• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore Hiring an Agent, Entering NBA Draft

Obviously. Easing any rational person's concerns would include winning games and showing post-season success. After four years floundering around on the sidelines without a damn clue as to what he's doing, you would think that would somehow start to occur if only by chance. I predict we finish 13th next year.

Pretty optimistic. Who would be 14?

There is no way he’s coming back to finish a degree.

No. Way.

You know who comes back for a degree? NBA millionaires. You know who doesn’t come back? European thousandaires. Wake is too expensive and too difficult without the basketball support system for most players to return unless they are extremely wealthy or unless the basketball program is very motivated to help hem succeed.

A guy like John Collins could/will get all the help he wants if he decides to come back for summer classes because he is going to be a major plus for the university. Doral getting his degree or not is meaningless to MSD at this point, so they aren’t going to bend over backwards to help, and highly doubt Doral is going to be willing to spend $70k+ to return and attempt to pass senior level courses with no basketball support staff.

Among other reasons, this is the primary point of sadness in his ‘poor data collection’ process (otherwise known as decision making). When he is a PE teacher in his mid 40’s he will regret not finishing his degree. It’s important that athletes use their sport to gain a step up in society. Instead Doral is going to be used by the game of basketball and tossed aside when his height is no longer enough to make up for his basketball shortcomings.

Doral wrote on his twitter account that he'd be back to graduate. He also responded to a ton of random comments and said a lot of nice things about Winston-Salem and the fans.

I think he's making a mistake but damn some of these arguments are ridiculous. He's not lazy, he's not dumb, he's not a bad Deacon, he doesn't hate Manning or his teammates, etc. Some of his comments make it clear he knows he's taking a risk but believes in his abilities.

There's absolutely no guarantee Doral will make decent money next year playing basketball. He could easily go undrafted, get cut after a few weeks in the G-league, and find himself looking at 3rd tier foreign leagues that pay almost nothing. But if what he really wants to do is work his ass off playing basketball and nothing else, you don't see the G-League releasing many young 7 footers even if they're bad. So it'd be all basketball against to players and nothing else. At the same time, there churn players like crazy from a bunch of sources, and there are guys like Damian Jones there. Dude won an NBA championship with the Warriors as a rookie and can't get back. He's making bank as an affiliate but Doral isn't likely to get near that money, so he's a lot more likely to barely cover cost of living.

If that's what he's game for, more power to him. Bus rides, 500 person crowds, a carrousel of teammates, constant angst about getting waived... That's a tough road. Maybe he thinks it's unlikely he'll improve as much if he stays in school, so why not get started now instead of risking an injury. Who knows. He could be getting accurate advice and just wants to go anyway. If he starts tweeting about how great it'll be to hear his name called in the first round of the draft that's a different story...

Last edited:
There are not a ton of players with his size or lift or hands. He will get a shot in the league. But he needs more than dunks to prosper. I wish him well; however, apart from suffering a serious injury, he would be better off with another year of experience and coaching at the collegiate level IMO.

No, you're exactly right: there's no way that our fanbase is not fucking miserable next year. Or ever.

I honestly think the majority of people that post here are good fans. And at some point it’s more than fair to demand results, especially when the people in charge of those results are being paid a lot of money to make it happen. If that makes me or anyone else a bad fan, so be it. Just stating an opinion. I think our B-Ball team is going to struggle mightily next year. I also think Manning has lost this team and has no idea what he’s doing on the sidelines in the heat of battle. Hope I’m wrong, though.

Doral wrote on his twitter account that he'd be back to graduate. He also responded to a ton of random comments and said a lot of nice things about Winston-Salem and the fans.

I think he's making a mistake but damn some of these arguments are ridiculous. He's not lazy, he's not dumb, he's not a bad Deacon, he doesn't hate Manning or his teammates, etc. Some of his comments make it clear he knows he's taking a risk but believes in his abilities.

There's absolutely no guarantee Doral will make decent money next year playing basketball. He could easily go undrafted, get cut after a few weeks in the G-league, and find himself looking at 3rd tier foreign leagues that pay almost nothing. But if what he really wants to do is work his ass off playing basketball and nothing else, you don't see the G-League releasing many young 7 footers even if they're bad. So it'd be all basketball against to players and nothing else. At the same time, there churn players like crazy from a bunch of sources, and there are guys like Damian Jones there. Dude won an NBA championship with the Warriors as a rookie and can't get back. He's making bank as an affiliate but Doral isn't likely to get near that money, so he's a lot more likely to barely cover cost of living.

If that's what he's game for, more power to him. Bus rides, 500 person crowds, a carrousel of teammates, constant angst about getting waived... That's a tough road. Maybe he thinks it's unlikely he'll improve as much if he stays in school, so why not get started now instead of risking an injury. Who knows. He could be getting accurate advice and just wants to go anyway. If he starts tweeting about how great it'll be to hear his name called in the first round of the draft that's a different story...

Very fair post. I will still be shocked to see him graduate from Wake if he is more than a couple of classes away. But hopefully he is very close to graduation and can make it happen very easily in a summer or two. That would be awesome for him. I would hate to see him fail to achieve that goal.

I honestly think the majority of people that post here are good fans. And at some point it’s more than fair to demand results, especially when the people in charge of those results are being paid a lot of money to make it happen. If that makes me or anyone else a bad fan, so be it. Just stating an opinion. I think our B-Ball team is going to struggle mightily next year. I also think Manning has lost this team and has no idea what he’s doing on the sidelines in the heat of battle. Hope I’m wrong, though.

