• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore Hiring an Agent, Entering NBA Draft

Well, moving on, in order for us to be better next year, let's add up the tangibles:

1. We need Sarr to be better than Moore. It's not crazy to think he could make the leap, and he will certainly be different, but the odds of him giving us Moore's production are slim to none. Having Sarr at Center instead of Moore will definitely open up the floor and allow our substantially more athletic team to slash more.

2. We need Crawford to A: Come back and B: Play better. I still have faith. At the very least, I don't think he'll get worse.

3. We need Hoard or whoever we bring in to play 4 to be better than TT. That should be easy.

4. We need Chaundee to progress. Given that I have faith Manning can push Sarr to the next level, Chaundee's progression becomes the most important. Unfortunately, Manning has not shown any ability to do this.

5. We need our bench to be better. Not likely given that (aside from Chill, assuming he's 6th man) it will be loaded with unproven tweeners and freshmen.

6. We need better defense. We lose our shot blocker, but given how much man to man we play, our more flexible team could improve.

Our only hope is that a team without Moore opens up the floor for the style Manning has been going for all along. I don't think it's a coincidence that our best offense had a super athletic center that could at least stretch to 15 feet.

Last edited:
Strick is snidely stating that Danny hasn't tried to dissuade Doral with good info.

Nah, in Strick's world, Danny doesn't know anyone and would likely give a player he was counting on bad data to harm both the team and the play.

Got it!

To me, the real sign that guys have no attachment/love for Manning is Woods' exit.

That's a guy that wants to leave, clearly. For no other reason than to leave. It' a pain in the ass for him to switch programs and risk playing time, etc. Right there's a guy that wants to either flat get away from manning or has absolutely zero allegiance to him/the program. At least with Moore it comes across as though he has (in his mind) some incentive for leaving.

Last edited:
Anyone know or have heard whether Crawford is on campus and taking classes?

It is weird that between the two of them Moore chose to declare first. His game is not even close to being there yet, Crawford could probably make decent money playing overseas. Doral seems like an NBA pipe-dream or bust kinda guy.

nobody needs slow footed seven footers in the nba anymore

Well, moving on, in order for us to be better next year, let's add up the tangibles:

1. We need Sarr to be better than Moore. It's not crazy to think he could make the leap, and he will certainly be different, but the odds of him giving us Moore's production are slim to none. Having Sarr at Center instead of Moore will definitely open up the floor and allow our substantially more athletic team to slash more.

2. We need Crawford to A: Come back and B: Play better. I still have faith. At the very least, I don't think he'll get worse.

3. We need Hoard or whoever we bring in to play 4 to be better than TT. That should be easy.

4. We need Chaundee to progress. Given that I have faith Manning can push Sarr to the next level, Chaundee's progression becomes the most important. Unfortunately, Manning has not shown any ability to do this.

5. We need our bench to be better. Not likely given that (aside from Chill, assuming he's 6th man) it will be loaded with unproven tweeners and freshmen.

6. We need better defense. We lose our shot blocker, but given how much man to man we play, our more flexible team could improve.

Our only hope is that a team without Moore opens up the floor for the style Manning has been going for all along. I don't think it's a coincidence that our best offense had a super athletic center that could at least stretch to 15 feet.

This. Manning kept pushing Moore 15+ from the basket more often than not, at least now we'll have someone out there who can set a screen without getting on offensive foul call....me hopes. (Moore was better this year about that, but still)

Again, wish Moore the best. He's a good guy, but just trying to look ahead and see the positive.

He is a really bad data collector then. If by some crazy chance he has the goal of making money in his lifetime and maximizing his nba basketball opportunity then his poor data collecting abilities also led to a poor decision.

based on your criteria while simultaneously having no idea what his criteria are

makes perfect sense

If having a 7'1 giant isn't a part of Manning's style then why did he also recruit SJM, Lorng, and now this kid from Buffalo? Slow giants seem to be very much a part of Manning's success strategy.

