• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's OK to be a fair weather fan

The cornerstone of the statement shows a complete ignorance of how sports in America work. The basis of his statement is "London, by contrast, has more than a dozen professional soccer clubs". This could never work in a US city in any sport.

The cornerstone of the statement shows a complete ignorance of how sports in America work. The basis of his statement is "London, by contrast, has more than a dozen professional soccer clubs". This could never work in a US city in any sport.

Fair. But it also shows a complete ignorance about how London's soccer clubs work. So I guess this dude is just wrong all around.

Some of their "pro" teams are basically our rec leagues.

I said nothing like that. There you go assuming things.

He said "more than a DOZEN teams". I seriously doubt London has "more than a dozen teams" in the first three divisions. They likely have teams in much lower leagues like the one the famous fat guy from the videos plays in.

Perfect response from you. You don't respond to the post. . You can't dispute the points he makes. so you make it about him.

Perfect!

Predictable!

He seems to be describing a bandwagon fan more than a fair-weather fan.

Yes. One has to be a fair weather fan of Wake Forest in order to retain his sanity. Tuning out the Buzz and Manning years has probably added years to my lifespan. I apply this policy to all my sports teams and it has served me well over the years. I didn't abandon my fandom for any of them. I just ceased giving a shit unless they were good.

RJ really is going off the deep end these days. Just completely wrong about everything, including being aware of the things he just said.

Might be a good time to ban him for his own good. Will the mods do anything to protect RJ from himself ? Of course not.

He seems to be describing a bandwagon fan more than a fair-weather fan.

Yeah, but his uncle in NY is probably a fair-weather fan. As a kid who grew up idolizing Don Mattingly, I remember how much the Yankees sucked in the early 90s. Seems like his uncle only introduced him after Jeter came along.

I was still a big baseball fan in the 90s. Great times. Braves were great. Yankees sucked. Red Sox hadn’t grown too big for their britches. Lots of all time great talents at their primes. *cough* PEDs *cough*

I was still a big baseball fan in the 90s. Great times. Braves were great. Yankees sucked. Red Sox hadn’t grown too big for their britches. Lots of all time great talents at their primes. *cough* PEDs *cough*

636316183593256469-AP-RIPKEN-HALL-OF-FAME-BASEBALL-16617999.JPG

I said nothing like that. There you go assuming things.

He said "more than a DOZEN teams". I seriously doubt London has "more than a dozen teams" in the first three divisions. They likely have teams in much lower leagues like the one the famous fat guy from the videos plays in.

Lol, RJ, I was responding to *exactly* what you said: "some of their 'pro' teams are basically our rec leagues." You're right that there are not more than a dozen London teams in the top three divisions, though I think top three divisions was my original concession to you -- because there are way more than twelve legitimately professional teams in London.

Now, in the top three division, there are exactly eleven London teams, and this number will change in the next two weeks if it hasn't already. The last of these clubs listed on Wikipedia has a stadium the same size as Groves. Not exactly "famous fat guy" stuff.

I was simply responding to the author's statement. I would expect that a publication as august as The Atlantic would fact check. I even mentioned the article. The numbers weren't mine.

It's not very school marmish to say that I was saying top three divisions in my first post as I didn't. Then, you doubled down on it. You don't have the right to infer what I post when I don't say what you need me to say so that you can "correct" me.

I don't drink much juice. My two favorites are pineapple and cranberry.

it is kind of strange that we spend the rest of our lives cheering for college kids who happen to spend a couple of years at the same school that we did. I'm not saying we should stop - i'm just saying it's strange.

cheering, obsessing, donating to, swearing at, agonizing over, fighting over, buying airplane banners and designing red on brown charts for

It's not very school marmish to say that I was saying top three divisions in my first post as I didn't. Then, you doubled down on it. You don't have the right to infer what I post when I don't say what you need me to say so that you can "correct" me.

Jesus, RJ, your level of reading comprehension is embarrassing. *I* said top three divisions. *i* said that. I never claimed you said it. Then i pointed out that *i* said it as a concession to you because it would make your point against the author stronger (because there are in fact a hell of a lot more than a dozen professional teams in London).

You're impossible. I don't know why i even try to have a conversation with you. We were in agreement about the author's dumbass analogy and then you managed to fuck it up. Nice

I'm "impossible" but you said the following- "Huh? You think second or third division English soccer teams are like rec leagues? Yeah, that's pretty far off."

But you'll dance around the fact that you said it, not me. You'll act arrogant and come up with an excuse.

I'm "impossible" but you said the following- "Huh? You think second or third division English soccer teams are like rec leagues? Yeah, that's pretty far off."

But you'll dance around the fact that you said it, not me. You'll act arrogant and come up with an excuse.

Huh, you think second or third division English soccer teams are like rec leagues?

Back