• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NBA Draft Thread - No Deacons Drafted

2018 NBA Draft Thread - Will Moore or Crawford get drafted? Find out Thursday night!

This is a huge reason why I sort of really like the Sixers/Suns trade from the Sixers' trade. Zhaire Smith vs. Mikal Bridges? Who the eff knows. And who the eff knows whether the Sixers will have any meaningful PT to offer either player in 2018-19 given who they are supposedly targeting in free agency. So to also get a first-round pick in (potentially) the first year when HS players once again become eligible to enter the draft is a huge win from a team-building perspective.

Didn’t consider the high school angle. That draft class will be loaded. 2 years of impact players.

Also lol at Crawford and Moore. Hopefully they understood this was coming and planned accordingly. I hope for their sake they go overseas immediately. They aren’t NBA players.

Last edited:
well, i do feel bad for Crawford and Moore. We all saw this coming. From what i have read, the D-League players make like 25-35k/year...i would think that this is less than the average WFU graduate. I can see them going overseas, but i am not sure Moore's play style works in Europe. Craw could be Ok over there. I would be surprised if either sniff an NBA roster, but i do wish them the best. i hope they save their money...

Landry Shamet is an automatic upgrade on T.J McConnell, a knock down shooter and secondary ball handler to play backup PG or play alongside Simmons for extra ball handling. McConnell just wasn't good enough, and Shamet is a direct upgrade on that position.

They just used the #1 pick in the draft on a guy to play backup PG and be a secondary ball handler, and he sucks. Thinking that the Sixers' talent evaluators will "automatically" hit on that role with the 26th pick after blowing it with the 1st pick is a strange expectation. Especially given how surprisingly productive McConnell has proven to be at the NBA level.

They just used the #1 pick in the draft on a guy to play backup PG and be a secondary ball handler, and he sucks. Thinking that the Sixers' talent evaluators will "automatically" hit on that role with the 26th pick after blowing it with the 1st pick is a strange expectation. Especially given how surprisingly productive McConnell has proven to be at the NBA level.

How about we let Fultz play a full, healthy season before declaring he sucks? Is that too much to ask?

How about we let Fultz play a full, healthy season before declaring he sucks? Is that too much to ask?

The rest of his game looked decent (not #1 in the draft but good). Hopefully the shot doctor can fix what's between his ears as well as the hitch in his shot.

I think the trade was good. I would have taken Bamba. Bamba + Collins and two 19 first rounders. They would suck again this year and they can use the two picks next year to jump start the rebuild. I think they missed out on a unicorn.

Unless Young is actually the next Steph (and can get there at a much younger age than Steph did) which I doubt, then this trade is going to look epically bad in hindsight.

Can you imagine the shit the Hawks would be getting if Bagley had skipped college and gone to play for Real Madrid, dominates the second best league in the world while winning MVP of everything and the Hawks passed on him for a dude that looked like shit the back half of conference play. ESPN would already be declaring it the worst trade of all time.

So in the end did the Cavs trade Kyrie for Collin Sexton basically?

I know you could follow the other mid-season trades through with the Celtics players they got, but they're all role players

Fox was a better shooter and quicker, but Sexton is tougher. Given that Sexton shoots FTs at about 80%, it's likely he could extend his range.

Lol what? Fox is absolutely not a better shooter than Sexton when comparing their college numbers. Fox is faster so he got more layups, but the biggest knock on him is that his shot is bad.

Fox: 47.9 FG%; 52.1 2P%; 24.6 3P%; 73.6 FT%
Sexton: 44.7 FG%; 49.5 2P%; 33.6% 3P%; 77.8 FT%

So in the end did the Cavs trade Kyrie for Collin Sexton basically?

I know you could follow the other mid-season trades through with the Celtics players they got, but they're all role players

Here was the trade:
August 30, 2017: Kyrie Irving traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Boston Celtics for Jae Crowder, Isaiah Thomas, Ante Zizic, a 2018 1st round draft pick and a 2020 2nd round draft pick. (2018 1st Rd pick traded to CLE is BRK's pick) (2020 2nd-rd pick from BOS to CLE is MIA's pick, and was added as compensation for Isaiah Thomas's injury)

On February 8, 2018, the Cavs then traded Jae Crowder and the 2020 2nd round pick identified above (and few other minor pieces -- Iman Shumpert, a 2024 pick 2nd round pick, $2.1 million and Dimitrios Agravanis) and received George Hill and Rodney Hood. Hill has a guaranteed contract ($19 million ouch) for next year. Hood is a FA.

Also on February 8, 2018, the Cavs traded Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye and 2018 First Round Pick to the Lakers (Lakers drafted Mo Wagner with that pick) for Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson.

So, at the present here is the net of the Kyrie Irving deal:

Cavs gave up from the roster at the time the Kyrie Irving deal was made:

Kyrie Irving
2018 1st round pick (Mo Wagner)
Iman Shumpert
Dimitrios Agravanis
Channing Frye
The corpse of Derrick Rose
2024 2nd round pick
$2.1 millon

The Cavs currently retain:

Brooklyn's 2018 1st round pick (Colin Sexton)
George Hill (and his bad contract)
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr.
Ante Zizic

In that light, not too good.

