• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's OK to be a fair weather fan

I was still a big baseball fan in the 90s. Great times. Braves were great. Yankees sucked. Red Sox hadn’t grown too big for their britches. Lots of all time great talents at their primes. *cough* PEDs *cough*

Wait what?

I have long opposed cities building/rebuilding stadiums for billionaire owners. That's only a small part of the article.

Worked out fine here in ATL because Arthur Blank actually walks the walk and intends on lots more investment in the surrounding downtown area. He's already poured additional millions into rehabbing the shitty neighborhood landscape in the nearby "Bluffs" with community reinvestment and improvement projects. And y'all are paying the "public" portion when you come visit us with a additional city hotel/motel tax. So thank you!

But yeah, plenty of examples of this kind of short-sighted boondoggle city and county politicians can't seem to resist. Exhibit A: see Cobb County and the new Braves stadium. Oy.

Huh, you think second or third division English soccer teams are like rec leagues?

No, I never said that. You are changing my post again.

There are other levels of teams. But you will only focus on what YOU said not what I said. Then, you blame me for your actions. That's what's "impossible".

No, I never said that. You are changing my post again.

There are other levels of teams. But you will only focus on what YOU said not what I said. Then, you blame me for your actions. That's what's "impossible".
Ok, rj, let's settle this once and for all. Hopefully between my lunch break and afternoon meeting.

Give me your official, unspinable, unchangeable opinions on the following:

1) how many London professional soccer teams are there?

2) which London professional soccer teams are more like rec leagues (with fatty pie-eating goalies) and which are comparable to major/minor League American sports franchises). If your cutoff is not the third tier, as it was for me, what is it?

yeah but they're basically rec league teams at the bottom levels, they just have an incorporated system of promotion.

i mean, youth baseball is kind of the same in the US

Even Levels 5-11 have a shot at the FA Cup:

"Teams competing in the National League System have to squint to see the Premier League above them, but membership here still matters — a lot. Teams in this section of the pyramid are the last eligible to compete in the FA Cup — a prestigious knockout tournament and the oldest football tournament played. Think March Madness — Premiership teams compete alongside teams many rungs beneath them, and a single loss sends them home. As in basketball, this creates fairy-tale possibilities — giant-killing, and Cinderella runs.3 (However, the defending champions of the FA Cup are the elite Arsenal squad.)"

It's not just three levels. Plus, I never said it was. That was invented by 09. When confronted by this fact, he again deflected his responsibility for doing so.

You managed to answer neither of my questions. I'll prepare you a template:

1) how many London professional soccer teams are there?

2) which London professional soccer teams are more like rec leagues (with fatty pie-eating goalies) and which are comparable to major/minor League American sports franchises). If your cutoff is not the third tier, as it was for me, what is it?

RJ's template:

There are ____ professional soccer teams in London.

____ of these teams are comparable to major/minor league american sports franchises. I, RJ, draw that line at the ____ tier of the English professional soccer pyramid.

The time period the author talks about in the article when the Yankees sucked in the early 90s.

"This was the mid-1990s, an auspicious time to be hypnotized by pinstripes. Led by a telegenic talent who shared my first name, the team achieved dynastic dominance before the end of the decade."

Right before the Yankees starting winning a bunch more World Series. Yes they weren't great in early 90s, but he is using them as the example of being a bandwagon fan in that he jumped on board right as they were beginning a dominant stretch

You managed to answer neither of my questions. I'll prepare you a template:

RJ's template:

There are ____ professional soccer teams in London.

____ of these teams are comparable to major/minor league american sports franchises. I, RJ, draw that line at the ____ tier of the English professional soccer pyramid.

YOU created the artificial concept of up to Tier 3, not me.

FUCK YOU for being such a condescending asshole!

Let me now to your superiority. After all that is your goal here.

giphy.gif

Lol, I just wrote out a hilarious post pointing out that the "three division" distinction was mine and not yours and I pointed out how I said that explicitly half a dozen times. Then I found this post. It was​ actually you. lololol

He said "more than a DOZEN teams". I seriously doubt London has "more than a dozen teams" in the first three divisions. They likely have teams in much lower leagues like the one the famous fat guy from the videos plays in.

Let you now what to my superiority?

Let me "genulflect"...wanted to see if you were paying attention as I did on multiple posts about two weeks ago.

I am big-hearted and want you to feel that you have a purpose.

But "bow" is fine...

At least with "genulfect" I know what you are saying, even if you can't manage to spell it correctly. I don't mind spelling mistakes, generally.

Back