If having a 7'1 giant isn't a part of Manning's style then why did he also recruit SJM, Lorng, and now this kid from Buffalo? Slow giants seem to be very much a part of Manning's success strategy.

That's a fair point. I think it has more to do with fast, athletic big men being tough to come by when you're stuck in the cellar than him getting the player he wants. We may never know what type of player SJM was going to be, and Lorng was most likely us scrambling for bodies. I haven't been able to watch the Buffalo guy yet, and know nothing about him, but he's probably just a desperation grab as well. It's pretty obvious that Manning is taking the best talent he can get, which can be ok for rebuilding a program, but he isn't good at adjusting to that talent. He keeps cramming square players into round, strategic holes.

Last edited:
Is there any objective post-hoc measurement on whether he made a good decision? To me playing 50 games in turkey and making a $100k is >>>>> then going 15-15 at Wake but i guess we’ll never know what would have happened had he stayed.

Would he have gotten better if he stayed? Sure probably. I guess my point is that he made a really big leap this year and people will project further growth and improvement based on that trajectory. If he went back to wake and that growth/improvement didn’t happen (or got overshadowed by a shitty team) he would be less attractive for NBA/Gleague/eurobasket whatever.

Is there any objective post-hoc measurement on whether he made a good decision? To me playing 50 games in turkey and making a $100k is >>>>> then going 15-15 at Wake but i guess we’ll never know what would have happened had he stayed.

Would he have gotten better if he stayed? Sure probably. I guess my point is that he made a really big leap this year and people will project further growth and improvement based on that trajectory. If he went back to wake and that growth/improvement didn’t happen (or got overshadowed by a shitty team) he would be less attractive for NBA/Gleague/eurobasket whatever.

We were fated to portend.

That's a fair point. I think it has more to do with fast, athletic big men being tough to come by when you're stuck in the cellar than him getting the player he wants. We may never know what type of player SJM was going to be, and Lorng was most likely us scrambling for bodies. I haven't been able to watch the Buffalo guy yet, and know nothing about him, but he's probably just a desperation grab as well. It's pretty obvious that Manning is taking the best talent he can get, which can be ok for rebuilding a program, but he isn't good at adjusting to that talent. He keeps cramming square players into round, strategic holes.

Yeah. He tries to play small ball with a traditional lineup instead of recruiting a small ball lineup and playing a small ball style.

Seeing as none of us - Wrangor included - know what’s motivating Doral and his decision, meh...

If he makes a bad decision, then he’s an adult and will be accountable for his decision. Ideally, this decision was made in collaboration with our experienced staff and the people who have Doral’s best interests at heart. If it wasn’t, then that’s a bad sign (among many others) for our program.

That's my point. He's NOT an adult, he's a kid. Anybody who's watched him play college basketball knows he's not ready to succeed as a pro in any country on the planet. If our "experienced staff" told him it was a good idea to forego his college education for the pros I'd be very disappointed. As far as others "who have his best interests at heart" I can't speak about them but I would hope they tried to discourage him leaving early without his degree in hand, and instead use the next year to mature, get his degree, and improve his game and pro prospects.

There are those in his ear who may not have Doral's best interest uppermost. They may be telling him to "get paid now." No matter how much or how little.

If only he had coaches who were familiar with professional basketball careers...

Oh.

Well then.

I highly doubt that Manning advised him to hire an agent and turn pro. Obviously we don’t know one way or another, but not only would it be dumb advice, it would be completely against his own interests.

I highly doubt that Manning advised him to hire an agent and turn pro. Obviously we don’t know one way or another, but not only would it be dumb advice, it would be completely against his own interests.

Particularly not this early in the process. I would guess he was OK with Doral testing the waters but probably expected an evaluation that was "not getting drafted" here's what you need to work on, and then expected him back in school.

This assumes Manning actually has a plan/strategy for the program. I don’t think he does...the program is an absolute disaster. The worst part is that the administration just stands by and let’s it happen. Manning should have been fired right after the ACC tournament. Our team could be as bad as Bob Wade’s Maryland teams. Thank God Pitt is in the ACC.

Back