• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore Hiring an Agent, Entering NBA Draft

Sad to see him go and wish him well.

The one thing I remember from this year and Doral was an announcer (I think mike Gminiksi) at one game basically said Doral was great when he was within 3 feet of the hoop and shooting "downwards". He said it like 10 times. He'd dunk and the G Man would say "see, shooting down" and when he'd miss a 5 footer, the Gman would yell "he shouldnt shoot any shot with an arc". Memories.

Lets not pretend 35k is a lot of money. You can make that delivering pizzas (or so it said on my papa johns box). That will qualify you for Medicaid if you have a family. Lots of non-athletes think college is hard and can’t wait to get out—than they get smacked by the real world. I think the “offense” people have is the apparent lack of perspective.

This, except I don’t think anyone is really offended (maybe someone is, not me). I am personally frustrated because he is doing what has been done so many times before, and in the vast majority of cases we know the outcome. WFU basketball is secondary to me in this scenario. It will go on with or without Doral Moore. It just really frustrates me to see someone make a poor life choice, especially one with such huge consequences for his career earnings. This was a big one for Doral.

He basically just put all his chips on one number at the roulette table. Hope he hits. Odds say he won’t.

Have heard a lot of comments about him not being around this semester, which means he has only completed 2 1/2 years plus potentially some classes in the summers. Might be optimistic to think that he is all that close to graduating. Also difficult as a student athlete to take full load. Wish Doral the best.

I think we're overstating the difficulty of the course curriculum track Doral and Craw are likely on...doubtful that they are taking Intermediate Accounting, Quantum Physics or Biochemistry etc. Likely Speech Comm or maybe a Health Sports Science major. They likely knocked out their "hardest" pre-reqs with summer school with visiting profs from other local colleges when Wake profs take vacay. I managed to breeze thru summer sesh 1 with an A in Intermediate thanks to a visiting prof from NC A&T and then Dean Wilkerson crushed our souls in sesh 2 with CPA practice exams as tests. Oy.

Doubtful Doral and the gang are taking such soul-crushing course work in the summer. However, junior year is usually when you're in the thick of your major so not good if Doral blew off classes this semester. But we shall see. I still think he'll get drafted late in the 2nd by a GM with extra picks and a low risk need for a back up C with upside. He can learn how to shoot a 12 footer in the G-League.

This. It’s really not that crazy.

It wasn’t a surprise that he decided to test the waters (he’s a junior) and, while not what I would have done as a college junior, it makes sense that he would keep his name in if he doesn’t want to come back. Also, it’s not like he’s an elite NBA prospect with another year of college under his belt.

He’s probably pretty close to graduating and even $35k - which is basically the basement for him - is a lot more than most of my friends and I made our first year out of college. A lot of y’all were in law school, med school, etc. piling up debt into your mid-to-late 20s.

I just don’t understand how this move is so offensive to some.

Well said. Here's your answer:

Lets not pretend 35k is a lot of money. You can make that delivering pizzas (or so it said on my papa johns box). That will qualify you for Medicaid if you have a family. Lots of non-athletes think college is hard and can’t wait to get out—than they get smacked by the real world. I think the “offense” people have is the apparent lack of perspective.

The privilege displayed here, and elsewhere on this thread, is eye-opening. To scoff at $35k just because it's not a lot of money to you speaks volumes. You realize that the median household income for black families in the US is $35k, right? The median certainly increases with those that have at least a bachelor's degree, but the point stands. And as others have said, $35k is the absolute basement for Moore.

I don't know a thing about his family or him - they could be loaded for all I know and he's just an immature kid who made a rash decision. Or maybe not. Per your point, lots of non-athletes think college is hard and leave to go get a job (or don't bother going in the first place) and live perfectly happy lives without armchair quarterbacks trashing them on some anonymous messageboard.

/rant

The privilege displayed here, and elsewhere on this thread, is eye-opening. To scoff at $35k just because it's not a lot of money to you speaks volumes. You realize that the median household income for black families in the US is $35k, right? The median certainly increases with those that have at least a bachelor's degree, but the point stands. And as others have said, $35k is the absolute basement for Moore.

I don't know a thing about his family or him - they could be loaded for all I know and he's just an immature kid who made a rash decision. Or maybe not. Per your point, lots of non-athletes think college is hard and leave to go get a job (or don't bother going in the first place) and live perfectly happy lives without armchair quarterbacks trashing them on some anonymous messageboard.

/rant

dude, shut up. He comes from a military family. He's not starving to make $35k.

This, except I don’t think anyone is really offended (maybe someone is, not me). I am personally frustrated because he is doing what has been done so many times before, and in the vast majority of cases we know the outcome. WFU basketball is secondary to me in this scenario. It will go on with or without Doral Moore. It just really frustrates me to see someone make a poor life choice, especially one with such huge consequences for his career earnings. This was a big one for Doral.

He basically just put all his chips on one number at the roulette table. Hope he hits. Odds say he won’t.

