• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's OK to be a fair weather fan

love that the column is written by a guy from one of the most privileged fan-bases in sports

The guy has no clue what being a fan is. He also has no clue about the reality of sports marketing in the U.S. It's a column for people who neither understand what teams are or how pro sports work in America.

I don't have a problem if people want to do this and be happy for whoever they are rooting for, but don't talk shit to me like you've earned that right

it does seem like being a super-fan is a little less interesting in an era where players move around so frequently and teams have less of a personality, with some execeptions

He seems to be describing a bandwagon fan more than a fair-weather fan.

I can't imagine a more millennial treatise. I want everything NOW! The instant you ever say "no", I'll run away from you! You MUST give me everything I want! All I care about is ME!

I can't imagine a more millennial treatise. I want everything NOW! The instant you ever say "no", I'll run away from you! You MUST give me everything I want! All I care about is ME!

That sounds familiar... oh yes, that's what billionaire owners of sports franchises say when they want taxpayers to build new stadiums.

Lol, as soon as I saw the title, I knew the Rickster would be in here giving his diatribe on millennials.

I have long opposed cities building/rebuilding stadiums for billionaire owners. That's only a small part of the article.

i dunno, i agree with him for the most part (though it does have a millennial stench). watching sports became more fun now that i'm less invested. i can turn on basically any event and get into it just by rooting for the underdog and enjoying the athleticism. literally have zero stakes in the NFL but really enjoy the super bowl every year

but "sports' in general is less fun because I don't know as much about what's going on in the leagues

When you are a Wake grad from the late 70's, you realize from being there for 4 years with only 10 football wins that it is going to be tough sledding. We did happen to get to the ACC Tourney finals in 1978 & also to the Elite 8 in 1977 in basketball so that was spectacular. We also won a huge ACC baseball title in 1977 with only 5 schollies--we had a great mix of football players like Ziggy & Healy to go along with Gerrity batting .390 to lead the ACC in hitting, Pacer at SS and some awesome pitching. A great run with Jesse Haddock in golf with BtoB national titles in 74-75 & another in 1986. We learn to treasure our good years that come & go. Odom years of bball in the mid-90's with 2 ACC titles, Skip years with JHo & CP3 & the 3 great Dino years with over 60 wins. The great 3 year run of Jim Grobe in football from 2006-2008 with 3 straight bowls! George Greer and his 600+ baseball wins and 3 ACC titles in 4 years from 1998-2001. Coach Walter's Super Regional run last year, taking national champ Florida to 3 games.

We are a small private school of 5000 students and we highly value academics first. We just have to learn to value our great years when we get them. Like what Coach Clawson has now got building in football. 2 straight bowl wins and the upcoming 9-3 regular season in 2018.

Go Deacs!

You can easily respect teams other than your favorites and enjoy watching them.

He has so many problems in his position. It's totally disingenuous to throw bones of indisputable facts (like pro sports leagues are cartels -the NFL may be the least capitalistic "business" for individual owners of any business in the US) to hide his total bullshit (dozens of pro teams in London).

I would sooner stop watching sports altogether than root for the Yankees, Pats, Cowboys, Lakers, Celtics, Duke, Carolina, whoever is winning championships at the time, etc., etc.

Yeah - tough to take an article seriously from someone who doesn't know the difference.

Bandwagon: Being a fan of a team you have no connection with, just because they are good.

Fair-weather Fan: Only paying attention to the team you have a connection with when they are good.

I agree that what he describes is a bandwagoner. Root for a team that is doing well. Root for somebody else that is doing well when the first team you picked is not doing well.

Fairweather fan I would define as someone who roots for a team when it is doing well, but just doesn't care, or puts rooting efforts into a different sport, when the team is not doing well, but then comes back as an ardent fan when the same team's fortunes are on the upswing.

London, by contrast, has more than a dozen professional soccer clubs that move up and down through various leagues; as such, none are viewed as civically essential, and local governments tend not to subsidize their stadiums.

Stopped reading after this.

Back