There is a major difference in this post (reasonable and legitimate take) and most of the negative posts that are made. It’s almost as though some posters take pleasure in causing as much pain to themselves as possible. Debbie Downer ain’t got nothing on them.

There is nothing unfair, wrong, or miserable about this post. It makes sense, and I agree with much of what you've written here (though I'm not sure Manning has lost the team or that he's got no idea what he's doing). But you've got to admit that we are collectively miserable as a fanbase. People like Racer and knowell literally can't make a post without some doom and gloom pronouncement. You're much of the time the same way. It's miserable to read and it serves no purpose but to make everybody more miserable. I read the sports boards for news and I realize it's not always going to be good. I don't read it to listen to some moron noobs who know nothing about sports rant and rave about how terrible the world is as if they're watching some different tragedy unfold than the rest of us. We get it. We suck.

Like bkf before you (all), it wouldn't be difficult to write a simple bot to replace your entire contributions to our community.

There is nothing unfair, wrong, or miserable about this post. It makes sense, and I agree with much of what you've written here (though I'm not sure Manning has lost the team or that he's got no idea what he's doing). But you've got to admit that we are collectively miserable as a fanbase. People like Racer and knowell literally can't make a post without some doom and gloom pronouncement. You're much of the time the same way. It's miserable to read and it serves no purpose but to make everybody more miserable. I read the sports boards for news and I realize it's not always going to be good. I don't read it to listen to some moron noobs who know nothing about sports rant and rave about how terrible the world is as if they're watching some different tragedy unfold than the rest of us. We get it. We suck.

Like bkf before you (all), it wouldn't be difficult to write a simple bot to replace your entire contributions to our community.

well maybe we should stop sucking

You know who comes back for a degree? NBA millionaires. You know who doesn’t come back? European thousandaires. Wake is too expensive and too difficult without the basketball support system for most players to return unless they are extremely wealthy or unless the basketball program is very motivated to help hem succeed.

A guy like John Collins could/will get all the help he wants if he decides to come back for summer classes because he is going to be a major plus for the university. Doral getting his degree or not is meaningless to MSD at this point, so they aren’t going to bend over backwards to help, and highly doubt Doral is going to be willing to spend $70k+ to return and attempt to pass senior level courses with no basketball support staff.

Among other reasons, this is the primary point of sadness in his ‘poor data collection’ process (otherwise known as decision making). When he is a PE teacher in his mid 40’s he will regret not finishing his degree. It’s important that athletes use their sport to gain a step up in society. Instead Doral is going to be used by the game of basketball and tossed aside when his height is no longer enough to make up for his basketball shortcomings.

First off, how is he going to be a PE teacher without a degree? Secondly, so being a PE and coach to you is somehow not a worthwhile life? Third, Fuck you, you elitist prick. Was that too harsh?

Since we've beat the topic of whether or not this was a good decision to death, maybe it is time to move on to NBA Draft Projections to see where Doral may end up.

Ran through all of the updates I could find online and Doral still isn't listed in any mock drafts or on any Top 100 potential draftee lists.

Anyone find anything where Doral Moore shows up? Any updates on what he'll be up to over the next couple of months before the draft?

I'm sure Doral's oft spoken about conditioning issues are going to serve him well in the NBA.

They guy couldn't run down the court twice without an oxygen mask.

There is a major difference in this post (reasonable and legitimate take) and most of the negative posts that are made. It’s almost as though some posters take pleasure in causing as much pain to themselves as possible. Debbie Downer ain’t got nothing on them.

talk about consistency

lecturing people about being Debbie Downer while simultaneously lamenting the fact that Doral will be a PE teacher in his mid forties is not a good look

perhaps you need to look inward

Since we've beat the topic of whether or not this was a good decision to death, maybe it is time to move on to NBA Draft Projections to see where Doral may end up.

Ran through all of the updates I could find online and Doral still isn't listed in any mock drafts or on any Top 100 potential draftee lists.

Anyone find anything where Doral Moore shows up? Any updates on what he'll be up to over the next couple of months before the draft?

The thing to look for will be does he work out for the Sixers. If he does maybe they take him with the 60th pick.

Some fair points, although a little harsh to say any person's contributions could be easily replaced. I totally disagree with virtually everything that RChil and CharlotteDeac say, but listen to it any way. It provides perspective even if I don't necessarily enjoy reading it.

In any event, winning solves a lot of problems. Anyone posting here supports Wake more than your average fan does, and I'll readily admit I forget that at times. And if recently I've been doom and gloom (I also readily admit that, but historically that's not been the case) it's pretty simple. It pisses me off that we have fallen so far from where we were (and where we probably should be) and the people responsible for making decisions haven't shown any proof or initiative in wanting to change that. Looking back, it's inconceivable that our AD hired a head coach that only had two years of experience in that position. He doubled down after the failed Bzz experiment and hired an unproven head coach prior to Bzz. The BOT, Hatch, the major donors, etc...should have stepped in and stepped up after botched hire #2. Instead, nearly five seasons later into what seems like another failed experiment, it's business as usual. IMHO, a lot can be forgiven save for maybe inaction. RW has clearly made a lot of mistakes, but there's comes a point where we collectively have to demand better. And the facts aren't doom and gloom. The facts are that we are in a really bad place with our flagship sports program. Whether we like it or not, that is a fact. Some people are willing to accept that and shrug it off with 'we get it...we suck' and some people are understandably upset and bitch and moan about it. I'm not sure which one is worse to be honest.

Of note, ESPN does not have Doral as a top 150 player available, but they do put Crawford at #102.

Back