• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore Hiring an Agent, Entering NBA Draft

It wouldn’t surprise me, to be honest with you. The earlier you keep your name in, the more exposure that you have to teams that’ll be drafting later (and who are playing through the exit date).

For those of y’all who are saying that this is a horrible decision:

1) he started for a team that went 11-20 and doesn’t appear to have much of a shot at being a whole lot better. Basketball should be fun and this year didn’t look fun.

2) if he regresses as a senior (which could happen on a team with even less established guard play), then he’s a year older and has nothing to build on. This might be as good as it gets developmentally for him.

3) he’s likely close to graduating. It won’t be hard to finish his degree.

All this.

Wait is Manning talking about process, or are we talking about The Process?

Manning will have to play his "preferred" type of player because that is all that is left. Assuming Crawford follows Moore, the starters at Wake now look like:
BChill
Chaundee
Mucius
Hoard
Sarr

Reserves: Melo, Lewis, Wright, Okeke, Lorng

What an awful decision. One of those rare choices that negatively effects everyone involved. Moore damages his career earnings, and Wake loses a legitimate big man that it invested 3 years into.

Moore would have actually had an outside shot of being drafted next year if he put in a great year. He has zero chance of being drafted this year. He is D-League or Turkey bound.

It always baffles me when people make legitimately stupid decisions. One of the reasons I am glad to not be coaching anymore. Having ones livelihood depend on the decision making ability of a 20 year old kid is pretty stressful.

Sucks for us, sucks for him (he just doesn’t realize it yet).

100% Right.....I'm always frustrated when young kids in sports make these kinds of decisions. The history of professional sports is littered with the carcasses of kids like Doral Moore who never, ever make any career because of the poor timing and lack of understanding of the consequences of their decision. It's also frustrating when casual observers like us on this board will acknowledge or give a tacit blessing to a kid who does this because "he's tired of school", or "doesn't get along with the coach" or is "ready to get a paycheck". These are the thoughts of people who value "correctness" over good judgement. Life will very likely not be kind to Doral because that's the way it really is. If this works out for him, bless him, 'cause he's just plain lucky. As far as Wake basketball goes, next year will come no matter what with the players still here so whining about it now is a waste of energy.

Manning will have to play his "preferred" type of player because that is all that is left. Assuming Crawford follows Moore, the starters at Wake now look like:
BChill
Chaundee
Mucius
Hoard
Sarr

Still a good chance it looks like:
Crawford
Dixon
Brown
Hoard
Sarr

Reserves: Mucius, Chill, Sunday & Melo

I wish the decision were different, but in truth, I think it makes us a better team. That is on no way a slight toward Doral, but we would have spent all year next year trying to feed the ball to Doral. He is just not a player who you are going to ride to the NCAA tournament. He is a role player. We did the same thing with Devin Thomas in Collins’ freshman year. Hope he gets his degree. More than 10% of all true seven foot tall persons are in the NBA, so while he probably won’t be in the league, he will be making money somewhere. I imagine that he is looking more at Dinos than at JC.

100% Right.....I'm always frustrated when young kids in sports make these kinds of decisions. The history of professional sports is littered with the carcasses of kids like Doral Moore who never, ever make any career because of the poor timing and lack of understanding of the consequences of their decision. It's also frustrating when casual observers like us on this board will acknowledge or give a tacit blessing to a kid who does this because "he's tired of school", or "doesn't get along with the coach" or is "ready to get a paycheck". These are the thoughts of people who value "correctness" over good judgement. Life will very likely not be kind to Doral because that's the way it really is. If this works out for him, bless him, 'cause he's just plain lucky. As far as Wake basketball goes, next year will come no matter what with the players still here so whining about it now is a waste of energy.

Seeing as none of us - Wrangor included - know what’s motivating Doral and his decision, meh...

If he makes a bad decision, then he’s an adult and will be accountable for his decision. Ideally, this decision was made in collaboration with our experienced staff and the people who have Doral’s best interests at heart. If it wasn’t, then that’s a bad sign (among many others) for our program.

BChill
Chaundee
Mucius
Hoard
Sarr

Could someone please provide an updated minutes projection?:rolleyes:

How many players have we graduated over the last 10 years? With Moore gone, that mean that we will have 1 senior (at most) next year, and 1 the year after that.

Doral hiring an agent is like a coach signing a 2 star player. On its face, it's a bad decision. But hey, maybe Doral finds a team and it works out - but like a 2 star the odds aren't great. What's the absolute ceiling for him in this draft? Late 2nd round? He's not going in front of guys like McCoy or Wagner I wouldn't think, so he's looking to beat out Bitadze or someone like that as the last center in the picks 50-60? And even if that happens it's even less likely that he'd make a roster so it's the D-League for him as a best-case scenario.

In the last 6 drafts, 30% of all players drafted in the 2nd round never play a minute in the NBA. You don't get a guaranteed contract.

It's not ridiculous at all to be surprised by this move, because it's objectively a low percentage decision and virtually guarantees a tough road with little pay. At least for a while.

Who knows what we'll hear about eventually - if anything. Maybe someone has his ear and he thinks he can slide into the first round. Hell if I know, maybe he can. Maybe he hates Manning. Maybe he's sick of Wake or college in general. Maybe it's players he dislikes that are staying or players he liked that are leaving.

But what seems incredibly unlikely is that he loves Wake, his teammates and the staff, is getting solid advice from outside and inside the program, and is making the best decision possible. Either something is up or like every draft board is completely wrong.

It’s not ridiculous to be surprised but it was ridiculous to mock people who said it was possible and a negative sign.

Would be a good time to look for a new coach. Pretty obvious that we are building nothing and the longer this goes on, the more likely that the next coach will inherit and even weaker lineup.

Today would be a good day to do what we all know will have to be done soon anyway.

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I hope he fails. I've rooted for each and every Wake player who left early, but I can't root for stupidity.

It’s not ridiculous to be surprised but it was ridiculous to mock people who said it was possible and a negative sign.

Not that I remember a lot of posts mocking comments that Doral staying in the draft was "possible" - but many of the victims are posting "I told you so, why would anyone be surprised" junk now, basically reveling in the bad news, so I'm not shedding any tears for them.

There are already posters writing I told you so's about Crawford even though he's not officially gone yet... Ugly times around here, but hey that's what losing gets you.

And who knows if it's a "negative sign" or not. Maybe Doral's been convinced by teams or family/friends that he's a guaranteed first rounder and he feels like he can't pass it up. I mean, reading his twitter feed - he's personally responded to a bunch of the well-wishers and it's all "have a great time playing in the NBA next year we were lucky to have you" stuff. Seems pretty genuine about loving Wake and the fans.

Guess I'll pay attention to the draft now...

Seeing as none of us - Wrangor included - know what’s motivating Doral and his decision, meh...

If he makes a bad decision, then he’s an adult and will be accountable for his decision. Ideally, this decision was made in collaboration with our experienced staff and the people who have Doral’s best interests at heart. If it wasn’t, then that’s a bad sign (among many others) for our program.

I never commented on motivation. Everyone else has done that. My point is merely that it is a poor decision and that there is no winner in this scenario. He will go overseas or G-League and Wake will be a worse team.

This is a layup when it comes to knowing how it will go down.

Not sure how compelling the "Doral can't stand Manning" argument is. Considering what Doral Moore looked like as a sophomore - if he believes he's getting drafted one season later it's hard to imagine a situation where he wouldn't be appreciative of whatever coaching helped get him there.

I guess it could be a "I don't care what happens in the draft, I'm getting the hell out" scenario but that would be pretty hard to believe.

Back