I feel like everyone keeps ignoring (whitewashing?) the other side of the equation. He has two options: 1. Take a long shot at the pros, likely end up in g-league or Europe and get professional instruction, little bit of cash and see where he is in a year. 2. Return to a shitty wake team, go 15-15 again, maybe get benched in crunch time or pipped by Hoard and have no chance at going pro. Everyone keeps ignoring what door #2 looks like. He’s not coming back to a potential national title contender or even a tournament team. He made a lot of progress this year, his stock is on the upside and i think (and appreantly he agrees) that returning to wake brings a lot of risk and does not improve his odds at making a professional career.

/rant

This post is mis-guided. We're not talking about the average black family here, we are talking about a young man who has access to a Wake Forest degree for free. And we are not just talking about his initial opportunity to make $35k or whatever, we are talking about his long-term prospects - his life, in other words. Of course all kinds of people don't go to college at all and get along just fine. So what? The question is what gives him the best chance for long-term success - (i) staying at Wake Forest one more year to complete his free education and leave with a diploma from a respected university - all while spending another year honing his craft of choice under the tutelage of professional coaches and trainers, or (ii) leaving now with no degree and, by all accounts, no chance of being drafted and long odds of reaching the highest levels of his sport?

Basically it is just a question of lacking the maturity and patience to wait another year to chase that dream - another year that would provide him that degree to fall back on.

I feel like everyone keeps ignoring (whitewashing?) the other side of the equation. He has two options: 1. Take a long shot at the pros, likely end up in g-league or Europe and get professional instruction, little bit of cash and see where he is in a year. 2. Return to a shitty wake team, go 15-15 again, maybe get benched in crunch time or pipped by Hoard and have no chance at going pro. Everyone keeps ignoring what door #2 looks like. He’s not coming back to a potential national title contender or even a tournament team. He made a lot of progress this year, his stock is on the upside and i think (and appreantly he agrees) that returning to wake brings a lot of risk and does not improve his odds at making a professional career.

I think Door #2 would have looked more like Doral continuing to improve his game on a much better Wake Forest basketball team. And even if Wake Forest sucked (again), how is that any different that this year? How would that hurt him? And how do you hurt your draft stock if you are already projected to not be drafted?

Door #1 would still have been available after next year. And he'd have a degree.

Doral and his family have made moronic decisions in two of the three biggest ones about his basketball future. The first was to go to Monteverde and not even start his senior year in HS. They had Ben Simmons and the instant they started talking to Noah Dickerson, Doral should have known his minutes were going to be minimized. What was even worse was that Doral was ranked higher on ESPN than Dickerson as juniors. Whether most here like it or not, his one good decision was to come to Wake. Anyone who doesn't see his massive improvement over the past three years is a combination of willfully blind and totally ignorant. The other bad choice is to go pro now. He would have been dominant next year. More importantly, there is an abundance of post players coming out this year who are more ready than Doral.

The draft next year is supposed to be real weak. By staying a year, improving his offensive game, and improving his stamina, he potentially could have slipped into the late 1st round. I'd be shocked if his name is called on draft night this year.

/rant

I thought the same thing when I read this. 35 g's is the starting salary for teachers in NC. Some posters are so far removed what life is actually like for the vast majority of people in the country that it is astounding.

I feel like the people who are the most angry on this thread are those who tricked themselves into thinking this wasn’t possible and spent the last few weeks mocking those of us who thought it was likely.

We went through denial, anger, bargaining, and depression over the last few weeks and making it official brought us to acceptance. They’re at anger.

The draft next year is supposed to be real weak. By staying a year, improving his offensive game, and improving his stamina, he potentially could have slipped into the late 1st round. I'd be shocked if his name is called on draft night this year.

Exactly what I have been saying. BINGO!!!

I feel like the people who are the most angry on this thread are those who tricked themselves into thinking this wasn’t possible and spent the last few weeks mocking those of us who thought it was likely.

We went through denial, anger, bargaining, and depression over the last few weeks and making it official brought us to acceptance. They’re at anger.

Not that you were referring to me, but I'm not angry... I'm just surprised and think he made a bad decision. I wish him the best of luck, but I think Wrangor is 100% correct in his comments.

I was disappointed when Collins left, but not at all surprised... As was discussed ad nauseam last year, it was kind of a no brainer given his draft projections. This is different. I think Doral is setting himself up for failure (more important) AND weakening the Wake Forest roster for next season (less important).

Doral replied to a number of comments on Twitter last night... He seems to genuinely appreciate the Wake Forest fans and says he'll be back to graduate. I don't think he hates Wake or Manning, I just think he has it in his head that he's ready to play pro ball.

Yeah, Doral's comments to fans and publicly thanking Manning for the development, do not gel with certain poster's theory that Doral is trying to get the hell away from the program.

I think this is as simple as he thinks he has a pro future now. I, along with others, think that is a poor decision.

Very true. For record, I don't actually want Doral to fail--I hope he is correct, gets drafted, and kills it in NBA and life in general. Why posting on message boards can be a problem. Seems like a nice kid. It will be a great story of someone who believed in themselves against apparent odds and made it happen.

Back