went on to say there is a "danger" to democracy in America if voters don't respond to Trump's "threats to the rule of law."

"There's a danger that we will become numb to it, and we will stop noticing the threats to our norms. The threats to the rule of law and the threats most of all to the truth," Comey said.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...eet-suggesting-he-could-face-jail-this-is-not

Of course Trump’s words are alarming and reckless.

How 35-40 percent of our population can not see this is really, really sad.

Thanks to Comey for striving to point these things out.

I presume he'll donate the proceeds of his book sale to some democracy preservation cause of some sort

Hillary could make quite a last career for herself leading the Clinton Foundation to clean up Republican messes.

Clinton foundation still gets good ratings. whataboutism - Tump foundation closed yet after they had been found fraudulently calling themselves a charity as well as money being used for personal spending by Trump. in other words - fuck off with your bull shit sailor. you are still a rube.

why the fuck should Comey donate any of his money from the book? capitalism bitches!!!

Back