Last edited:
My favorite thing about sports drafts, people claiming what was good or bad before anyone steps on a field or court. Absolutely hilarious.

If you have a problem with premature opinions, sports fandom may not be for you.

If you have a problem with premature opinions, sports fandom may not be for you.

I could certainly enjoy your scorching hot takes. I am so bummed Atlanta didn’t end up with Luka, so I could laugh at that take multiple times next year.

Understand your point, but it kills me when people who have never seen Michael Porter or Kevin Huerter play (or have seen Colin Sexton play in one NCAA tourney game), and they authoritatively trash or praise an organization's draft when multiple people in that organization (who are experts at talent evaluation) have literally broken down every recorded minute of action that player's basketball career, interviewed him, his coach, his teammates, worked him out, examined, tested and prodded to the extent allowable under the current state of the art medical standards.

It's equivalent to someone devoting a semester to exhaustively preparing a thesis, and then having a group of people with only the most superficial knowledge of the subject read the three paragraph conclusion and call the paper "trash".

Most critics, even the media talking heads, literally have no clue about who will succeed or fail as an NBA player. Yes, that is the nature of sportsfandom, but also important to put it in its proper meaningless perspective.

Put another way: Essentially everyone here knew John Collins would succeed as a pro. Why? We watched every minute of his college basketball career over two college seasons. We were experts, and we knew more about JC than literally every draft "expert" out there.

Last edited:
But by that same logic a lot of experts who work for teams and not just the media let JC go fairly low. Also made this point elsewhere: teams are always trying to get rid of bad contracts. And it is the experts who signed those players to those contracts. So it’s a constant game of guess work even for the “experts” and they are often proven wrong.

But by that same logic a lot of experts who work for teams and not just the media let JC go fairly low. Also made this point elsewhere: teams are always trying to get rid of bad contracts. And it is the experts who signed those players to those contracts. So it’s a constant game of guess work even for the “experts” and they are often proven wrong.
Totally agree. It's in a very inexact science.

The best you can do is extreme due diligence, but even with that, there are no guarantees just enhancing probabilities.

Lol what? Fox is absolutely not a better shooter than Sexton when comparing their college numbers. Fox is faster so he got more layups, but the biggest knock on him is that his shot is bad.

Fox: 47.9 FG%; 52.1 2P%; 24.6 3P%; 73.6 FT%
Sexton: 44.7 FG%; 49.5 2P%; 33.6% 3P%; 77.8 FT%

It looks like I misremembered. The think I was thinking about him not seeing many shots.

Here was the trade:
August 30, 2017: Kyrie Irving traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Boston Celtics for Jae Crowder, Isaiah Thomas, Ante Zizic, a 2018 1st round draft pick and a 2020 2nd round draft pick. (2018 1st Rd pick traded to CLE is BRK's pick) (2020 2nd-rd pick from BOS to CLE is MIA's pick, and was added as compensation for Isaiah Thomas's injury)

On February 8, 2018, the Cavs then traded Jae Crowder and the 2020 2nd round pick identified above (and few other minor pieces -- Iman Shumpert, a 2024 pick 2nd round pick, $2.1 million and Dimitrios Agravanis) and received George Hill and Rodney Hood. Hill has a guaranteed contract ($19 million ouch) for next year. Hood is a FA.

Also on February 8, 2018, the Cavs traded Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye and 2018 First Round Pick to the Lakers (Lakers drafted Mo Wagner with that pick) for Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson.

So, at the present here is the net of the Kyrie Irving deal:

Cavs gave up from the roster at the time the Kyrie Irving deal was made:

Kyrie Irving
2018 1st round pick (Mo Wagner)
Iman Shumpert
Dimitrios Agravanis
Channing Frye
The corpse of Derrick Rose
2024 2nd round pick
$2.1 millon

The Cavs currently retain:

Brooklyn's 2018 1st round pick (Colin Sexton)
George Hill (and his bad contract)
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr.
Ante Zizic

In that light, not too good.

The irony is they made the Kyrie trade hoping to get Michael Porter, Jr. and they chose not to pick him

It's pretty dumb, as Steve Kerr and others are adamant about, that players who declare and don't get drafted can't come back to school. What is the point in that? Yeah, if everyone declares it makes it harder on scouts and GMs to sift through the heap, but that's what they get paid a lot of money to do.

How long will it be before an enterprising lawyer finds the right jurisdiction to create liability on agents for statements made to a player to entice him to sign with him and "go pro"?

AGENT (who knows the likelihood that what he is saying is pie-in-the-sky talk): "Bryant, you're going to be a #1 pick. With my contacts in the league, we may even get you into a top 10 spot. You need to let me represent you."

BRYANT: Where do I sign. I like what you're saying. You sound like you know more than everybody else."

The Sixers apparently think he sucks if they just drafted directly over him with a first round pick that they surely would otherwise have had no hesitation trading.

Back