• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NBA Draft Thread - No Deacons Drafted

Hawks would still need multiple above average NBA players to make a decent run at a playoff spot, even in the east.

A 19 win improvement would be the 17th best turnaround in NBA history by win percentage.

Hawks aren’t making the playoffs nor do they want t make the playoffs imo. They need another draft and then a good free agency off season. They are 1-2 years away from making a push.

I hope they don’t end up with Bagley.

Draft Doncic and give him and Collins all the playing time, expect some rookie and second year struggles resulting in one more high draft pick next year. Then maybe they're onto something.

The Hawks need to rid themselves of terrible contracts of Bazemore, Schroeder and Plumlee as they tank again this year.

Hawks aren’t making the playoffs nor do they want t make the playoffs imo. They need another draft and then a good free agency off season. They are 1-2 years away from making a push.

I hope they don’t end up with Bagley.

They have the 19, 30, and 34 picks as well. They just need to hit on those and/or make a good trade. They don’t need another draft.

They have the 19, 30, and 34 picks as well. They just need to hit on those and/or make a good trade. They don’t need another draft.

Is this serious? The Hawks went 24-58. Worst record in the Eastern Conference which also included the Nets, Magic, Bulls and Nets all of whom were trying to lose. So, the Hawks were the worst of really bad lot, and you don't think the Hawks are at least two drafts (this year and next) from being a playoff team? What NBA are you watching? It took the 76ers years of lottery drafts to become relevant again. The Magic are still not relevant. Even if the Hawks hit a home run with the #3 pick (and get a steal with one of their other picks), they are still at least one draft away from being relevant again, and that is being optimistic.

I love John Collins, and he will be a solid pro for a decade, but the Hawks are not even close to being today's draft and a good trade away from being a relevant team again.

A 19 win improvement would be the 17th best turnaround in NBA history by win percentage.

giphy%20(2).gif

Hawks would still need multiple above average NBA players to make a decent run at a playoff spot, even in the east.

True. The Hawks have the worst SG depth in the NBA other than say, Dallas?

Just bad:
Tyler Dorsey
Kent Bazemore
Antonius Cleveland
Jaylen Morris

Snagging Doncic gives them this:
PG -- Schroder
PG/SG --*Doncic
SF -- Taurean Prince
PF -- Collins
C -- Dedmon says he's coming back; but not a very good starter imo; backup is more like it for Dwayne

So, who knows if that group can stay healthy and win. Bench in ATL is just god-awful, so yeah, they need several guys.

Still would need another draft. Best case is taking Doncic at three and then using those picks to trade up for Trae Young* (who the Hawks apparently like) and hope he doesn’t suck. Get rid of Schroeder and shoot for another lottery pick.

A core of Doncic, Collins, Young, and Prince is probably another Young lottery pick away and 3 years away from being competitive in the east. And that’s counting on Doncic plus one of Collins or Young being an All-NBA caliber player.

*I’m not that high on Young but think he has the most upside of any non-Doncic PG in the draft. The Steph comparisons seem to way underestimate Steph’s work ethic. Maybe Trae has that, but my first impression is that he doesn’t.

I’m up for fun and some charity. I’ll make a $20 donation to World Relief Triad on behalf of all the posters who agree to make a $10 donation on my behalf if the Hawks do make the playoffs. I’ll add the condition that Collins and Luka have to play 60 games for the Hawks next season.

For more information, see this thread:
World Refugee Day
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=29961&share_type=t

I assume TUA is in. Pilch can’t turn down a good bet so he’s in. Anyone else?

I’m up for fun and some charity. I’ll make a $20 donation to World Relief Triad on behalf of all the posters who agree to make a $10 donation on my behalf if the Hawks do make the playoffs. I’ll add the condition that Collins and Luka have to play 60 games for the Hawks next season.

For more information, see this thread:
World Refugee Day
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=29961&share_type=t

I assume TUA is in. Pilch can’t turn down a good bet so he’s in. Anyone else?

I'm in, but the bet is not contingent on the Hawks drafting Luka. The bet is still on regardless of whether the Hawks draft Luka, someone else or if the Hawks trade down (or trade up and take someone else) or if some other team trades up with Sacramento. Making the NBA playoffs, even in the East, is not that easy; particularly when starting from 24 wins (unless you have situation like when David Robinson sat out the season before the Spurs drafted Duncan).

Ok. My statement that you disagreed with was about the Hawks drafting Luka. That was the whole point.

Never thought a white basketball player would be the thing ph finally gets defeated by.

Ok. My statement that you disagreed with was about the Hawks drafting Luka. That was the whole point.

So you are going to short the refugees of the world based upon whether the Hawks take Luka?

I'm in on the bet, too.

Ph is off his damn rocker on this one.

So you are going to short the refugees of the world based upon whether the Hawks take Luka?

I already made a donation. I’ll probably make more and I encourage you to do the same. I don’t think the Hawks will make the playoffs if they draft one of the top bigs so why would I bet on it?

Back